06-18-2017 07:22 AM
49 12
tools
    I thought that's what mil std 810g meant?
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/MIL-STD-810
    This goes over some of why the mil-spec claim can be misleading.

http://pocketnow.com/2014/07/08/no-t...ged-smartphone

While this one is about phone cases, it talks about how there is little independent testing, and that manufactures can perform the tests in different ways.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile...est-standards/

Also note the tests involve drops onto plywood over concrete as discussed in that second article. Even if tested in the most compliant way, do you think that matters to most people? I doubt it; it's a laboratory controlled test. Even a non-mil spec phone stands a good chance of surviving the occasional drop to something like plywood.

Most people that look for rugged or durable phones want something that can stand up to "life." They want something that can handle a drop to solid concrete while jogging down the sidewalk. Or, as was talked about in the first article, something that holds up to a drop into the toilet or pool and not have the impact at the bottom break open a water seal. The way these devices are being advertised, that's what it's leading people to believe, then they get PO'd when their phone takes a hard dive to the sidewalk and gets damaged.

The spec does mean something, but it's too lenient in its implementation in the public sector to be little more than a marketing gimmick to me. It wasn't even on my list of reasons to buy this phone, much less being a top reason.
    06-09-2017 08:38 AM
    Thankfully for me, its more comfy to hold with a (slim/sleek) case. Naked is just annoyingly too slippery for my use.
    06-09-2017 03:09 PM
    Here is a profile of the Spigen clear case I use. It virtually adds no bulk and along with a tempered glass screen protector from Puregear I feel 100% protected from a major fall.Does the LGV20 really needs protection?-spigenv20case.jpg
    06-10-2017 08:53 AM
    I use a spoken carbon fibre case, with their glass screen protectors. Never had a sent or scratch on my phone yet (and I hope to keep it that way.)
    You got a link to this case?
    06-14-2017 09:05 PM
    So, how many of you guys use the LGV20 without a case?
    Not me.

I have a Pierre Cardin minimal leather case for mine and carry it PDair leather holster.

Mac
    06-15-2017 01:11 AM
    I've been using the IMAK case for the V20. Has sort of a sand paper feel on the back which provides excellent grip. I wouldn't say the case offers much protection, being a very slim case,, but it has certainly never slipped out of my hands while using in the IMAK case.

http://imakcase.com/imak-creative-co...v20_p1722.html
    06-15-2017 08:45 AM
    I've been using the IMAK case for the V20. Has sort of a sand paper feel on the back which provides excellent grip. I wouldn't say the case offers much protection, being a very slim case,, but it has certainly never slipped out of my hands while using in the IMAK case.

Imak Creative cowboy case with stand for LG V20
    Their description calls the case for Samsung LG V20. Did I miss a merger?
    06-15-2017 11:22 AM
    it doesn't, believe me. Got a DBRAND leather skin for better grip.

display protection on this phone is a crime. protect camera lens with 1$ DBRAND skin though.

it's gorilla glass with special thickness, dropped my phone so many times - still working!

even fell into the water twice !
    06-15-2017 12:46 PM
    I got a 3 dollars case from aliexpress and I preffer it over my 30 dollars crystal clear VRS case haha.
    RaRa85 likes this.
    06-15-2017 02:09 PM
    No. Same case on eBay. I've used these cases back in my HTC days. Grip is great and slim. Had one for my V10 as well, but in the end the V10 was grippy enough. This case and the slim Nillkin are my go-to cases for the V20.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/262721730776?_mwBanner=1
    06-15-2017 09:18 PM
    That would suck lol
    06-15-2017 09:45 PM
    That would suck lol
    The G6 already started down that path, so almost as bad. Lol
    06-15-2017 10:34 PM
    I meant a Samsung LG merger
    06-15-2017 10:35 PM
    I meant a Samsung LG merger
    And my point with the G6 is that it's almost a bad as a merger with LG taking it closer to the Galaxy style.
    06-15-2017 11:23 PM
    The phone falls. The parts go flying in different directions. Inspect parts. Be impressed at how little damage has been done. Put phone back together. The only reason I would say the V20 needs protection is because of the slippery finish but it can definitely take multiple drops with very minimal damage. I'm not in the case camp and likely never will be.
    06-16-2017 01:31 AM
    And my point with the G6 is that it's almost a bad as a merger with LG taking it closer to the Galaxy style.
    Gotcha
    Mooncatt likes this.
    06-16-2017 05:38 AM
    with the camera protruding, a case is a must.
    06-16-2017 08:57 AM
    Every phone I buy gets a Otterbox case to protect it. In my opinion they are the best and have never let me down.
    Yeah they are good but too thick for me. I got a free one for my work phone and don't even use it.
    06-16-2017 12:22 PM
    I don't like the big triangle cutout for the camera and power button on the otterbox.
    06-16-2017 12:42 PM
    It's everyone's obsession with a metal phone, doing nothing of benefit to anyone. Moto phones have some nice grippy backs. I loved how the Nexus 5 and 7 felt. For metal phones, I've used the V20 and HTC 10 and it's ridiculous how slippery they are.
    Metal better than glass at least IMO. You can install a good skin wrap that has better grip texture. Or buy a slim case.
    Joeykool likes this.
    06-17-2017 05:03 PM
    For all the "ive dropped it so many times and its fine" posts, lol...

Literally the 3rd day I had this phone upon release, had it in my shirt pocket. Forgot and bent over to pick something up. Fell out, face down, and screen totally shattered. First (and last) time I tried to use a phone caseless (speck I prefer) and without a screen protector (skinomi).
    Joeykool likes this.
    06-17-2017 06:27 PM
    Metal better than glass at least IMO. You can install a good skin wrap that has better grip texture. Or buy a slim case.
    I liked the V10 back the best!
    06-17-2017 06:42 PM
    For all the "ive dropped it so many times and its fine" posts, lol...

Literally the 3rd day I had this phone upon release, had it in my shirt pocket. Forgot and bent over to pick something up. Fell out, face down, and screen totally shattered. First (and last) time I tried to use a phone caseless (speck I prefer) and without a screen protector (skinomi).
    Any phone can shatter the screen if it lands the right away, except Motos with shatter shields.
    06-17-2017 10:38 PM
    Completely agree Mike. My example is def not a knock on the phone build, but aimed more towards the examples of this phone as some Unbreakable super phone. Certainly if you drop it and it lands the right way yes pieces can fall off and you can put it back together and go on your way... But there is also just as good of a chance if the screen falls down face first and hits the right thing it's going to break no doubt. I had insurance on my phone so getting it replaced wasn't that big of a deal I just had to pay the deductible but it just seemed there was way too many examples in this thread that made the phone seemed indestructible without a case and that certainly is not the truth.
    06-18-2017 07:22 AM
49 12