07-31-2017 09:54 AM
64 123
tools
    Yeah if they do that, then they take one of the main selling features of the v30. If that and the removable battery is gone, so will the V series eventually, at least IMO.
    I agree. Some will argue with you though saying the removable battery isn't needed nor the Quad DAC. This is what those people think: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I'd tell them get the G6 and leave the V series to the pros.
    Mooncatt likes this.
    06-14-2017 10:34 AM
    Love it and I'm also rooted and have viper Android installed love love love it
    06-14-2017 05:09 PM
    The DAC doesn't make any difference for bluetooth headphones
    Well the V20 supports qualicom aptx HD and so does my LG tone active plus. And when I connect them I pops up on my phone. It's 3 times better sounding than using them on my G4 which does not support the aptx HD. Also the tone platinum uses aptx HD as well. Look it up it is talked about in many reviews.

https://www.whathifi.com/advice/aptx...can-you-get-it
    06-15-2017 06:12 AM
    I also have Dolby atmos installed along with viper android. Fun stuff!
    06-15-2017 06:15 AM
    Well the V20 supports qualicom aptx HD and so does my LG tone active plus. And when I connect them I pops up on my phone. It's 3 times better sounding than using them on my G4 which does not support the aptx HD. Also the tone platinum uses aptx HD as well. Look it up it is talked about in many reviews.

https://www.whathifi.com/advice/aptx...can-you-get-it
    aptx HD is good, I'm sure, I'm just saying it has absolutely nothing to do with the Quad DAC
    06-15-2017 08:12 AM
    aptx HD is good, I'm sure, I'm just saying it has absolutely nothing to do with the Quad DAC
    I never said it did. I'm just sayin.
    I commented because it's sound is so much better. Even just using lg's tone Bluetooth active plus and platinum on the lg v20 and g5 and g6 than using on almost all other current phones. Good day!
    06-15-2017 08:23 AM
    I finally got around to installing my aftermarket car stereo, so now I have an aux input to use. Looking forward to putting it through its paces, but I need to do some tuning with the stereo time alignment and speaker levels (awesome features to be built in), as well as getting the subs firing. Hoping that's just a gain or crossover issue.

From the short ride into work this morning, I was still impressed. Even without the subs going, it still was giving me plenty of bass without distorting the mids and highs. There was a definite difference with and without the Hi-Fi setting on.
    shadavis08 likes this.
    06-15-2017 01:20 PM
    don't forget to plug the cord into the source first to trigger external device mode
    06-15-2017 01:31 PM
    don't forget to plug the cord into the source first to trigger external device mode
    Unfortunately I can't. The stereo uses RCA inputs on the back, so I'd have too pull panels and such to do that.
    06-15-2017 02:12 PM
    Unfortunately I can't. The stereo uses RCA inputs on the back, so I'd have too pull panels and such to do that.
    So the cord is already plugged in
    06-15-2017 02:47 PM
    So the cord is already plugged in
    Yes. I could get an extension and do it that way, but I've no need. I have plenty of power from the stereo, so I'm only looking at sound quality.
    06-15-2017 02:51 PM
    Yes. I could get an extension and do it that way, but I've no need. I have plenty of power from the stereo, so I'm only looking at sound quality.
    If its already connected it will work when you plug the phone in anyway. Its not just about power.... The Quad DAC does turn on all the chips in low impedance mode. Im not sure if all 4 are active in external mode but supposedly they aren't in low impedance mode. With all 4 active you have cleaner sound.
    06-15-2017 03:11 PM
    If its already connected it will work when you plug the phone in anyway. Its not just about power.... The Quad DAC does turn on all the chips in low impedance mode. Im not sure if all 4 are active in external mode but supposedly they aren't in low impedance mode. With all 4 active you have cleaner sound.
    I don't think this is accurate. The DAC should be fully active any time you have it turned on. The low impedance, aux and high impedance modes are simply gain settings that determine how much power the amplifier puts out.
    06-15-2017 04:04 PM
    I don't think this is accurate. The DAC should be fully active any time you have it turned on. The low impedance, aux and high impedance modes are simply gain settings that determine how much power the amplifier puts out.
    That's been my understanding as well.
    06-15-2017 04:12 PM
    Not according to what I've read from LG and other sources. The DAC is active but it doesn't always use all 4 chips.
    joewoo likes this.
    06-15-2017 04:53 PM
    Not according to what I've read from LG and other sources. The DAC is active but it doesn't always use all 4 chips.
    Cite your source. I've seen this notion before, but I think it's ultimately a misrepresentation of something LG said, it doesn't really make sense
    06-15-2017 04:54 PM
    This goes into some detail that's easy to understand.

http://www.ubergizmo.com/articles/lg...-how-it-works/

Basically it converts the source signal into 4 identical analog outputs that are then added together without adding the noise of each output. This means a higher signal to noise ratio vs a single but higher power DAC. Translation: Better sound quality, which is independent of overall power/volume abilities.

