To those that owned the V20 since launch, how is your phone holding up?

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
How's the phone holding up? Any issues so far? Did the phone slow down, crash randomly, battery performance dropped significantly, etc.? My phone feels pretty much brand new still. Haven't had any problems at all. I have 4 spare batteries that I cycle through evenly, so my phone gets very consistent battery life (plus the satisfaction of going from 15% to 100% immediately). Usually, with my Samsung phones, I'd experience battery performance drop and some software lags by now.

RaRa85

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
I just want to know how many posts have you started? Anyway, had mine since Thanksgiving and no issues. Still all around great.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
How's the phone holding up? Any issues so far? Did the phone slow down, crash randomly, battery performance dropped significantly, etc.? My phone feels pretty much brand new still. Haven't had any problems at all. I have 4 spare batteries that I cycle through evenly, so my phone gets very consistent battery life (plus the satisfaction of going from 15% to 100% immediately). Usually, with my Samsung phones, I'd experience battery performance drop and some software lags by now.

Hopefully we don't draw all the negative experiences out of the woodwork.

Everything great on my end except the temporay audio output issue resolved by a Factory Reset. It was a last resort that I didn't think would work but it took care of the problem. Improved the hell out of my battery life too. It's like I took my phone out of the box.

A Factory Reset is good for you on occasion. I used to do them on my Droids before or after an update and it kept my phones running great. LG makes it pretty easy to back up what you had in conjunction with some what Google does.

My only disappointment and not a fault of LG, is how easy these late editions of Gorilla Glass scratch. I don't want to hear how its tougher to break than prior editions because they were tough enough. Never broke a screen by dropping a phone.

Guyinbox

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
Mine has held up remarkably well. It's still nearly as fast as the day i took it out of the box, and other than some app crashes i haven't had any major performance drops. I'm still not loving the screen or speed of the camera, but they're not terrible by any means. Looks like i might be in it for the long haul with this phone and I'm surprisingly fine with that.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I'm having screen retention issues, but otherwise still running great.

Now to qualify my problem, I believe every phone out today will have something pop up as a common problem. It seems screen retention is it for the V20, though even that isn't horribly wide spread. It's actually one of the more benign problems that I've seen plague a phone, so I'm not too upset about it.

jmssarno

Jul 6, 2014
Visit site
My V20 is still running smooth, no major issues. I just started getting some screen retention, a little ghosting but nothing major...

A factory reset is due, as I like to do one once a year. I've had this device since launch and other than some screen retention, I have no complaints...
love this device

Pixel 2 lost me when it removed the headphone jack. The V30 looks (according to leaks) like a juiced up G6. Although I'm hearing of a V30Plus? That might peak my interest. If The V30 doesn't get me excited, then my V20 will be in use for at least another year.

citronbull

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
I've had mine since launch and had no issues with it. Phone is in great shape, had to factory restore once. Still runs fast, with Nova installed. I keep the battery between 40 to 80% only, so far it seems like the battery still runs like new. It could be just a placebo effect but my screen on time is still pretty much the same.

RaRa85

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site

Now to qualify my problem, I believe every phone out today will have something pop up as a common problem. It seems screen retention is it for the V20, though even that isn't horribly wide spread. It's actually one of the more benign problems that I've seen plague a phone, so I'm not too upset about it.
I had screen retention with the V10 and haven't seen it on the V20 but I'm also on my second device since I fried my last one in saltwater.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site

Do you use your phone at 100% pretty often? Maybe it only happens on some devices. I had never seen image retention on mines. My always on display is always showing something, no image retention there. I do get image retention on my Samsung laptop when brightness is cranked up and is on a screen for a long time, but they go away.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Do you use your phone at 100% pretty often? Maybe it only happens on some devices. I had never seen image retention on mines. My always on display is always showing something, no image retention there. I do get image retention on my Samsung laptop when brightness is cranked up and is on a screen for a long time, but they go away.
Depends on where I'm at, but I do have it at 100% brightness most of the time because I work outside. I've only had LCD screen phones, and this is the first I've had retention issues.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Depends on where I'm at, but I do have it at 100% brightness most of the time because I work outside. I've only had LCD screen phones, and this is the first I've had retention issues.

Might be a small batch of V20s with this issue, possibly a different panel was used. I crank my V20 brightness to max while using navigation, and I'm not paranoid with brightness unlike AMOLED, never saw any. If it bothers you, I'm sure it's covered under warranty.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
If it bothers you, I'm sure it's covered under warranty.

It bothers me a little, but like I said earlier, it's one of the best (if that can be used in such a case) problems to plague a phone. I am under warranty and also have Verizon's extended warranty if it ever gets too bad to be usable.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Hopefully we don't draw all the negative experiences out of the woodwork.

Everything great on my end except the temporay audio output issue resolved by a Factory Reset. It was a last resort that I didn't think would work but it took care of the problem. Improved the hell out of my battery life too. It's like I took my phone out of the box.

A Factory Reset is good for you on occasion. I used to do them on my Droids before or after an update and it kept my phones running great. LG makes it pretty easy to back up what you had in conjunction with some what Google does.

My only disappointment and not a fault of LG, is how easy these late editions of Gorilla Glass scratch. I don't want to hear how its tougher to break than prior editions because they were tough enough. Never broke a screen by dropping a phone.

I usually don't have to factory reset, I just use smart cleaning and clear the cache. Everytime I factory reset, battery performance drops and Android has to relearn my usage habits. Though factory reset always helps especially after OS updates.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I usually don't have to factory reset, I just use smart cleaning and clear the cache. Everytime I factory reset, battery performance drops and Android has to relearn my usage habits. Though factory reset always helps especially after OS updates.

The only reason you see a huge battery drain is because the phone has a lot of work to do after a reset and its temporary.

mbryanr

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
Holding up well. Messenger leaves ghosting, and with a new girlfriend, I am using that more now. Noticed I don't use the 2nd screen as much as I did on the V10. Sometimes I forget it's even there. Speed seems fine. Battery for me is always a struggle. Not much change there either. While checking battery usage just now... Found the comfort view again, and wow
My eyes are so adjusted to my settings I gotta use it.

Guyinbox

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
I definitely have some ghosting with mine. If I'm watching a video i can see my nav and status bars pretty clearly during dark scenes. Is it ends up getting worse I'll probably do a warranty swap.

Out of all the amoled screens I've had it's kinda funny the first time I've had retention problems is with an lcd screen

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I definitely have some ghosting with mine. If I'm watching a video i can see my nav and status bars pretty clearly during dark scenes. Is it ends up getting worse I'll probably do a warranty swap.

Out of all the amoled screens I've had it's kinda funny the first time I've had retention problems is with an lcd screen

Yeah but Amoled its burn in