08-04-2018 08:42 AM
28 12
tools
    My v20 shuts down when reaching 20% sometimes but never makes it under 10% without shutting down anyone else have this problem kinda anoyying to say the least and really bad if need in emergency
    08-30-2017 12:08 AM
    Sounds like you need a new battery.
    H3aTeRzz likes this.
    08-30-2017 12:19 AM
    battery lasts normal and charges fast so dont think need new battery
    08-30-2017 01:05 AM
    battery lasts normal and charges fast so dont think need new battery
    It doesn't sound like it's lasting normal to me, if the phone is shutting down at 20%.
    H3aTeRzz likes this.
    08-30-2017 01:58 AM
    battery lasts all day long but once it hits 20 % itll shut down without warning, shouldnt it get to 5 % before it shuts down ,i didnt make a habit of running down that low
    08-30-2017 02:23 AM
    Two V20's, four OEM batteries, same problem. Once the phone hits 15%, it's usually moments before it dies. My girlfriend and I are lucky to get down to 5% or even 0%. 15% means the phone is about to die. Sometimes my girlfriend's dies over 15% whereas mine usually dies a few minutes after hitting 15%.

I will not be buying the V30.
    08-30-2017 04:25 AM
    My Samsung S4 did the same thing. I don't think this is un-intentional. I only use real LG batteries on my V20 and it never died at 15% or at 10%. I got it down to 10% twice and I swapped batteries because it complained about preventing some tasks. Most high end phones need 10-15% battery to do CPU intensive stuff like taking photos or running apps.
    08-30-2017 10:39 AM
    Most high end phones need 10-15% battery to do CPU intensive stuff like taking photos or running apps.
    This is hinting at what I'm thinking too. As batteries age, they suffer from voltage sag. Basically, when you put a load on it, the voltage drops temporarily. Normally it's not a big drop and it will recover. When it's near the end of its life, that sag is more pronounced and the voltage drops substantially more for a given load, which is what causes it to shut down before hitting 0%.

If you drain your battery completely before charging, it causes premature aging. Ditto if you keep it plugged in all the time. This is why it's usually recommended to charge your phone when it hits about 40%, then unplug it once it's full. Li-ion and Lipo batteries like being in the middle of the charge range.
    H3aTeRzz likes this.
    08-30-2017 11:57 AM
    then unplug it once it's full
    It's really much better for the battery not to fully charge it. AccuBattery recommends only charging to 80%. I've had some laptops that recommended unplugging at 70%.
    08-30-2017 12:59 PM
    It's really much better for the battery not to fully charge it. AccuBattery recommends only charging to 80%. I've had some laptops that recommended unplugging at 70%.
    I don't disagree, but here's my caveat and why I don't go that detailed most of the time. When most people unplug their phone, they start using it right away. Keeping the phone at 100% doesn't cause damage as quickly as taking it to zero, and it's not being held at a "high charge" of 75% or more.

So at this point it's a matter of if you want to trade the convenience of less frequent charging for what may be a negligible increase in overall battery life. For most people, they likely won't see a noticeable difference and by then other reasons could cause them to change out the battery early, if not trade in the phone itself.

If you're one that can start the day with a full charge and it only drops to 70% by night time because you don't do much with it, then yes I would suggest charging to no more than 80% or preferably 75%. If you use it a ton but still keep it between 40-75% more often than not, then more power to you (pun only slight intended. Lol).
    H3aTeRzz likes this.
    08-30-2017 01:18 PM
    Maybe you can try to calibrate your battery:

"Hi, I had the same problem after 4.3 update. I did not want to do a factory, and going from a lot of posts this does not work anyway. I also didn’t want to turn off a lot of processes I previously had running. I just wanted the same level of performance as before. After doing a little research I have come believe it is a battery calibration issue. This worked for me. Charge your phone to 100%, goto keypad, type in *#0228#. This will take you to a battery status screen. Press quick start at the bottom of the screen. Your screen will go blank for a few seconds. Press the home key. Your battery percentage should have dropped. Charge to 100% and repeat the process. After a few times the drop should be negligible. Allow the battery to completely discharge and repeat. Hope this helps. Good luck."
    08-30-2017 03:01 PM
    Maybe you can try to calibrate your battery:

"Hi, I had the same problem after 4.3 update. I did not want to do a factory, and going from a lot of posts this does not work anyway. I also didn’t want to turn off a lot of processes I previously had running. I just wanted the same level of performance as before. After doing a little research I have come believe it is a battery calibration issue. This worked for me. Charge your phone to 100%, goto keypad, type in *#0228#. This will take you to a battery status screen. Press quick start at the bottom of the screen. Your screen will go blank for a few seconds. Press the home key. Your battery percentage should have dropped. Charge to 100% and repeat the process. After a few times the drop should be negligible. Allow the battery to completely discharge and repeat. Hope this helps. Good luck."
    Doesn't work on Verizon.
    08-31-2017 11:21 AM
    Have you tried a full factory reset? And have you tried a new battery? (Costs $10)

Also, are you using the OEM battery and USB cable?
    09-03-2017 03:06 AM
    Have you tried a full factory reset? And have you tried a new battery? (Costs $10)

Also, are you using the OEM battery and USB cable?
    I have a total of four OEM batteries being used between two V20's. All four batteries and both phones have this issue before and after factory resets.
    H3aTeRzz likes this.
    09-04-2017 01:51 PM
    Both phones have that issue? That's really weird!
    09-04-2017 02:10 PM
    I had 2 batteries that I would swap out daily. And they both started doing the same thing. At around 8-10 percent the phone died. It was getting worse by the day too. So I bought another battery and the battery lasts all the way to 0. It's the battery...
    09-08-2017 04:27 PM
    Same thing occasionally happens in my MXPE. 15%-20% and it'll crap out on me but not all the time.
    snappedandgotapre likes this.
    09-09-2017 10:32 AM
    I had 2 batteries that I would swap out daily. And they both started doing the same thing. At around 8-10 percent the phone died. It was getting worse by the day too. So I bought another battery and the battery lasts all the way to 0. It's the battery...
    I think as they age the percentage at the low end is not as accurate and less forgiving.
    09-09-2017 11:30 AM
    So OEM batteries are trash it seems.
    09-13-2017 11:39 AM
    So OEM batteries are trash it seems.
    They most certainly can be. Bad batteries can be made by anyone. Four identically-bad batteries seems less likely.

In my experience, batteries tend to last me about 6-7 months before I start noticing shorter battery life, then within 8-10 months it's really noticeable. Usually within a year, I start getting the famous "10-20%, we're good to go for a little longer... and it's dead" symptom.

But if these batteries are just a few months old and are genuine OEM from a reputable vendor, that should be a warranty claim.
    09-13-2017 05:18 PM
    I've got 4 different batteries with 2 different G5s - Same issue... I really have to scrutinize all 4 batteries, but so far the ones my wife keeps using keeps dying while my son's is also behaving the same way. I think only 1 or 2 of them is not doing it.
    02-25-2018 12:31 AM
    The battery is dead.

It's also possible the charge-level sensor is out of calibration, but unlikely. To calibrate it wait until it shuts off on its own and then charge it fully with the PHONE OFF.

But if it happens again, and it probably will, the battery is toast.

What's going on is that there is a low-voltage safety cut-off for Lithium chemistry cells. The reason it's present is that over-discharge can result in an internal short in the battery, which will then cause the cell to overheat and explode when charged. There is a protocol to get around this risk (essentially you charge it at a VERY LOW current level until the voltage comes up; this detects the short if it exists and avoids the problem) but you don't want to short the cell as that ruins it permanently.

As cells age they cannot deliver current at the required level without the voltage collapsing. If the voltage collapses then the phone detects that as a low-voltage cutoff violation and shuts down. If it happens materially before the power level is at 0% (fully discharged) then the cell is junk. It may appear to charge and work ok but if you actually measure its capacity using an accurate means (I have a bench charger/discharging unit that can do so) you'll find it's pretty-materially deficient in its capacity.

The reason Accubattery (and others) recommend only charging to 80% is partly because fully-charging Lithium chemistry cells does do more cycle damage than not (and there's no "memory effect" to avoid with them) but also because cellphone manufacturers intentionally over-drive the charge rate to shorten charge times. The correct means to charge a Lithium chemistry cell requires 3 or 4 hours, and nobody wants to wait that long. You can get into the 60-80% range very rapidly (with careful calibration of the charge controller you can run your charge rate at 1C, which would mean at 3,000ma for this battery) but once you reach 4.2V you hold voltage constant until current drops to about 3% of rated capacity in ma/h (so in this case that would be about 100ma.)

The problem with doing this is that the saturation charge cycle is a couple of hours. Total charge time doesn't change much but the higher the rate you run the bulk charge at the lower the actual capacity when the threshold voltage is reached, so if you were to charge at 3,000ma you'd probably see threshold at 60-65% instead of 80% if you ran the charge at 1,500ma.

Manufacturers however want to sell you "fast charge time!" so they run their bulk phase up higher, in some cases in excess of 4.3V. Beyond 4.3V there is risk, in that plating of lithium can happen and if it does you can get plating of metallic lithium, gas production in the cell (which makes it bulge) and ultimately the potential for thermal runaway and fire. The cells are supposed to have both a temperature and pressure switch in them that permanently disconnects the output if this happens (but as we've seen with certain phones and laptops that doesn't always work.) The other issue, however, is that stuffing the charge rate like this stresses the battery severely and shortens its service life -- it will take what was a 500-cycle battery and turn it into a 200-cycle one.

The only defense against that -- and the manufacturer's decision to screw battery life in favor of "fast charging" -- since you can't reprogram the charge controller is to disconnect it at 80% or so and do not "float charge" (e.g. leave the phone plugged in overnight) at all.

BTW there are some manufacturers of laptops (specifically, Lenovo in their X220) that come with their chargers set to NOT do this (they only charge to 95% and use a proper taper with NO float charge, so it really does take 3 hours or so to fully charge their batteries!) and the difference in service life is very, very material. I have one of these and have had to replace the battery exactly once in seven years of ownership; the replacement is still well within manufacturing tolerance (about 90% of original capacity.)
    mwake4goten and Mooncatt like this.
    02-25-2018 09:13 AM
    I have the Huawei Honor 3c lite.....and the phone was 3 years old the battery started to make a problem....when I unplug my phone in 70%..when it goes down to a 20%..it just shutting off the phone without the warning message..
    03-22-2018 03:16 PM
    I have the Lenovo tab 2 a7-30..I just bought a 3.0A plug adapter for my tablet..but it still slow.. is there any ways to fix this issues? ..
    03-22-2018 03:21 PM
    My wife and I both have the LG V20 and both of them just randomly shut off between 24% and 28% any day and every day. I just don't get it. Every Samsung we have had before this LG has gone down to almost 0% before turning off. It started about 6 months ago right after an LG major update was installed. It is so frustrating. Battery life on the LG V20 is horrible and I knew that from the reviews before purchasing them, but I didn't think it would be this bad. I love the quality of the sound for the V20. Which was my deciding factor when making this purchase. I have 7,500 songs on my memory card and I play music all day at work on my Bluetooth. I come home and my phone is sitting on my counter while eating dinner and talking with friends. It was at 78% when we started dinner, two hours later I open the phone and look at a few things and the next thing I know it's a black screen! I put the charging cable in and it shows the battery screen which is at 28%. I really wanted LG to give Samsung a run for their money, but it just isn't happening for me. If they don't improve things quickly, I am going back to Samsung.
    S3rena likes this.
    04-11-2018 11:36 PM
28 12