Welp, I guess I'm sticking with the V20 for at least a another year.

vasekvi

May 5, 2013
Visit site
My S7 doesn't get plugged in that often, it has great battery life and sits on a wireless charger most of the time it isn't in my hand.

Honestly I was one who hated sealed batteries, but I also haven't found a need for a spare battery since 2012 with my Note 2. Once I got my Note 4 it had good enough battery life combined with fast charge I typically only charged it in the morning while I got ready for work. It's been 5 years since I had a phone that didn't last my work day, otherwise I do have an outlet and charger near me almost 24/7 anyway.
That's great for you. Most of us who want replaceable batteries use our phones much more and have come to rely heavily on that feature. There is just no comparison. It's a feature that we will sorely sorely miss.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
A battery is not a battery. They have different designs depending on if it is removable or not. That design can make you lose efficiency and size whether you want to accept it or not. As for factory defects as a consumer you can't tell squat about if it's a defect or just due to charging. Plus a defect can become more apparent or come faster depending on how it is charged.

Fast charging still runs the risk of overheating the battery and causing thermal runaway.

You still didn't clarify how being removable inherently makes a battery less efficient. Sure, technologies advance, but you can take that newer, perhaps more efficient, battery, put a protective case on it, and make it a removable design. If the added size to do so is your concern, I stated my opinion on that already and would welcome a thicker phone.

When a battery goes poof in a couple months, no charging habit will cause that. Reduced life, yes, but not full on shorting out, running away, and other catastrophic events.

Phones are designed to protect themselves from overheating. Fast charging alone will not cause problems and things will stay cool. Using the phone while charging results in throttled charge rates and processing power. You have to pretty much abuse the phone to get it to heat up enough to risk battery damage. I.e. Running GPS while making a phone call, and having the phone on a hot car dash. But hey, if you do somehow hurt the battery doing so, you're only out the cost of the battery and maybe a couple days shipping the replacement. You're not having to ship the phone somewhere and/or paying a huge repair bill for someone to replace a sealed battery.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I don't have to. I'm not an engineer but the technology isn't there to make it as efficient as the internally sealed ones.

If you don't understand the claim you're making, then don't make the claim. I'm open to the concept, but since you made the claim, it's on you to justify it. I'm not going out of my way to understand your point since I've already researched battery health and usage habits in the past.

So perhaps you can at least clarify what you mean by efficiency? Capacity is a set amount and it's up to the hardware in the phone that determines how efficiently that capacity is used. So I'm guessing that's not what you're referring to. If it's internal resistance and such, that is still made comparable by the design of a removable battery. Yes, there are differences that can determine how quickly a battery can charge/discharge safely, but it's not inherent to the design of sealed vs removable, nor do I think our phones reach those limits to be meaningful.

Even within a few months it could be charging or a combination of the two. Unless you have the tech and know how you can't say for sure nor can I.

Battery University has loads of good info on the use and care of all sorts of batteries, including lithium based rechargeables. I've also learned a lot from others in the RC helicopter communities (who spend hundreds, if not thousands on charging setups and batteries). Not once have I heard of charging habits causing anything more than premature capacity loss. The only exceptions would be if there were a defect in the battery, the charger, or one of those modelers programming the charger for something like having the wrong voltage.

And it's usually $50 for a replacement battery vs a free replacement through warranty...I'd rather choose the warranty lol

I'd rather replace it myself, keep my own phone and data privacy under my control, than to play refurbish roulette through a warranty claim plus the hassle of setting up a new phone.

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
I don't have to understand it. It has been made by manufacturers and battery engineers that I know personally. Don't tell me what claims I can and can't make lol. Then don't. It's your loss for not educating yourself.

Efficiency by all batteries is how well power is used. Inefficiency is energy transferred as heat and not into the phones components. Yes our phones have reached their limits for lithium ion technology. That is a well known fact. That's why fuel cell technology is the new field.

From the battery engineers I referred to at Michigan State and Iowa State they have said charging habits do effect litium ion lifespan.

I know how hard the warranty process but I'd rather do that than pay the rediculiously high price for a new battery charging kit when it's under warranty. Your security can easily be protected using two encryption and factory resets. No one in the world would be able to access it lol
Would you please tell us your sources? For example, please post a link to a website that mentions this supposed loss of efficiency in removable batteries?

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
No I would not like to to out of my way to post this. I'm not a walking encyclopedia. Samsung and LG have said this and I think even Apple had.
Where is the evidence? Why should I simply take your word as fact, rather than opinion?

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
This thread is on break. Let's all be civil. Disagreements are welcome but let's not go down the insult path.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Figure it out yourself? Like I said I'm not a walking encyclopedia. I found the information some time ago.
A Google search just gives me several articles as to pros and cons of a removable vs nonremovable battery, with no mention of any change in efficiency of the battery. Which leads me to believe, with consideration of the fact that you said you heard it some time before, that you could be simply mistaken in your memories.

Further, casual reading also points out that sealed batteries are easier (ergo more efficient) TO MANUFACTURE, compared to non sealed. This allows the manufacturer to do away with several internal parts that serves nothing else other than to hold the casing together. This also allows for a stronger construction with simpler internal design. Easier to manufacture but stronger = efficient production.

Also internal batteries can be custom designed or shaped to fit better in the device, as opposed to replaceable ones which need to have a standard shape to be user replaceable since they also have to take into accounr designing the opening but keeping the internals safe.

vasekvi

May 5, 2013
Visit site
I got my V20 in November last year. I got a spare battery kit shortly after. Nowadays, my phone sometimes just does before the battery gets to 0%, whether it be the phone simply just immediately posting off or going through the powering down command. This indicates a drop in battery health. My V10 did that too. So did my Note Edge before that. Battery technology is improving, but still not to the point where I am comfortable not having access to it.

I know that there are ways to help keep a battery healthy, and that the deeper the depth of discharge, the less charge cycles I can get to an exponential level. But a phone is a tool, and I use it the way I need to. I am not going to be babysitting my batteries. At least not got another year till I figure out what phone is next.

RaRa85

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
I do not see the V30 as an upgrade . I really thought LG would maintain the V line of phones unique instead of just following the Samsung design. They came out with a close enough Samsung clone with the G6. To me personally the V30 is just another version of the G6. My V20 with 2 spare batteries and charger will surffice just fine for another year, by then maybe this trend of tall skinny screens and small sealed batteries will change.
I know how you feel but this is the first V series phone with mass appeal and not for a niche group of people. I think this was necessary for better sales(I'm assuming this will be a huge hit for LG) and less compromise according to the trends. As much as we love the uniqueness and features of the V10 and V20, LG's willingness to buck the popular trends limited those phones to only enthusiasts like us. The V30 is the opposite and the most beautiful phone LG has made.

RaRa85

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
Before you drink the T-Mobile kool-Aid find someone with their service in your area to see how well that perform. My brother has them and it is bad in his area.
I've been with T-Mobile since 2007 and they're not serving Kool-Aid. They're serving sweet tea. From 2007 to 2017 I've seen T-Mobile constantly improve their service area. In a little old southern town of Walterboro,SC I watched the service go from no coverage to spotty coverage to just this year 4G. I have no complaints. I live in Baltimore now so really no problems with coverage here.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
This was from Samsung, LG and Apple. Perhaps they were biased but it wasn't mistake from memory.

Correct on your final two parts.
Again, the lack of any supporting evidence for your claims simply lets me dismiss your claims as anecdotal. My Google search provides no evidence Samsung or LG ever said such a thing.

It is not on me or any of us to prove your claims. It's your claims. I wonder where you got that idea. It's always on the first speaker to validate his claims. Otherwise it's just a hoax.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
You also lose efficiency and size of the battery by having it removable. And you can use precautions from bricking your phone. Don't use fast charging, use chargers that follow USB charging standards.l, unplug it when it's done charging etc.

Most phones stop charging when they are done.

Last edited:

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Do you mean done? If so, yes the phones will stop charging, but leaving them plugged in allows the battery to remain at a high charge level that can accelerate degradation.

Almost everything I've ever heard about battery degradation either gets contradicted or in some cases is minimal. I don't follow any of the rules and the phones I've held onto the longest still had decent battery life. I can't be bothered following all the rules.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
A battery is not a battery. They have different designs depending on if it is removable or not. That design can make you lose efficiency and size whether you want to accept it or not. As for factory defects as a consumer you can't tell squat about if it's a defect or just due to charging. Plus a defect can become more apparent or come faster depending on how it is charged.

Fast charging still runs the risk of overheating the battery and causing thermal runaway.

The only difference in design between external and internal batteries is shape and exterior materials.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Most are wrong. There's only a few valid ones out there. Many are mistakingly brought over from the nickel cadium days.

Almost everything I've ever heard about battery degradation either gets contradicted or in some cases is minimal. I don't follow any of the rules and the phones I've held onto the longest still had decent battery life. I can't be bothered following all the rules.

Even battery university is out of date in some ways. They're still computing for 500 charge cycles when a 2013 research has already pegged average consumer grade batteries at at least 2000 cycles.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol