To those that owned the V20 since launch, how is your phone holding up?

donebrasko

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
I still love it but..... It's running very slow. Battery only last around 4 hours both of them. That's regardless of the screen time. I'm having Bluetooth issues and sometimes WiFi.

I'm keeping it because I really like it but those issues are aggravating

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
I was browsing my Tmobile site and saw they had the Lg V20 on sale for $280 - I was able to order it and get it on EIP (no interest financing). It's due to deliver tomorrow. I got it because of the extremely low price and to use as a 2nd phone. Plus I really like the wide angle camera, and just tinkering with phones anyway.

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
I was browsing my Tmobile site and saw they had the Lg V20 on sale for $280 - I was able to order it and get it on EIP (no interest financing). It's due to deliver tomorrow. I got it because of the extremely low price and to use as a 2nd phone. Plus I really like the wide angle camera, and just tinkering with phones anyway.
That's a great deal! I hope you'll like it.

mrdave570

Jan 10, 2017
Visit site
So far, so good. Bought 2 more OEM batteries on eBay after ruining one battery (got it wet). I have 18 more months to pay it off and will keep it until then. People still cannot believe that I can change my battery. I have done it in bars and people always ask me what I am doing and what kind of phone this is. On NYE, I was at a 4 hour concert and I changed it in the dark because I am used to it. I have not used my portable battery charger since I got it.

donebrasko

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
So far, so good. Bought 2 more OEM batteries on eBay after ruining one battery (got it wet). I have 18 more months to pay it off and will keep it until then. People still cannot believe that I can change my battery. I have done it in bars and people always ask me what I am doing and what kind of phone this is. On NYE, I was at a 4 hour concert and I changed it in the dark because I am used to it. I have not used my portable battery charger since I got it.
I keep my external battery with me... To charge my extra battery I replaced.

John_Cline

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
I'm still enjoying my V20, I use it constantly, which brings up a concern I have about buying a newer phone; I've had my V20 for 15 months now and for the last couple of months I noticed that my battery had started to lose capacity. Since the V20 has a user replaceable battery, I popped in a new battery and everything is back to normal. I had a Note 4 before the V20 and it also had a user replaceable battery and I had to replace the battery about every year for the three years that I had it. I REALLY don't ever want a phone with a sealed battery so I may be hanging on to this V20 for quite a while. (I also won't put up with a phone without a headphone jack, NO Blutetooth headphones or earbuds sound nearly as good as the quad-DAC in the V20.)

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I'm still enjoying my V20, I use it constantly, which brings up a concern I have about buying a newer phone; I've had my V20 for 15 months now and for the last couple of months I noticed that my battery had started to lose capacity. Since the V20 has a user replaceable battery, I popped in a new battery and everything is back to normal. I had a Note 4 before the V20 and it also had a user replaceable battery and I had to replace the battery about every year for the three years that I had it. I REALLY don't ever want a phone with a sealed battery so I may be hanging on to this V20 for quite a while. (I also won't put up with a phone without a headphone jack, NO Blutetooth headphones or earbuds sound nearly as good as the quad-DAC in the V20.)

After using sealed Samsung phones and experiencing dying batteries within 8-12 months, I switched to the V20. I'm cycling through 5 batteries and right now don't have any issues with any of them yet, battery and performance is exceptional. Batteries were meant to be disposable, not phones. With the current specs, phones today can last a long time and satisfy needs. I think phone manufacturers are starting to realize that consumers want to hang on to their phones for a longer period of time... Apple and Samsung deliberately designed their phones and software to self destruct within a period of time (iPhone OS update slowing down the phone, Samsung Note 4 updating destroying the phone altogether with MMC chip error); yes, planned obsolescence is a REAL thing. I haven't seen and problems the LG and them killing off their older devices via OS update yet so for that I plan to be an LG customer for life. Too bad they followed the trends and ditched removable batteries... but I'm glad at least they are keeping the headphone jack and actually improving the DAC technology while adding really great features such as the wide angle camera.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I keep my external battery with me... To charge my extra battery I replaced.

I charge my battery externally overnight. By the time I wake up, it's ready to go. I see everyone else carrying an external battery brick with a wire hanging out, looks ridiculous. Removable batteries are especially useful before you go out with friends at night... you get 100% battery instantly and it'll last you all night... other phones you gotta wait 1 hour, or ask "do you have a charger I can use? My battery is dying". One time I wasn't able to get a girl's phone number because my phone battery was dead..