I did read a quote in another article mentioning the ability to enable and disable the individual DAC's. It seems this is possible based on the incoming signal. I.e people aren't clamoring for high fidelity call quality and you're still largely dependant on other degrading variables, so some of the DAC's would be disabled to save battery power without any noticeable loss of quality. Like I said, this is dependent on the input signal, not what's plugged in to the aux port.
    06-15-2017 05:08 PM
    This goes into some detail that's easy to understand.

http://www.ubergizmo.com/articles/lg...-how-it-works/

Basically it converts the source signal into 4 identical analog outputs that are then added together without adding the noise of each output. This means a higher signal to noise ratio vs a single but higher power DAC. Translation: Better sound quality, which is independent of overall power/volume abilities.

I did read a quote in another article mentioning the ability to enable and disable the individual DAC's. It seems this is possible based on the incoming signal. I.e people aren't clamoring for high fidelity call quality and you're still largely dependant on other degrading variables, so some of the DAC's would be disabled to save battery power without any noticeable loss of quality. Like I said, this is dependent on the input signal, not what's plugged in to the aux port.
    Yeah I saw that article and I've read most of the others. I was referring more to the statements of the CEO prior to pre-order. I'm not into conspiracy theories, but they seem to keep how it actually works a secret.
    06-15-2017 05:32 PM
    I'm not into conspiracy theories, but they seem to keep how it actually works a secret.
    No conspiracy at all. No company wants to spill the beans on a new development if they can keep from it. I know of an audio company that specially mounted the PCB's in a car amplifier in such a way to deter reverse engineering, because they designed the first ever full range class-D amp. Heck, there's an argument to be made not to patent some things, because doing so requires you to make certain elements public and thus open to reverse engineering.

So yeah, I can't really blame LG or ESS for that.
    06-15-2017 05:52 PM
    No conspiracy at all. No company wants to spill the beans on a new development if they can keep from it. I know of an audio company that specially mounted the PCB's in a car amplifier in such a way to deter reverse engineering, because they designed the first ever full range class-D amp. Heck, there's an argument to be made not to patent some things, because doing so requires you to make certain elements public and thus open to reverse engineering.

So yeah, I can't really blame LG or ESS for that.
    I hear ya..... Sony used to do the same things with resistors and transistors in their CRTs. They used to resistors, transistors and other components odd values so it was harder to reverse engineer and to force repair centers to use only Sony parts.
    06-15-2017 05:57 PM
    I think this may be the statement that caused the confusion:

"The Quad DAC’s low power mode shuts down three of the four DACs when they’re not needed, to increase battery life when playing lower quality audio or using lower quality headsets. – Ken Hong, global communications director for LG"
    (Found here)

But it doesn't actually mention the gain modes. It mentions lower quality audio, lower quality headsets and a "low power mode". I think maybe people took "low power mode" to mean the normal gain setting, but I don't see any reason to assume that. I suspect that he might actually mean that setting the Hi-Fi DAC to "Off" in the sound settings actually puts it into a low power mode, bypassing 3 of the sub-DACs while allowing the phone to still utilize it for lower quality audio. That's speculation, since we don't have full details of exactly how the DAC works, but I don't think there's anything in the statement suggesting that the Quad DAC isn't fully active once you do turn on the Hi-Fi mode, regardless of gain setting
    06-15-2017 06:07 PM
    I think this may be the statement that caused the confusion:

(Found here)

But it doesn't actually mention the gain modes. It mentions lower quality audio, lower quality headsets and a "low power mode". I think maybe people took "low power mode" to mean the normal gain setting, but I don't see any reason to assume that. I suspect that he might actually mean that setting the Hi-Fi DAC to "Off" in the sound settings actually puts it into a low power mode, bypassing 3 of the sub-DACs while allowing the phone to still utilize it for lower quality audio. That's speculation, since we don't have full details of exactly how the DAC works, but I don't think there's anything in the statement suggesting that the Quad DAC isn't fully active once you do turn on the Hi-Fi mode, regardless of gain setting
    I was told that setting the HIFI to off does not use the Quad DAC chipset at all.
    06-15-2017 06:17 PM
    I was told that setting the HIFI to off does not use the Quad DAC chipset at all.
    Told by who?
    06-15-2017 06:22 PM
    Got the subs figured out. Silly me forgot to plug the audio cable into the stereo output. Lol. Now for the fun of tuning.

Still very impressed now with the phone. I killed all audio from it while plugged into the stereo and turned the stereo up. Normally at some point I'll start to pick up a little hum from the background noise of the phone. This time, I maxed out the stereo volume and there was no noise. Zero. Zilch. Nada.
    06-16-2017 12:14 PM
    If you own a V20, are you happy with the QUAD DAC and getting good use from it?
    If you like it, but have ideas for improvements, what are they?
    I am happy with it. Question though...when I plug in my headphones it says 75%...I know that's pretty loud already, but it doesn't go higher?
    06-21-2017 06:29 AM
64 123