This is a great phone...

MDMcAtee

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
I've been so unhappy these past few years with the phones that I have been using for one reason or another.

This past week with the v20 has been a totally different experience.

If I haven't had Wi-Fi issues or various complications with connectivity on the different phones I have been using, there were other things that I did not like.

The first couple of days I had this phone, the speaker sounded so tinny and with distortion I was very upset with it, but it has gotten a lot better these past 2 days and sounds OK listening to podcasts and music and on the speakerphone. Not M8 great mind you, but a lot better than it started out.

The phone has 0 lags or studders in anything I've done, and for a older SOC that in itself is a good thing.

Going into the manual controls for the screen tweaking has given me a gorgeous picture on it.

The sound given by the Dacs and amplifier in it makes my music with my cans and buds just luscious....the best I have ever heard from any phone before, and I have listened to all of them that were supposedly great and have owned a few of them.

Adding a good glass screen protector and a nice leather minimal case has only made my enjoyment more with this phone, and while it doesn't add to the internals of the device, it does help protect my investment and adds to the overall looks of it, giving it some style improvements IMHO. I love real quality leather products..

I know everyone is different and wouldn't recommend this device with its "so called dated design" but I certainly will because it is designed for the real world, not as a runway model. This phone is nearly perfect for me.

Having a spare battery or 2 fully charged on hand means that I can use my phone without having to wait for it to charge back up in less than a minute, anywhere I am and that is freedom pure and simple.

I have heard the arguments since I owned my Note 2 on the size factor and it just doesn't wash out, this phone isn't a 1 handed phone, and it's not supposed to be.

I also know that a lot of people are anxiously waiting on the v30 to come out and and I understand this since many people love to have the latest and greatest.. But in all honesty I am very afraid that LG will try to do something very similar to the G6 and if they do, this will probably be my last smartphone, since no one will have all the features this one has. I absolutely refuse to have a curved screen and non removable battery and I will wait until one is available or get a plastic throw away flip phone and be done with it. I shouldn't have to settle for something that I don't want to have.

My opinion to LG is very simple.. Don't cave in the the trend that others have done... Keep the features that have kept your fans with you and set you apart from all the rest.. IF you have to innovate to appease these form over function clowns don't do it to the V line. Make the V line the absolute best..

Mac

AtTheHop

Nov 20, 2016
Visit site
They will only. Ave to a non removal me battery to win over the fools that want waterproof. Never needed waterproof and will give that feature up for a removable battery. I use a sandwich to protect it when at the beach.

MDMcAtee

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
They will only. Ave to a non removal me battery to win over the fools that want waterproof. Never needed waterproof and will give that feature up for a removable battery. I use a sandwich to protect it when at the beach.

Yup.. But the fact of the matter is that they don't have to cave in to these people to have a waterproof phone with a removable back or even a 3.5mm headphone jack.

The only reason that they will is to be able to try and get those coming from one of the the other guys phones and to appease the clowns who review phones to say how stylish or modern or futuristic it is...

They have a perfectly fine product line that they can do this on in the G6 and leave the functionality of the V series in the form factor it is. They don't need to change to a sealed glass backed phone to be better than the other guy.... Ilregardless of what any reviewer claims or writes

Mac

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I've been so unhappy these past few years with the phones that I have been using for one reason or another.

This past week with the v20 has been a totally different experience.

If I haven't had Wi-Fi issues or various complications with connectivity on the different phones I have been using, there were other things that I did not like.

The first couple of days I had this phone, the speaker sounded so tinny and with distortion I was very upset with it, but it has gotten a lot better these past 2 days and sounds OK listening to podcasts and music and on the speakerphone. Not M8 great mind you, but a lot better than it started out.

The phone has 0 lags or studders in anything I've done, and for a older SOC that in itself is a good thing.

Going into the manual controls for the screen tweaking has given me a gorgeous picture on it.

The sound given by the Dacs and amplifier in it makes my music with my cans and buds just luscious....the best I have ever heard from any phone before, and I have listened to all of them that were supposedly great and have owned a few of them.

Adding a good glass screen protector and a nice leather minimal case has only made my enjoyment more with this phone, and while it doesn't add to the internals of the device, it does help protect my investment and adds to the overall looks of it, giving it some style improvements IMHO. I love real quality leather products..

I know everyone is different and wouldn't recommend this device with its "so called dated design" but I certainly will because it is designed for the real world, not as a runway model. This phone is nearly perfect for me.

Having a spare battery or 2 fully charged on hand means that I can use my phone without having to wait for it to charge back up in less than a minute, anywhere I am and that is freedom pure and simple.

