LG V20 H990n screen is on but black and unresponsive

Alam98

Jul 22, 2017
Visit site
Problem always seems to happen when I try to unlock my phone and press the power button and unlock it with my fingerprint. The screen will turn on but everything is black (when I turn off the lights i see the screen illuminating). Then, the volume buttons and the power button becomes unresponsive; only way I can turn the phone on again is to hold down the power button and the volume down button. I've tried factory resetting the phone and clearing the entire cache but it doesn't really work and I'm having trouble putting it into recovery mode. Can I fix this without bringing it to the shops?

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Problem always seems to happen when I try to unlock my phone and press the power button and unlock it with my fingerprint. The screen will turn on but everything is black (when I turn off the lights i see the screen illuminating). Then, the volume buttons and the power button becomes unresponsive; only way I can turn the phone on again is to hold down the power button and the volume down button. I've tried factory resetting the phone and clearing the entire cache but it doesn't really work and I'm having trouble putting it into recovery mode. Can I fix this without bringing it to the shops?

Can you possibly post a video clip of this? Maybe we can help but hard to determine without seeing it. Did you buy this phone new or used? Have you tried disabling screen lock altogether and use the phone without fingerprint or lockscreen enabled?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Also, see if this happens in Safe Mode as well: https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-32496. If it doesn't, then something you installed is causing this problem -- but you'd have to uninstall apps one by one until the problem goes away in order to find out which one is the culprit.

Alam98

Jul 22, 2017
Visit site
phone is new, ive tried disabling pin and fingerprint sensor but this problem still happens at random. also problem seems to be occurring in safe mode after factory reset as well

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Sounds like a problem with the firmware or hardware. The phone isn't rooted, with a custom ROM installed, right?

Guyinbox

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
This has been happening to me for a while now. The screen eventually turns on but it just seems to freeze for 5 to ten seconds before doing so. I figured it was probably an app causing it

Alam98

Jul 22, 2017
Visit site
When it happens, the screen is unresponsive but the second screen display is working but also unresponsive. Cannot unlock phone when this happens, power button and the knock on doesn't turn on the screen