Fixing the bottom speakers

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Forgive an outsider (Nexus 6P owner currently) from asking, but what's the point in having this quad DAC 32 bit audio capability if you have to use studio quality headphones to enable that sound quality?

I typically listen on wired earbuds and don't see myself vacuuming the house or doing yard work with a huge pair of over-the-ear headphones on just to be able to take advantage of that feature.

On a subject related more directly to this thread, has anyone tried this root modification? https://android.gadgethacks.com/how...ce-mode-your-lg-v20-for-better-sound-0176383/

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Forgive an outsider (Nexus 6P owner currently) from asking, but what's the point in having this quad DAC 32 bit audio capability if you have to use studio quality headphones to enable that sound quality?

I typically listen on wired earbuds and don't see myself vacuuming the house or doing yard work with a huge pair of over-the-ear headphones on just to be able to take advantage of that feature.

On a subject related more directly to this thread, has anyone tried this root modification? https://android.gadgethacks.com/how...ce-mode-your-lg-v20-for-better-sound-0176383/

You don't have to have studio quality headphones to appreciate the Quad DAC. The Quad DAC is enabled or disabled by you. The output of the DAC varies with the device that's connected to it. The Quad DAC makes my ear buds sound better even though they are low impedance. I use my over the ear Noise cancelling headphones when I ride the train to shut out the world ad much as possible. With the Noise cancellation active they are high impedance and trigger the high output. By the way there are inexpensive headphones out there that trigger the high gain mode of that DAC both with and without noise cancellation.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site

With regard to that modification i havn't tried it and don't know anyone who has. You can just buy a connector that you plug on the end of your headphone jack that adds enough resistance to trigger full output. You really don't need it though with most ear buds unless you want to blow your ear out.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
You really don't need it though with most ear buds unless you want to blow your ear out.
Sorry, I'm no audiophile, so forgive the stupid question - I thought the point of the quad DAC was higher QUALITY audio, not LOUDER audio?

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
It is higher quality audio. The Quad DAC Provides a higher signal to noise ratio. it works best with high quality sound files, however even lower quality sound files should have noticeable improvement. Same thing with lower quality headphones. You will get some improvement, but the best way to enjoy the sound is high quality sound files and good equipment. High Impedance headphones won't necessarily sound better just because they are high impedance. There are plenty of low impedance headphones out there that will work well with the V20... they just won't get the full gain of the DAC.

Ejjba

Dec 25, 2015
Visit site
I'll say one thing with a good pair of headphones the sound is amazing . This is from someone who lost some of my hearing from headbanging old school speakers from the 70's lol

MDMcAtee

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
Well I think I am going to try to this. The 1 glaring defect is the speaker on this phone. While I know that the plastic is there for a dust cover, I am getting a definite distortion from it, not only on listening to music, but when I use the speaker phone for telephone calls.

I also ordered a new oem replacement speaker for it, just in case this one is bad or gets damaged. Even though this is a brand new phone, there's been enough complaints about the speaker that having a spare certainly won't hurt and they are only $8-10 depending on where you get them.

I plan on having this phone for some time and replacing the speakers are very simple repairs from the YouTube videos I have seen.

On a new note... I got a pair of Sony MDR-7506 last night for a early Father's day gift.. WOW.. This is a great combination of music listening. Very clean and very detailed sound without being overly bright or bloated or muddy, and just the right amount of bass extensions..

Now I know that the speaker won't ever sound as good, but I hope I can make it sound better than it does.

I will let you know how it goes and what difference this makes.

Mac

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bjammmin007