I have heard the arguments since I owned my Note 2 on the size factor and it just doesn't wash out, this phone isn't a 1 handed phone, and it's not supposed to be.

I also know that a lot of people are anxiously waiting on the v30 to come out and and I understand this since many people love to have the latest and greatest.. But in all honesty I am very afraid that LG will try to do something very similar to the G6 and if they do, this will probably be my last smartphone, since no one will have all the features this one has. I absolutely refuse to have a curved screen and non removable battery and I will wait until one is available or get a plastic throw away flip phone and be done with it. I shouldn't have to settle for something that I don't want to have.

My opinion to LG is very simple.. Don't cave in the the trend that others have done... Keep the features that have kept your fans with you and set you apart from all the rest.. IF you have to innovate to appease these form over function clowns don't do it to the V line. Make the V line the absolute best..

Mac

Praise the Lord someone else that feels exactly the same! I 100% agree with you on this. Tired of buying "disposable" phones and upgrading every year because of being unhappy that the phone is missing a feature (especially with the non-removable batteries). The last two flagships I had were great except for the fact that they had non-removable batteries which meant that they were already halfway expired within 8 months (battery performance dropped significantly). The V20 is near perfect to me, though some people think that it's an "ugly phone" or it "doesn't need a removable battery" and is "better if it was water proof, had wireless charging, or should be bezeless". There's a huge selection of "pretty" phones: The S8, Pixel XL, HTC 11, G6. Why be like everyone else? Does that really help the phone sell? A lot of people still love the old school removable battery, IR blaster, microSD card, headphone jack, etc because they actually use it still. And bezeless phones are NOT practical although they look nice. Can't really use the phone comfortably without bezels. The V series was mean for specific people: pro users that need/want all of these features in a phone. If they remove the removable battery, I don't think I'll be coming back to LG because why when there's a huge selection of other phones to choose from, possibly even more superior though lacking key features that I would want. The V20 in my opinion has the best design, and I've owned a number of phones. Love the burn-in proof and beautiful IPS display, IR blaster, metal and durable back, removable batteries, 2nd screen, perfect button placement of FPS and volume rocker, useful knock to wake feature, flat screen for easier screen protector install, thin and lightweight but not completely bezelless so it's easier to hold one handled or in landscape mode, front and rear dual cameras, quad DAC with a headphone jack, quick charge 3.0 USB C, HiFi audio mic for video/audio recording, 64GB storage with microSD expansion, and much more. I hope LG doesn't become desperate to be "popular" and continue building upon what made the V20 so great and popular among it's true Android fans.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site

You protect your phone with a sandwich.....why didn't I think of that?

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

They aren't fool for wanting water proofing -- different needs for all. Just like you aren't a fool for wanting a removable battery. Not agreeing is fine but no reason to call someone a "fool" simply because you don't agree lol. That is petty to the max.

AtTheHop

Nov 20, 2016
Visit site
You protect your phone with a sandwich.....why didn't I think of that?

WOW, my typing is bad today, I guess spending hours removing one of my toilets and fixing a leak takes a toll. And I did not even get to eat the sandwich protecting my phone. LOL

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
But this begs a question to be asked by everyone... Why are we the minority?

I know why and have touched on it already...

Mac

I did a forum post survey and found out the majority of V20 owners on AC want removable batteries. Now are they trying to get the iPhone market? Those that simply want a pretty, fashionable, basic phone with no features at all and cost way more money to own?

MDMcAtee

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
I did a forum post survey and found out the majority of V20 owners on AC want removable batteries. Now are they trying to get the iPhone market? Those that simply want a pretty, fashionable, basic phone with no features at all and cost way more money to own?

Sure they want that portion of market share.

See, if a person actually really knows what is better, then they wouldn't be so willing to give up one of the best features that the V line has.

The reason why most people want a Galaxy or Apple inspired phone is because that is what they are being bombarded with, not only by what their friends have and say, but also by every phone reviewer and tech site.. Not to mention in the news, magazines, web adds and so on.

Are people gullible.. Yes many many people are....and when anyone starts saying that these phones are screwing the consumer, their fans, paid shills, and others start shaming you for speaking out.

How many sites do you visit like this one that puts Samsung on top, just because of the sales and paints a rosy picture for them? They all say... Oh... This is what people want... Really? No one ever asked me or the countless others that didn't want this foisted on them.. Nope.. Not once have I been asked..

People have been brainwashed into believing that it's perfectly fine to make and want a phone slippery and delicate as all helll without any way of changing batteries in it just to get a waterproof phone.. Unfrigging believable... Oh... Fast charging and wireless charging is propagated as a excuse to do away with it, or even calling it old fashioned or outdated is said...

