Music Player

Niv77

Jun 5, 2017
Visit site
Hey V20 users.
What app are you using for playing music?
I have experienced Xplayer 3D
And it blew me away. However the trial ended already so I just want to know if there's a better app than that before purchasing it.
Thanks!

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Hey V20 users.
What app are you using for playing music?
I have experienced Xplayer 3D
And it blew me away. However the trial ended already so I just want to know if there's a better app than that before purchasing it.
Thanks!
Xplayer to see the difference....I haven't heard much about it.
Poweramp paid version....I'd have to install it to see the difference.

LuvMusic

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
Xplayer to see the difference....I haven't heard much about it.
Poweramp paid version....I'd have to install

I too don't know much about Xplayer but every time I test out another player, I come back to Poweramp. I've been using it since I had Original Droid and it just works well. Well supported user group and many skins. Updates have started to slow down but it does everything I want it to. IMHO, well worth the licensing fee.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Tried Xplayer.... I don't think it as good as poweramp. A lot of gimmicky presets. It does not identify my FLAC filez....not a deal breaker. Try Poweramp and see what you think. Its a two week trial.

By the way I couldn't find Xplayer in the play store because they call it something else. I side loaded it and it worked fine until I updated it in play store at which point it tells me my trial is over. If I installed it prior must have been long ago because I don't recall.

LuvMusic

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
Tried Xplayer.... I don't think it as good as poweramp. A lot of gimmicky presets. It does not identify my FLAC filez....not a deal breaker. Try Poweramp and see what you think. Its a two week trial.

By the way I couldn't find Xplayer in the play store because they call it something else. I side loaded it and it worked fine until I updated it in play store at which point it tells me my trial is over. If I installed it prior must have been long ago because I don't recall.

Thanks Mike, you saved me some work. I generally get a little suspicious of music players that talk about things like 3D sound....indicates to me maybe too much signal processing happening which is generally not good for SQ.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Thanks Mike, you saved me some work. I generally get a little suspicious of music players that talk about things like 3D sound....indicates to me maybe too much signal processing happening which is generally not good for SQ.

Some of the presets I tried where just awful. Poweramps presets only effect EQ settings. There are some reverb settings you can play with or use their presets, but I usually run my music clean with just EQ changes.

Niv77

Jun 5, 2017
Visit site
Ooh. I tried Poweramp before during the days I really didn't care about the music so my trial is done already. I forgot how Poweramp sounds. So I'll buy the Poweramp since it's cheaper then I'll see.
Anyway, a lot of people really recommends Poweramp
Will there be any difference between Poweramp Trial and Pro?

LuvMusic

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
Ooh. I tried Poweramp before during the days I really didn't care about the music so my trial is done already. I forgot how Poweramp sounds. So I'll buy the Poweramp since it's cheaper then I'll see.

No difference in functionality / performance between the Trial and Pro. Trial is full-featured but only lasts for 5 days, I think.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I just use the stock player if I'm listening to my own music. The only time I'd worry about the sound quality is on my car stereo. I just did some custom tuning on it so things sound great right from the phone with a flat EQ. Custom sound tuning on the phone isn't going to sway me. It is a little anemic looking, though.

About the only thing I would like is a built in file explorer. I have some random tracks (mostly drum cadences if you want a sample of my music interests) that are all in one folder. But because they are all from different schools and such, using the artist/genre/album browser is pointless. If there's a music player that would let me navigate right to the folder those are stored in and play from there, I'm interested.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site

I forget but trial only lasts 2 weeks....I am running the alpha(beta) version which you search for on the internet

middbrew

Jul 17, 2011
Visit site
I forget but trial only lasts 2 weeks....I am running the alpha(beta) version which you search for on the internet

Bringing up the Alpha version is a good point. I believe that's the only version of PowerAmp that takes advantage of the Quad DAC.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Bringing up the Alpha version is a good point. I believe that's the only version of PowerAmp that takes advantage of the Quad DAC.

I'm not sure that's true. I know there was some controversy going back about one of the other music players not recognizing or not utilizing the Quad DAC to its fullest potential however every music player
I 've tested works.

middbrew

Jul 17, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sure that's true. I know there was some controversy going back about one of the other music players not recognizing or not utilizing the Quad DAC to its fullest potential however every music player
I 've tested works.

Ok, thanks, that's good to know. I thought the stable version of Poweramp couldn't take advantage of the Quad DAC whereas the Alpha version could.

LuvMusic

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
About the only thing I would like is a built in file explorer. I have some random tracks (mostly drum cadences if you want a sample of my music interests) that are all in one folder. But because they are all from different schools and such, using the artist/genre/album browser is pointless. If there's a music player that would let me navigate right to the folder those are stored in and play from there, I'm interested.

The file / music explorer in PowerAmp is very powerful, you can view by either folders or the traditional views like artist or song. You can also specify which folders to include and retag your drum cadence files so they are easier to find. Might be what you are looking for.

ABOSWORTH007

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
PowerAmp is nice but it is really outdated. I left it behind a few months ago and am using PlayerPro now. It's a bit heavier handed but is overall a better player IMO. The album artwork management is far superior for one.

middbrew

Jul 17, 2011
Visit site
PowerAmp is nice but it is really outdated. I left it behind a few months ago and am using PlayerPro now. It's a bit heavier handed but is overall a better player IMO. The album artwork management is far superior for one.

The PlayerPro sounds nice. What about PowerAmp do you think is outdated?

ABOSWORTH007

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
The PlayerPro sounds nice. What about PowerAmp do you think is outdated?
The UI just needs to be updated. They are on the right track with the Beta version but there are no themes in beta so you're stuck with the black and white, which just looks so dated.

Also, the tag editing is horrible in PowerAmp. You have to do one track at a time. With PlayerPro, you can do entire albums at a time. Plus, you can edit tags on the SD card. PowerAmp hasn't been updated in over a year. I feel like a paid app should have somewhat regular updates to keep up with the OS and be constantly improving the app. I've used PowerAmp since 2014 but had to leave it behind. I might go back if they update it soon.

As I said, the album artwork editing is so much better with PlayerPro. You also can have artist pictures for when you're browsing by artist. It just has a much more modern feel to it and while I've only been using it for about 4 months, I've already had a few updates in that time, which tells me that the developers are actually developing. Lol

middbrew

Jul 17, 2011
Visit site
The UI just needs to be updated. They are on the right track with the Beta version but there are no themes in beta so you're stuck with the black and white, which just looks so dated.

Also, the tag editing is horrible in PowerAmp. You have to do one track at a time. With PlayerPro, you can do entire albums at a time. Plus, you can edit tags on the SD card. PowerAmp hasn't been updated in over a year. I feel like a paid app should have somewhat regular updates to keep up with the OS and be constantly improving the app. I've used PowerAmp since 2014 but had to leave it behind. I might go back if they update it soon.

As I said, the album artwork editing is so much better with PlayerPro. You also can have artist pictures for when you're browsing by artist. It just has a much more modern feel to it and while I've only been using it for about 4 months, I've already had a few updates in that time, which tells me that the developers are actually developing. Lol

Thanks for the reply. I'll check it out.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site

I don't care for player pro. I guess its a personal choice.

ABOSWORTH007

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
I don't care for player pro. I guess its a personal choice.
What are you using? I tried Stelio and I liked it but had issues with album artwork and it has some serious flaws with the UI. PlayerPro isn't perfect but it's the best one I've found so far besides PowerAmp.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon