V20 vs essential phone

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
What's going on with the smartphone market? The essential phone has no headphone jack, all glass body, and boring specs and features, weak LCD display, no micro SD expansion, 3040 mah battery. Geeks are drooling over the bezelless display with awkward camera hole in the center top. The cost of making that phone is more than an average phone. The V20 is very sleek in design and offers a whole bag more of features, yet the Essential is priced at $700 and the V20 costs less than half that brand new. Are we buying phones simply because it looks shiney and cool? Seems like we're heading for a materialistic future and forgetting about the real technology. The V20 is the perfect example of how a smartphone should be.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
What's going on with the smartphone market? The essential phone has no headphone jack, all glass body, and boring specs and features, weak LCD display, no micro SD expansion, 3040 mah battery. Geeks are drooling over the bezelless display with awkward camera hole in the center top. The cost of making that phone is more than an average phone. The V20 is very sleek in design and offers a whole bag more of features, yet the Essential is priced at $700 and the V20 costs less than half that brand new. Are we buying phones simply because it looks shiney and cool? Seems like we're heading for a materialistic future and forgetting about the real technology. The V20 is the perfect example of how a smartphone should be.
Because Essential is new, and LG sort of ruined their reputation with the Boot Loop Fiasco, and I am not sure they handled that well. Plus the Essential is getting a lot of noise but there's hardly any marketing for LG. LG should spend more millions on marketing like Samsung does.

dov1978

Trusted Member
Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
As if any iphone before the 7 series was water resistant

Who mentioned the iPhone??? But since you have, yes the iPhone 7 was their first but at least they the added water resistance. Essential Phone hasn't a year later so you'll have to wait another year and they might not do so if and when they release their next phone

dov1978

Trusted Member
Oct 22, 2012
Visit site

I completey agree. Sure there's a place for gorgeous looking phones that look pretty but I'm sure most people want a phone that's tough, functional and still packed with features but isn't compromised by poor touch screen abilities and being overly fragile and vulnerable. It seems many companies are losing their way and moving away from what made some of their phones popular to begin with. Yes they need to evolve but not completely change course. LG V30 is becoming just a bigger, better G6. Note 8 is just a bigger, better s8 Plus, even the Huawei Mate 10 has changed from a tough metal beast of a phone in the Mate 9 to a 2:1 screened, infinity display, overpriced piece of glass too now.

Bob_Jameson

Aug 21, 2017
Visit site

Bluetooth 5 - Why need a jack? You'll run out of phone in one year if you keep sticking with a jack.
All Glass Body - It's titanium edge and ceramic back.
Weak LCD - How about LCD is more efficient than AMOLED so battery life is greater?
No micro SD - How about 128GB? Everyone is on Google drive or Dropbox anyway.
3040 mah Battery - How about it runs longer than S8?

There's a bright world out there for some people.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I completey agree. Sure there's a place for gorgeous looking phones that look pretty but I'm sure most people want a phone that's tough, functional and still packed with features but isn't compromised by poor touch screen abilities and being overly fragile and vulnerable. It seems many companies are losing their way and moving away from what made some of their phones popular to begin with. Yes they need to evolve but not completely change course. LG V30 is becoming just a bigger, better G6. Note 8 is just a bigger, better s8 Plus, even the Huawei Mate 10 has changed from a tough metal beast of a phone in the Mate 9 to a 2:1 screened, infinity display, overpriced piece of glass too now.

I hope this glass fad will end soon. It's getting annoying. Smartphones are going through phases, copying each other to blend in and be familiar. Metal phones will make a comeback.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Not each other. Everyone copies Samsung, even iPhone. 2/1 sucks and every phone going to 2/1 doesn't make it better. 16/9 is the format for almost all tv and thus tv sports and most youtube. As long has home tv's are 16/9 most productions will be. I'm doomed to old or second rate phones as long as all the premiums are 2/1.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Not each other. Everyone copies Samsung, even iPhone. 2/1 sucks and every phone going to 2/1 doesn't make it better. 16/9 is the format for almost all tv and thus tv sports and most youtube. As long has home tv's are 16/9 most productions will be. I'm doomed to old or second rate phones as long as all the premiums are 2/1.
Well AFAIK Sony is keeping it 16:9 for their flagship. In terms of raw specs and performance on paper it can stand up against the other flagships pretty well. Downside is you don't get a fingerprint sensor if you are in the US. I still don't know the entire deal about that USpatent issue with the scanner on the power button.

MDMcAtee

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
Nothing beats the v20 for many people...

The glass backs being used is scam... and promoted by people who change their phones every year.

Many features that the v20 has won't be showing up on anymore phones because it is cheaper to build and program for fewer features, and have non removable batteries to have a higher water resistant phone.

Then you have all the tech writers wetting themselves for ultra bezeless phones and pushing them.

It blows chunks..

Mac

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
The glass backs being used is scam... and promoted by people who change their phones every year.

Well not really, you can't use metal for wireless charging unless you want to turn your phone into a fireworks display.

Plastic would have been a nice option but you know how reviewers and users alike ganged up on Samsung for 5 years about their plastic phones.

Sure wish Nokia kept to the polycarbonate used in the Lumia line though. That Lumia design was beautiful and timeless. I wish they kept that design language.

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Well not really, you can't use metal for wireless charging unless you want to turn your phone into a fireworks display.

Plastic would have been a nice option but you know how reviewers and users alike ganged up on Samsung for 5 years about their plastic phones.

Sure wish Nokia kept to the polycarbonate used in the Lumia line though. That Lumia design was beautiful and timeless. I wish they kept that design language.
I agree. I had a Lumia 920 and loved its design. I still have a Nokia charging pad that I use for charging my Nexus 7 2013.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Bluetooth 5 - Why need a jack? You'll run out of phone in one year if you keep sticking with a jack.
All Glass Body - It's titanium edge and ceramic back.
Weak LCD - How about LCD is more efficient than AMOLED so battery life is greater?
No micro SD - How about 128GB? Everyone is on Google drive or Dropbox anyway.
3040 mah Battery - How about it runs longer than S8?

There's a bright world out there for some people.

Dont need..... Want

MDMcAtee

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
I took a long hard look at this phone today..to me it's a box.It looks like a 📦 and feels like a 📦 in your hands and that in itself would keep me from buying it.

Mac

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12