Name one feature you would change on the V20

anon(166548)

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
I'm surprised so many people want the volume buttons put back on the back. The main reason I bought the V20 was because LG *finally* moved them to the side where they belong :-D

(I use a G4 for work, and my wife has a V10 for personal use and a G3 for work, so I have lots of experience fiddling with those back buttons)

kramer5150

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
Not much really... it's about as perfect for me as it gets. But since you ask. Make it thicker overall to eliminate the camera bump and fill out the extra girth with a higher capacity (yet still removable!!!) battery. If I had my way the camera glass would even be recessed a little, to help avoid scratches and impact.

Like they did on the V10, make an optional battery door with a Qi charging coil. Who cares if its plastic.

I too prefer volume buttons like the V10 and G4... on the back. That way I can hold onto the sides firmly while watching youtube and movies.

muckrakerX

May 23, 2013
Visit site
Not much really... it's about as perfect for me as it gets. But since you ask. Make it thicker overall to eliminate the camera bump and fill out the extra girth with a higher capacity (yet still removable!!!) battery. If I had my way the camera glass would even be recessed a little, to help avoid scratches and impact.

Like they did on the V10, make an optional battery door with a Qi charging coil. Who cares if its plastic.

I too prefer volume buttons like the V10 and G4... on the back. That way I can hold onto the sides firmly while watching youtube and movies.

I like the way you think.

ABOSWORTH007

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
I wish the camera in auto mode was better. It kind of sucks, TBH. The phone is quite capable of taking great pictures but auto mode is lousy unless you have perfect lighting. Other than that, this phone is just about perfect for me.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I wish the camera in auto mode was better. It kind of sucks, TBH. The phone is quite capable of taking great pictures but auto mode is lousy unless you have perfect lighting. Other than that, this phone is just about perfect for me.
Have you tried it in manual mode? My complaint with auto is the overly aggressive noise reduction. Manual mode doesn't apply that, so the pics come out better IMHO. Plus, you can still set everything to auto in manual mode to use it the same as auto. Just tap to focus, then press the shutter.

ABOSWORTH007

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
Have you tried it in manual mode? My complaint with auto is the overly aggressive noise reduction. Manual mode doesn't apply that, so the pics come out better IMHO. Plus, you can still set everything to auto in manual mode to use it the same as auto. Just tap to focus, then press the shutter.

My dealings with manual mode have been very limited. I don't know enough about those type of settings to make it work correctly for me and I've missed shots when I've tried fiddling with manual mode. I tried using it on Sunday and the screen was completely white.

So you're saying I should set it to manual mode but then set the white balance and focus to auto? How would that be better than auto mode? Wouldn't it be doing the same thing? I'm not doubting you, it just doesn't make sense to me. I'll definitely give that a try if you think it is better. I've been meaning to learn how to use the camera in manual mode but I haven't really gotten around to messing with it.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
My dealings with manual mode have been very limited. I don't know enough about those type of settings to make it work correctly for me and I've missed shots when I've tried fiddling with manual mode. I tried using it on Sunday and the screen was completely white.

So you're saying I should set it to manual mode but then set the white balance and focus to auto? How would that be better than auto mode? Wouldn't it be doing the same thing? I'm not doubting you, it just doesn't make sense to me. I'll definitely give that a try if you think it is better. I've been meaning to learn how to use the camera in manual mode but I haven't really gotten around to messing with it.
Set WB (white balance) to auto. Focus to AF (auto focus). EV (exposure value, how bright or dim you want it relative to the ideal) to 0.0. Don't touch ISO or S (shutter speed). Tap the AE-L button to turn it off, with the teal indicator bar not active.

To test this, move the phone around to put different things in the camera view, including light and dark areas. You should see the live image change as needed, and the ISO and S numbers change their readings.

This puts it in what basically amounts to full auto mode. The difference between it and actual auto is the noise reduction. Noise reduction can help some images, but too much of it causes almost a watercolor effect on the final image. The manual mode does not do this.

If you view the gallery and notice photos taken in manual appear twice, you have it set to save as RAW. The regular jpeg is just that. The RAW file is labeled .DNG and is all the data as captured by the sensor before the app processes it into the final jpeg. RAW files will usually look rather bad until you edit them. It's like cooking a steak, hence the name "raw."

ABOSWORTH007

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
Set WB (white balance) to auto. Focus to AF (auto focus). EV (exposure value, how bright or dim you want it relative to the ideal) to 0.0. Don't touch ISO or S (shutter speed). Tap the AE-L button to turn it off, with the teal indicator bar not active.

To test this, move the phone around to put different things in the camera view, including light and dark areas. You should see the live image change as needed, and the ISO and S numbers change their readings.

This puts it in what basically amounts to full auto mode. The difference between it and actual auto is the noise reduction. Noise reduction can help some images, but too much of it causes almost a watercolor effect on the final image. The manual mode does not do this.

If you view the gallery and notice photos taken in manual appear twice, you have it set to save as RAW. The regular jpeg is just that. The RAW file is labeled .DNG and is all the data as captured by the sensor before the app processes it into the final jpeg. RAW files will usually look rather bad until you edit them. It's like cooking a steak, hence the name "raw."

I was playing around with this yesterday. Thank you for expanding on this. I'll leave it set like this and see if I like the pictures better in real world situations.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
We have that. I use it all the time.
d7ceb6279d410bfd344f689f3d13488a.jpg

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RemusGhostofRome