Nope... There is no logical reasoning for doing away with the removable battery in this line. Not yet anyway.

I'm not saying that they shouldn't make a phone like all these people are wanting, just not to change the V line to appease them.

Mac

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Sure they want that portion of market share.

See, if a person actually really knows what is better, then they wouldn't be so willing to give up one of the best features that the V line has.

The reason why most people want a Galaxy or Apple inspired phone is because that is what they are being bombarded with, not only by what their friends have and say, but also by every phone reviewer and tech site.. Not to mention in the news, magazines, web adds and so on.

Are people gullible.. Yes many many people are....and when anyone starts saying that these phones are screwing the consumer, their fans, paid shills, and others start shaming you for speaking out.

How many sites do you visit like this one that puts Samsung on top, just because of the sales and paints a rosy picture for them? They all say... Oh... This is what people want... Really? No one ever asked me or the countless others that didn't want this foisted on them.. Nope.. Not once have I been asked..

People have been brainwashed into believing that it's perfectly fine to make and want a phone slippery and delicate as all helll without any way of changing batteries in it just to get a waterproof phone.. Unfrigging believable... Oh... Fast charging and wireless charging is propagated as a excuse to do away with it, or even calling it old fashioned or outdated is said...

Nope... There is no logical reasoning for doing away with the removable battery in this line. Not yet anyway.

I'm not saying that they shouldn't make a phone like all these people are wanting, just not to change the V line to appease them.

Mac
The reviewers review from their opinion. That is all reviews are.. the reviewers opinion. They run polls and ask to post in the forum to get your opinion out. They can't ask every single user individually.. it just isn't practical.

Sure some go by what the media tells them.. but everyone who doesn't agree with your points isn't necessarily brain wsshed or anything. Some just truly don't care. Some don't keep phones more then a few months or some carry it till the next year phone.. so therefore.. a battery going "bad" may not be a huge thing on their list of concerns.

I know my buddy loves the battery being removable. He will keep this V20 till it's hurting before giving it up so he'll enjoy the battery being easily swapped.

PAC757

Trusted Member
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I really hope LG keeps the V line of these phones consistent with the V30 or whatever they are going to call it. Honestly, they do not need to change anything about the looks of the V20, I could give a rat's rear end about what my phone looks like, it's going in a case anyway. My personal opinion of the V30 should be the same phone as a V20, upgrade the processor, maybe add RAM to 6gb, though 4 will probably be fine but that will keep the spec junkies happy, maybe increase the battery size but keep it REMOVABLE, if they want to go to AMOLED screens, fine if not that's fine also. Any way my rant is over I just guess we'll have to wait and see if LG with stick with this type of platform or cave in to keep up with all the other manufacturers. For comparison, I was issued a Samsung Galaxy S7 for work less than 2 weeks ago and I really do not like that phone, using it after using my V20, I feel like I'm using a Galaxy S3. Samsung just seems to keep making the same phone over and over again, well I guess with the exception of the S8.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I really hope LG keeps the V line of these phones consistent with the V30 or whatever they are going to call it. Honestly, they do not need to change anything about the looks of the V20, I could give a rat's rear end about what my phone looks like, it's going in a case anyway. My personal opinion of the V30 should be the same phone as a V20, upgrade the processor, maybe add RAM to 6gb, though 4 will probably be fine but that will keep the spec junkies happy, maybe increase the battery size but keep it REMOVABLE, if they want to go to AMOLED screens, fine if not that's fine also. Any way my rant is over I just guess we'll have to wait and see if LG with stick with this type of platform or cave in to keep up with all the other manufacturers. For comparison, I was issued a Samsung Galaxy S7 for work less than 2 weeks ago and I really do not like that phone, using it after using my V20, I feel like I'm using a Galaxy S3. Samsung just seems to keep making the same phone over and over again, well I guess with the exception of the S8.
Something tells me they will. I have a strong feeling the V series will stay how it is and they'll use the G series as their more.. cookie cutter phone? Bad term but I think you get what I mean.

MDMcAtee

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
Something tells me they will. I have a strong feeling the V series will stay how it is and they'll use the G series as their more.. cookie cutter phone? Bad term but I think you get what I mean.

Yup.. I have hopes for this as well.. but the renders point to a different direction unfortunately, and with everything that I have seen happening in the last couple of years, my gut me I'm going to be very disappointed with the direction that they will go.

Mac

MDMcAtee

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
The reviewers review from their opinion. That is all reviews are.. the reviewers opinion. They run polls and ask to post in the forum to get your opinion out. They can't ask every single user individually.. it just isn't practical.

Sure some go by what the media tells them.. but everyone who doesn't agree with your points isn't necessarily brain wsshed or anything. Some just truly don't care. Some don't keep phones more then a few months or some carry it till the next year phone.. so therefore.. a battery going "bad" may not be a huge thing on their list of concerns.

I know my buddy loves the battery being removable. He will keep this V20 till it's hurting before giving it up so he'll enjoy the battery being easily swapped.

First off.. I never said everyone was brainwashed.. And I know that many people actually like a fragile glass backed phone and curved screens over anything... But... If you actually look at what the reviewers are promoting.. then the bigger picture will come into view. Form over functionality... This just isn't opinions from a few... it's in every review about the Samsung galaxy line..

There are countless individuals in the world who have no idea what is good vs what isn't when it comes to buying a smartphone and actually depend on what these reviews are saying. If all they are pushed to is a Samsung or Apple biased reviewers is this proper? If they only see Samsung and Apple phones in the store.. what do you think they will buy?

You said that some people don't like removable batteries.. I agree with you on that.. But I question why? Do you think that if given a choice of the same phone, and that the only difference is that one had one and the other didn't that more people would choose the non removable one...? Why don't this get to a vote on the front page of news here and see... The one thing is that they have to say why... Remember that the only difference is that one has a replaceable battery and the other does not. It does not matter who makes it..

See we all know that it can be like this if the manufacturers wanted it to be. Samsung already did this remember...

We all have our own preferences, I know this, but their are many people who just don't know the true benefits of having a removable battery.. and in the rush to get more people to buy these phones, these companies are just seeing what is trendy and trying to emulate it.. They want these folks to buy these phones.. And they pay big money to have their line promoted in such a way that they benefit most.. If you don't believe me... walk into a Best Buy and look at what is being promoted and what isn't.. Look for accessories.. Walk into most US carriers and you will find the same scenario there.

Mac

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
First off.. I never said everyone was brainwashed.. And I know that many people actually like a fragile glass backed phone and curved screens over anything... But... If you actually look at what the reviewers are promoting.. then the bigger picture will come into view. Form over functionality... This just isn't opinions from a few... it's in every review about the Samsung galaxy line..

There are countless individuals in the world who have no idea what is good vs what isn't when it comes to buying a smartphone and actually depend on what these reviews are saying. If all they are pushed to is a Samsung or Apple biased reviewers is this proper? If they only see Samsung and Apple phones in the store.. what do you think they will buy?

You said that some people don't like removable batteries.. I agree with you on that.. But I question why? Do you think that if given a choice of the same phone, and that the only difference is that one had one and the other didn't that more people would choose the non removable one...? Why don't this get to a vote on the front page of news here and see... The one thing is that they have to say why... Remember that the only difference is that one has a replaceable battery and the other does not. It does not matter who makes it..

See we all know that it can be like this if the manufacturers wanted it to be. Samsung already did this remember...

We all have our own preferences, I know this, but their are many people who just don't know the true benefits of having a removable battery.. and in the rush to get more people to buy these phones, these companies are just seeing what is trendy and trying to emulate it.. They want these folks to buy these phones.. And they pay big money to have their line promoted in such a way that they benefit most.. If you don't believe me... walk into a Best Buy and look at what is being promoted and what isn't.. Look for accessories.. Walk into most US carriers and you will find the same scenario there.

Mac

Samsung has more money therefore more marketing campaigns and sales reps pushing their phones. Heck, you can go inside Best Buy and check out the Samsung mini store (actually used to work there). I think some Macy's women's now have a Samsung/Best Buy store inside as well selling Samsung phones and tablets. LG doesn't have that kind of power to have their own stores. Lots of dollars being spent to pay reviewers under the table to say good things about their phone ("check out the new HTC 11 guys, it's a fantastic phone!" for example). LG actually paid for Zack from JerryRigEverything to do a test on their G6 phone to market it's durability.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Yup.. I have hopes for this as well.. but the renders point to a different direction unfortunately, and with everything that I have seen happening in the last couple of years, my gut me I'm going to be very disappointed with the direction that they will go.

Mac

With the success of the G6, it seems like they might stick with the trend. HTC 11 did the same, people supposedly like it cause it's beautiful. Same with S8. It's a losing battle.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site

Let's hope so. Samsung did away with it. HTC did away with the headphone jack. Sometimes they have to make sacrifices in order to grow (like not including the DAC on the G6). But they're abandoning their true fans if they did and they probably don't care because business is business as usual. I don't want another HTC U11 or S8 Plus, we have enough of those shiney glass curvy phones. Great phones, however getting to be too basic for me and minimal options.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Xd3dp1gX