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site

Super cheap and worth it.. most mid-range phones actually cost more and offers less. Makes a great entertainment device... FM radio, IR blaster for TV, quad DAC with a headphone jack still, second screen to control the music tracks..

John_Cline

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
Too bad they followed the trends and ditched removable batteries... but I'm glad at least they are keeping the headphone jack and actually improving the DAC technology while adding really great features such as the wide angle camera.

Where dual cameras are concerned, I much prefer LG's normal and wide-angle combination rather than other manufacturer's choice of normal and telephoto lenses.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Where dual cameras are concerned, I much prefer LG's normal and wide-angle combination rather than other manufacturer's choice of normal and telephoto lenses.
I'm the other way around. I rarely use the wide angle, and it's only out of necessity if I do. But there's lots of times I would have loved to be able to have a true optical zoom available to me. It's not enough to make me switch to Samsung, but I'd take a hypothetical V20 with a telephoto over a wide angle lens any day.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I'm the other way around. I rarely use the wide angle, and it's only out of necessity if I do. But there's lots of times I would have loved to be able to have a true optical zoom available to me. It's not enough to make me switch to Samsung, but I'd take a hypothetical V20 with a telephoto over a wide angle lens any day.

Telephoto lens using a 12MP would look terrible, basically it's just cropping the photo so it appears bigger. The higher the megapixels, the more detail you can capture of distant objects such as the moon or a street sign.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site

Same here. Wide angle is much more useful... If you're standing too close to an object, the wide angle will help you out. A good example is taking a picture of a very big sign or statue... or a small room with people.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Telephoto lens using a 12MP would look terrible, basically it's just cropping the photo so it appears bigger. The higher the megapixels, the more detail you can capture of distant objects such as the moon or a street sign.
You mistook what I said. What you described is digital zooming, in which yes you do lose some detail. What I said was optical zoom, which means the lens itself has a longer focal length that gives you a true zoomed in image like you get on full dedicated cameras. Fyi, it's not always about the MP count, and a 12MP sensor would have some benefits over a 16MP sensor.

I'll admit, I haven't looked into the telephoto camera options on other phones. The V20 uses 2 dedicated lenses and sensors for the normal and wide angle cameras. The way it was worded by John Cline is that is how the dual camera setups are with other phones with the telephoto option. If that is not the case, I'll stand corrected, but I do still stand by my opinion that I'd much rather have a true telephoto camera instead of a wide angle option, all else being equal.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
You mistook what I said. What you described is digital zooming, in which yes you do lose some detail. What I said was optical zoom, which means the lens itself has a longer focal length that gives you a true zoomed in image like you get on full dedicated cameras. Fyi, it's not always about the MP count, and a 12MP sensor would have some benefits over a 16MP sensor.

I'll admit, I haven't looked into the telephoto camera options on other phones. The V20 uses 2 dedicated lenses and sensors for the normal and wide angle cameras. The way it was worded by John Cline is that is how the dual camera setups are with other phones with the telephoto option. If that is not the case, I'll stand corrected, but I do still stand by my opinion that I'd much rather have a true telephoto camera instead of a wide angle option, all else being equal.

You're in luck because there is a ton of phones out there with telephoto lens.. OnePlus 5T, iPhone, Samsung Note 8, Galaxy S9, Huawei, etc... you can leave the LG phones alone because the wide angle is what makes it different and unique.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site

You can get an external attachment lens accessory:

Telephoto Lens for Smartphone - Mobile Camera Kit with 12X Telephoto, Wide Angle and Macro Lenses 3 in 1 - Universal Clip Attachment for Iphone 6, 6s, 7, 8 Plus and Samsung Android Cell phone R&L https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0763C88X...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU6166836

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I have tried one, and it sucked. Those things use cheap glass with poor optical quality. I actually had better image quality from digital zooming than using the telephoto attachment. Lol.

And no, I don't have to leave LG phones alone. I may not like the wide angle lens, but the main camera works great for me, and the V20 is the most complete package. As I said in your other post, nothing has a camera so phenomenal compared to the V20 that I'd be willing to give up multiplie features to get it.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon