I did a restore and I'm not able to open my old photo files and they only show "!"

spacecowboy1138

Jun 26, 2017
Visit site
So I was having issues with my V20 so I did a factory reset. I did a back up to the SD card. Not only did the primary file say it was corrupted even the images on the SD card fail. After the reset, the phone works fine again, but when I go into my gallery all the video and pictures are still there but they only show the icon and "!" but I can't read them. I tried loading them on my PC and no matter what program I used, I couldn't view them. They still show the correct file formats and details though. I thought it might've been an encryption though I don't recall enabling it but they don't show locked what-so-ever. The music is fine because I could just redownload them, but the pictures contain a few funny moment with my sister's kids that I won't be able to capture again. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
So I was having issues with my V20 so I did a factory reset. I did a back up to the SD card. Not only did the primary file say it was corrupted even the images on the SD card fail. After the reset, the phone works fine again, but when I go into my gallery all the video and pictures are still there but they only show the icon and "!" but I can't read them. I tried loading them on my PC and no matter what program I used, I couldn't view them. They still show the correct file formats and details though. I thought it might've been an encryption though I don't recall enabling it but they don't show locked what-so-ever. The music is fine because I could just redownload them, but the pictures contain a few funny moment with my sister's kids that I won't be able to capture again. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

1. Did you use any type of encryption when you set up your phone?
2. Did you remove the SD card WHILE the phone was STILL powered on? Doing so will corrupt all data on the SD card.
3. What file format are they? (.jpg, .gif, .png?) Have check the photo gallery settings? What camera settings we're used when you took them?
4. Try viewing the photos on FILE MANAGER app and see if it works

Always back up your photos on your laptop/PC and or the cloud, and or external hard drives. The cloud is the most reliable and fail-safe proof. SD cards are NOT reliable, hence why some manufactures opted out on the feature. Accidental removal without powering off will corrupt all files. I always have my photos saved to my phone storage as default, then back it up every once in a while on my computer. Hope you can recover them. I think apps like Dropbox can automatically back up your photos in case something like that happens again.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ParkerAdams