Why do I have to download txt mgs in a group msg text on my LG20? Why can't it be automatic?

A

AC Question

When I receive messages in a group text, I have to go to each contact initiate the download and then go back to the originator to read everyone's response.
Is there a setting that I can change?

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
When I receive messages in a group text, I have to go to each contact initiate the download and then go back to the originator to read everyone's response.

What app are you using. I'm on Verizon and using Verizon Messaging and that doesn't happen. The sock LG app doesn't do that either if I recall correctly but I would have to check.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site

Go to settings > mobile data > then scroll down to the messaging app > then select "allow unrestricted data usage" as well as "background data". Mobile data must be kept on as well.

Stephen MacLeod2

Feb 2, 2023
Visit site
Go to settings > mobile data > then scroll down to the messaging app > then select "allow unrestricted data usage" as well as "background data". Mobile data must be kept on as well.

What if I have very limited data and don't want to waste it? I'm in a group chat with other android and iphone users and each message comes through individually and I have to download. If they message me individually, it comes through as a normal text. Why won't it come through firstly as a group message, secondly why do I have to download if it comes from the group? It's so frustrating!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
What if I have very limited data and don't want to waste it? I'm in a group chat with other android and iphone users and each message comes through individually and I have to download. If they message me individually, it comes through as a normal text. Why won't it come through firstly as a group message, secondly why do I have to download if it comes from the group? It's so frustrating!

Welcome to Android Central! Group texts are MMS, which requires mobile data, so this is just how it has to work. I recall that at least some mobile carriers don't count MMS data towards your monthly data allotment, so check with your carrier to see if that's the case.

Stephen MacLeod2

Feb 2, 2023
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Group texts are MMS, which requires mobile data, so this is just how it has to work. I recall that at least some mobile carriers don't count MMS data towards your monthly data allotment, so check with your carrier to see if that's the case.

So why does another one in the group who has an android not have any issues and sees/replies as an entire group? Is this dependent on what type of Android phone is being used?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
So why does another one in the group who has an android not have any issues and sees/replies as an entire group? Is this dependent on what type of Android phone is being used?

Which messaging app are you using? Is it LG's own, or is it Google Messages? Open it, go to its settings, and look for a Group Messaging option (which might be under Advanced). Make sure it's set to "group MMS" rather than "mass text."

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc