LG V20 Can you charge in the car successfully?

A

AC Question

I just purchased the LG V20 and with two different car chargers the phone does not charge. It shows the lighting bolt icon and "says it's charging" but it actually is getting hot and the battery life is draining. There is nothing in the manual that states it is compatible to charge in the car or not. HELP!

TNCattleDog

Dec 21, 2013
Visit site
Which charger AND Cable did you buy? That information will be helpful.

I am using the Anker Quick charge 3.0 and the Anker cable. All works well and the phone stays relatively cool.

Some other things that may cause the phone to get hot are leaving the screen on while you are driving and/or having the phone mounted on the dashboard in the sun. If it gets to hot, then it will stop charging.

David

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I just purchased the LG V20 and with two different car chargers the phone does not charge. It shows the lighting bolt icon and "says it's charging" but it actually is getting hot and the battery life is draining. There is nothing in the manual that states it is compatible to charge in the car or not. HELP!

Car charging is supported. Mine works even with a cheap charger, but I prefer Anker or Aukey chargers because they allow fast charging. What cable are you using?

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site

Depends on your car. Make sure you're using good quality cables to avoid the phone getting damaged. I have the Anker QC 3.0 charger and it works great. Your car might not have quick charge support and is charging at slow 1.0 speeds, with the screen being on and all, it's probably draining faster than charging. I recommend that you buy a quick charge 3.0 adapter that plugs into the cigarette lighter port, phone will charge faster instead of useless trickle charge. Using the phone at full brightness, streaming Bluetooth, using GPS while charging will make the phone get pretty hot, but with QC 3.0, it'll still charge pretty good.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Depends on your car. Make sure you're using good quality cables to avoid the phone getting damaged. I have the Anker QC 3.0 charger and it works great. Your car might not have quick charge support and is charging at slow 1.0 speeds, with the screen being on and all, it's probably draining faster than charging. I recommend that you buy a quick charge 3.0 adapter that plugs into the cigarette lighter port, phone will charge faster instead of useless trickle charge. Using the phone at full brightness, streaming Bluetooth, using GPS while charging will make the phone get pretty hot, but with QC 3.0, it'll still charge pretty good.

He tried it with 2 different car chargers

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Some other things that may cause the phone to get hot are leaving the screen on while you are driving and/or having the phone mounted on the dashboard in the sun. If it gets to hot, then it will stop charging.

That's my guess. LG is pretty aggressive when it comes to throttling charge rates. If the phone even thinks about getting warm, it knocks the charge rates down to trickle charging.

I personally use an Aukey QC2.0 charger and Volutz cables with no problem.

donebrasko

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
That's my guess. LG is pretty aggressive when it comes to throttling charge rates. If the phone even thinks about getting warm, it knocks the charge rates down to trickle charging.

I personally use an Aukey QC2.0 charger and Volutz cables with no problem.
Thís is my biggest concern about the V30. LG has horrible battery management. If I lose the option to switch batteries, I'm afraid that I won't be keeping it for long. There are days where my phone may only pay 3 or 4 hours. I blame Android mostly though

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Thís is my biggest concern about the V30. LG has horrible battery management. If I lose the option to switch batteries, I'm afraid that I won't be keeping it for long. There are days where my phone may only pay 3 or 4 hours. I blame Android mostly though

What makes you say LG has poor battery management? I'm not saying it doesnt, just wanted to know how you determined that.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
What makes you say LG has poor battery management? I'm not saying it doesnt, just wanted to know how you determined that.
I also stream podcasts as I drive and may simultaneously be using waze for directions. Phone gets too hot so I bought a vent phone holder and with cool air coming through the vent onto the back of the V20 it solves the problem. It really shouldn't get so hot even if it had to shut down on its own. Without cool air I've seen it got to 117 F before I realized it.

donebrasko

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site

For me, I have had the G3 G4 V10 and now the V20. I love them all including the OS. My biggest problem with all of them have been trying to charge them and keep them charged. I have also had the Galaxy Note 4 7 and Samsung Galaxy S 5 and 6.

I'm a hard user, I know my phone won't last a day with my usage, but I've noticed that LG has always been the slowest to charge especially if I use it during charging.

It's crazy. I have had a great experience in battery usage with Samsung but horrible lag to the point that a hard reset is needed. LG, I don't have a lot of lag but these apps kill the battery to the point that even on the charger it struggles.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech