corrupt sd card

ansa82

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
So I'm using the huge capacity sd card that lg sent me with my V10. All was great then I swapped battery and got this corrupt sd card message?! All pics gone. Wth?! I swapped battery again but still all gone. I've got a lot saved on Verizon cloud but wasn't that supposed to be a super quality sd card?! Why on earth would it all of a sudden with zero warning erase everything and go corrupt?

lucfig

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
So I'm using the huge capacity sd card that lg sent me with my V10. All was great then I swapped battery and got this corrupt sd card message?! All pics gone. Wth?! I swapped battery again but still all gone. I've got a lot saved on Verizon cloud but wasn't that supposed to be a super quality sd card?! Why on earth would it all of a sudden with zero warning erase everything and go corrupt?
Personally I never trust an SD card...

anon(238680)

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Have you tried the card in a PC to see if it's readable? Sometimes the phone loses it but the card is actually okay and can still be read. But, as @lucfig alluded to, they do kill themselves with some regularity. I also would never trust one with anything that's not backed up. If you can't read it in a PC, you could try formatting it and probably recover use.

ansa82

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
Have you tried the card in a PC to see if it's readable? Sometimes the phone loses it but the card is actually okay and can still be read. But, as @lucfig alluded to, they do kill themselves with some regularity. I also would never trust one with anything that's not backed up. If you can't read it in a PC, you could try formatting it and probably recover use.

Nope, I actually don't have a computer ������

If I format it and it's ok I can just continue using it? What are the chances it will do it again?

Last edited by a moderator:

lucfig

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
If I format it and it's ok I can just continue using it? What are the chances it will do it again?
I would say chances are pretty high.

One if these should have happen:
1) An error on your phone caused the corruption, I this case, the card is fine after a format.
2) Your card has corrupted clusters. On this scenario your card will always became corrupted when you reach that clusters.

ansa82

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
EGAD!! That's anti-technology :) I have 4, you can borrow one. Have a Best Buy close? If you ask pretty please I'm sure they'd give it a look.

Lol I have an iPad and the lg v20...no need for a computer. Who would I ask at best buy? Do you think the employees in the computer dept would do that?

ansa82

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
I would say chances are pretty high.

One if these should have happen:
1) An error on your phone caused the corruption, I this case, the card is fine after a format.
2) Your card has corrupted clusters. On this scenario your card will always became corrupted when you reach that clusters.

Odd I didn't see anything go awry...all I did was swap the battery. So odd. Last time I had an sd card go bad years ago It was gradual and pics slowly started disappearing. Anyways...I'm gonna try to download some of the pics on my Verizon cloud back to the sd card and see what happens. Does anyone know....it seems like I have to download each pic individually? I don't see a way to do more than one at a time?

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Use SD cards as they were meant... Secondary storage. Never ever trust it with precious photos you can't get back. If you do for some reason ensure to back them up to the cloud. For this very reason...

Sorry it happened though. Always sucks losing something like that.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site

There might be a very small chance the SD card came off while the phone was still powered on or you actually accidentally took out the SD card while it was still powered on (maybe you hit the power button by accident because it's right there). The SD card is NOT reliable, you're better off saving your camera photos to internal storage and then backing it up later. Only use SD card for media files you already have a copy of like MP3s, videos, or eBooks. I just use my SD card to play my giant collection of music. Another great way to prevent loss of photos is to regularly back up to a portable hard drive, upload to the cloud, and upload some on social media.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Nope, I actually don't have a computer ??????

Most people don't need computers anymore. There is an adapter for a USB C to regular USB, or get an OTG USB C drive. You can back up your photos to an external thumb drive. You can get a 128GB flash drive and back it all up. I have one and it works great on the V20

MDMcAtee

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
I never store photos on the phone even though I have plenty of extra SD cards without backing up to a cloud. I also have a photo bucket account specifically for keeping my pictures on to share.. It's free and you can add more to it if you want.

Good SD cards aren't dirt cheap the ultra 4k capable ones which is the only ones that I will buy these days. Just changing the battery won't corrupt your SD card, pulling it out without ejecting it first from the settings can (not always)

Make sure you you don't touch the contact points on the SD card and if you did, try gently cleaning it with a qtip and alcohol. The oils from your fingertips can cause this too.

Mac

ansa82

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
I never store photos on the phone even though I have plenty of extra SD cards without backing up to a cloud. I also have a photo bucket account specifically for keeping my pictures on to share.. It's free and you can add more to it if you want.

Good SD cards aren't dirt cheap the ultra 4k capable ones which is the only ones that I will buy these days. Just changing the battery won't corrupt your SD card, pulling it out without ejecting it first from the settings can (not always)

Make sure you you don't touch the contact points on the SD card and if you did, try gently cleaning it with a qtip and alcohol. The oils from your fingertips can cause this too.

Mac

Hi ...no the card didn't come out at all, so def the contacts weren't touched.
Really...all I did was do a battery swap which I do a couple of times daily. It was the oddest thing! I literally turned the phone back on and boom
..corrupt sd card message and pics gone. This is the very large capacity sd card that LG sent me as a promo with my LG V10 and it's a nice one. I'm not sure if I should continue using it or not. It prompted me to format it but I haven't done that yet. Secretly hoping when I do another battery swap that my pics will come back (i know that's crazy and won't happen) I still have all the pics in the cloud but I really don't want to download them again. Oh well...I think this was a very strange occurace as I've never heard of a sd card going corrupt from a battery swap.

MDMcAtee

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
Hi ...no the card didn't come out at all, so def the contacts weren't touched.
Really...all I did was do a battery swap which I do a couple of times daily. It was the oddest thing! I literally turned the phone back on and boom
..corrupt sd card message and pics gone. This is the very large capacity sd card that LG sent me as a promo with my LG V10 and it's a nice one. I'm not sure if I should continue using it or not. It prompted me to format it but I haven't done that yet. Secretly hoping when I do another battery swap that my pics will come back (i know that's crazy and won't happen) I still have all the pics in the cloud but I really don't want to download them again. Oh well...I think this was a very strange occurace as I've never heard of a sd card going corrupt from a battery swap.

Personally.. I would run it over to a Best Buy and have them scan it and see if it's bad or not and if your pictures and stuff is still on it before reformatting it. It's worth a shot and won't take long to find out.

I have never had a problem with pulling the battery and corrupting the SD card in all my years playing with these devices.

You did check to see if the card is seated properly didn't you..?

Mac

ansa82

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
Yes, I always do

Personally.. I would run it over to a Best Buy and have them scan it and see if it's bad or not and if your pictures and stuff is still on it before reformatting it. It's worth a shot and won't take long to find out.

I have never had a problem with pulling the battery and corrupting the SD card in all my years playing with these devices.

You did check to see if the card is seated properly didn't you..?

Mac

Yep first thing I did was open the back and check to see if the sd card was all the way in and didn't come loose. All appeared fine

ok so I'm gonna run to best buy tomorrow. in the meantime im in my camera settings trying to set it to store pics on internal storage for now and don't see any options for internal storage or sd card. Am i looking in the wrong place?

Last edited by a moderator: