Trading V20 into Verizon

Joshua_Muldoon

Aug 20, 2016
Visit site
Hello all, just had a quick question about trading in my V20 to Verizon. I have paid a total of $336 to them, and I have 15 more payments for a total of $224 to pay off. I wanted to trade in my phone, but to my understanding, you have to pay off the phone to then get another one. I have had that screen issue that I reported earlier, where my phone now has screen retention that occurs after about an hour of usage. Someone told me it could be possible to exchange this phone in for a new one since it is under warranty, but I didn't know if you could trade it in for a new, different phone. Any help would be very appreciated.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Verizon had become rather strict on warranty exchanges. The exchange hierarchy is pretty much like this:

Exchange for refurb of identical phone.
If no refurbs are available, exchange for new phone of same model.
If no identical phones are available, exchange for new "comparable" phone.

At this point, you may get some flexibility. They could decide to upgrade you to the next generation model (I.e. V10 to V20), a somewhat lateral move (V20 to G5/6), or try let you try another manufacturer.

Right now in the V20's life, I wouldn't expect anything but refurb roulette.

Joshua_Muldoon

Aug 20, 2016
Visit site
Verizon had become rather strict on warranty exchanges. The exchange hierarchy is pretty much like this:

Exchange for refurb of identical phone.
If no refurbs are available, exchange for new phone of same model.
If no identical phones are available, exchange for new "comparable" phone.

At this point, you may get some flexibility. They could decide to upgrade you to the next generation model (I.e. V10 to V20), a somewhat lateral move (V20 to G5/6), or try let you try another manufacturer.

Right now in the V20's life, I wouldn't expect anything but refurb roulette.

Hmmm. Thank you, so that means if I take it in and say I have this issue and want to exchange it or whatever they will get me one of those, or just a refurb. V20.

vasekvi

May 5, 2013
Visit site
Even if you did get a brand new V20 it's just going to happen again, if your only issue is the screen retention. And it's probably going to happen to any other IPS screen phone. It happened on my V10 and now my V20. At least it didn't permanently burn it did like on my Note Edge and S4.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Hmmm. Thank you, so that means if I take it in and say I have this issue and want to exchange it or whatever they will get me one of those, or just a refurb. V20.
Unless you're within the 14 day return period, you will be shipped a refurb unless none are available.

Joshua_Muldoon

Aug 20, 2016
Visit site
Unless you're within the 14 day return period, you will be shipped a refurb unless none are available.

Would I be able to ask for something like the S8 an pay a fee for that or something? Thats the phone I would like next, well, the S8+, but I could deal with the S8.

Joshua_Muldoon

Aug 20, 2016
Visit site
Even if you did get a brand new V20 it's just going to happen again, if your only issue is the screen retention. And it's probably going to happen to any other IPS screen phone. It happened on my V10 and now my V20. At least it didn't permanently burn it did like on my Note Edge and S4.

Yeah, I was thinking of getting a different phone. The S8+ in particular, but I don't know how that would work without paying the phone off.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Would I be able to ask for something like the S8 an pay a fee for that or something? Thats the phone I would like next, well, the S8+, but I could deal with the S8.
The last time I tried, that wasn't an option. I couldn't even get them to budge on moving to another model from the same manufacturer after multiple warranty claims.

I asked them about why they got so strict, and what the rep told me was the manufacturers were cracking down on carriers due to all the warranty exchanges being made. To be honest, that wouldn't surprise me considering how poorly designed phones are compared to older ones when it comes to durability.

Joshua_Muldoon

Aug 20, 2016
Visit site
The last time I tried, that wasn't an option. I couldn't even get them to budge on moving to another model from the same manufacturer after multiple warranty claims.

I asked them about why they got so strict, and what the rep told me was the manufacturers were cracking down on carriers due to all the warranty exchanges being made. To be honest, that wouldn't surprise me considering how poorly designed phones are compared to older ones when it comes to durability.

Darn, that's not good. I will have to see, I was just hoping for that phone, but maybe even an upgrade to a G6 wouldn't be bad, just the 32gb is a big issue for me.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I don't know what specials Verizon has right now, but another option is you may be able to simply early upgrade. Ideally you'd use trade in credits to pay off most/all of your current balance. That's about your only real option if you don't want to pay off your balance out of pocket.

Joshua_Muldoon

Aug 20, 2016
Visit site
I don't know what specials Verizon has right now, but another option is you may be able to simply early upgrade. Ideally you'd use trade in credits to pay off most/all of your current balance. That's about your only real option if you don't want to pay off your balance out of pocket.

What are trade in credits? I'm not the boss with the account so I don't know, lol. It says on my account when I look that I am eligible for upgrade as of 12/10/16, or a month after I got the phone.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site

Odd... I have yet to notice any retention on the G5 or the V20. Does it happen as the phone ages? Had mine since preorder.

Joshua_Muldoon

Aug 20, 2016
Visit site
Odd... I have yet to notice any retention on the G5 or the V20. Does it happen as the phone ages? Had mine since preorder.

I'm not the only person to notice it apparently. A couple other people started a new thread today about it as well. I think it was a big G symbol on the side of the screen.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I've had minor cases of retention on my G4 and HTC M8, but the V20 gets it pretty bad.

As far as color goes, I'll take a cooler LCD over the yellow/orange tinted AMOLEDs any day.