V20 or V30?

jmssarno

Jul 6, 2014
Visit site
I need to be blown away by the V30 in order for me to "upgrade". If the rumors are true about a sealed back, then the V30 would have to truly impress me in other areas for me to overlook the unremovable battery....

I'll stick with my V20 and take a look at the upcoming Pixel 2. And again, if I'm not blown away by what that device offers, then the V20 will be in my hands for another year or two, and happily so.

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site
I'd get the V30 in a second if the new leaks are close to true. I really like my daughter's G6 so a slightly larger version with improved specs...

I'll take it, sealed battery and all

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I'm not planning to upgrade anyway, so the V30 et al. really isn't on my radar other than for curiosity. If I were to pick, though, V20 all the way!

EDIT: Well maybe with one exception. If they went with a proprietary voice dialer, I may get interested. I loath using the Google app for this. Like today I said to call one of my contacts. The text readout on the app was correct and it normally dials right away (well, after having to activate it twice on my headset). This time, it popped up a mini-map with apparently similar sounding people and businesses in my area that I'd never heard of before. Go home Google, you're drunk.

clickerman

May 19, 2013
Visit site
The reason I bought the v20 is that it had a removable battery. If the V 30 doesn't then my options will be very limited, like resurrecting my Note 4.

VoodooMagnetman

May 24, 2017
Visit site
As long as there still is a quad DAC, high quality audio, dual cameras, SD card, and the sealed battery is larger and more efficient, I will definitely check it out.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
If the V30 is indeed plagued by the trend of enclosed and un-removable batteries, are you going to stay with the V20?

Have any mention of the Quad DAC been made?
No DAC = less reason to upgrade
I would think for a V20 user to upgrade assuming they can live without removable battery that it have to have the DAC and two equal cameras but higher megapixel than the G6.

Mjeff00

Jul 1, 2017
Visit site
I've only had my V20 a week and I just came from a Sony that had a terrible battery. The removable battery is a must for me. I have no problems using a decent phone for several years if they hold up and the V20 should do just that. That might be the case for a sealed battery as well, but the odds are the shelf life will be a lot lower.

The V30 wasn't really on my radar due to the timing of just having got this phone but its definitely not if they've sealed it up.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
If the V30 is indeed plagued by the trend of enclosed and un-removable batteries, are you going to stay with the V20?

I think I am. Either that or own both phones. The removable battery really has been proven helpful for me especially when traveling (taking hundreds of photos, brightness at 100%, away from a wall outlet all day). I'm still interested in the V30 however only because it's the successor of the V20 and I'm hoping to see improvements in the camera, it really has to have a dual pixel technology in order for me to be interested.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
The reason I bought the v20 is that it had a removable battery. If the V 30 doesn't then my options will be very limited, like resurrecting my Note 4.

The removable battery is much indeed the #1 reason why some people bought the V20. I got tired of carrying a bulky external battery pack to keep my Samsung charged. Plus batteries are supposed to be disposable and recycled, phones aren't supposed to go bad within a year or 2. Just read the Nexus 6P forums and see all the people complaining about the battery after 1 year.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
As long as there still is a quad DAC, high quality audio, dual cameras, SD card, and the sealed battery is larger and more efficient, I will definitely check it out.

Phone is great for the first 6 months. Then after a year, the battery life drops. That's how they get you everytime. Happened to me and my last two sealed Samsungs. Plus Samsung is still using Quick Charge 2.0, takes 1.5 hours to fully charge. Hopefully, LG will utilize the Quick Charge 4.0 from Qualcomm's SD 835.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I've only had my V20 a week and I just came from a Sony that had a terrible battery. The removable battery is a must for me. I have no problems using a decent phone for several years if they hold up and the V20 should do just that. That might be the case for a sealed battery as well, but the odds are the shelf life will be a lot lower.

The V30 wasn't really on my radar due to the timing of just having got this phone but its definitely not if they've sealed it up.

Removable battery phones will last a very long time. Just look at the Note 4, still see people holding on to that phone. Samsung is deliberately pushing OS updates to kill of the phone... Good thing LG phones still run fast even after many years.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Of course.

I can comfortably use the V20 for another 5 years. If it doesn't break and lasts that long, I'll laugh at everyone who's battery starts to die out and complain on the forums that their battery isn't holding a charge. I also laugh at people carrying a bulky external battery pack hooked up to their phone because they know their phone battery won't last with heavy usage.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
The removable battery is much indeed the [URL=https://forums.androidcentral.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=1]#1 [/URL] reason why some people bought the V20. I got tired of carrying a bulky external battery pack to keep my Samsung charged. Plus batteries are supposed to be disposable and recycled, phones aren't supposed to go bad within a year or 2. Just read the Nexus 6P forums and see all the people complaining about the battery after 1 year.

I honestly would not buy a phone with removable battery as my #1 reason or any single feature for that matter. A phone has to do many things well in order to be a decent device but first and foremost we buy phones for the ability to communicate with others.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I can comfortably use the V20 for another 5 years. If it doesn't break and lasts that long, I'll laugh at everyone who's battery starts to die out and complain on the forums that their battery isn't holding a charge. I also laugh at people carrying a bulky external battery pack hooked up to their phone because they know their phone battery won't last with heavy usage.
It will become tough to buy oem batteries in a year so stock up! I Just hope my V20 doesn't slow down like my Note 3. When it slows it goes. The other issue with long term use is getting security updates.

middbrew

Jul 17, 2011
Visit site
I don't remove my battery unless I'm swapping the SIM to another device anyway. So the removable battery debate isn't one I'm concerned with. The Quad DAC and the second screen are my too loves with the V20. I like the big screen of the V20, I'd love to see what a wider version in the V30 would be like. That being said, some of the rumors are it will be just like the new "longer" screens that make a phone bigger. Give me a wider, not longer screen. There's also the rumor it will move to the AMOLED screen. The ability to pair the V30 with VR is an intriguing facade. But to be honest, the V20 is doing everything I could want in a device and I don't see the V30 having enough jump in advancements that I'd "need" to get it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781