Camera or Android (or third party app) issue?

cirerebew

Mar 23, 2017
Visit site
I use an app for secure banking that requires scanning of a dotted colour QR code to login, which is done via the app itself. I have noticed with my V20 (H990DS on Android 7) that when I focus on the QR code, the phone briefly vibrates and the QR pic I see on the screen becomes a little blurry - which then results in a failed login. I've rescanned countless times, and have also re-installed the app at least three times, all with the same result :-

Am trying to understand if this is a camera-, Android- or app issue (or any combination thereof!). I've tried different pic settings, as well as manual mode, with / without grid, different video resolutions - all to no avail, since the code scanning happens within the banking app itself and not via the camera app.

Note I use the same app on other Android devices (note: Android 6) as well as on iOS device, and I do NOT have this issue there.

Would be most grateful if somebody could point me in the right direction as to how to address this. Thanks!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! This kind of thing is almost always due to the banking app. When these apps started adding a feature to deposit a check by taking a picture, there were plenty of complaints about glitches. Send some feedback to the developer of the banking app to let them know about the problem.

One similar example I can describe to you is the barcode scanning feature for two of my shopping apps. With the Target app, it focuses lightning fast on the barcode. With the Safeway app, it's very sluggish, and sometimes can't seem to focus at all. So it's dependent on the app, not the camera itself (assuming you don't have any autofocus issues when you're using the Camera app itself).

cirerebew

Mar 23, 2017
Visit site
Many thanks, B. Diddy! I don't have any AF issues with the camera, so I guess it must be the app. This being said, I am not sure if changing the camera setup itself might be recognised by the app in question; I did try to alter the picture resolution via camera app, but it had no effect on the banking app scan.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I'm not familiar with this issue, so this suggestion may be a long shot.

Have you tried putting your phone in silent mode? That normally prevents vibrations from any sort of notice, as well as audible alerts. Maybe this will also prevent the vibration from the app.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I use an app for secure banking that requires scanning of a dotted colour QR code to login, which is done via the app itself. I have noticed with my V20 (H990DS on Android 7) that when I focus on the QR code, the phone briefly vibrates and the QR pic I see on the screen becomes a little blurry - which then results in a failed login. I've rescanned countless times, and have also re-installed the app at least three times, all with the same result :-

Am trying to understand if this is a camera-, Android- or app issue (or any combination thereof!). I've tried different pic settings, as well as manual mode, with / without grid, different video resolutions - all to no avail, since the code scanning happens within the banking app itself and not via the camera app.

Note I use the same app on other Android devices (note: Android 6) as well as on iOS device, and I do NOT have this issue there.

Would be most grateful if somebody could point me in the right direction as to how to address this. Thanks!

Have you checked the apps permission for it? Go to the apps setting and enable all permissions to ensure it has access to everything. On my Wells Fargo app, I could see permission options for camera, phone, contacts, storage, location. Enable them all.

cirerebew

Mar 23, 2017
Visit site
Thanks, flyingkytez! All available permissions are granted, so unfortunately that's not it either. The issuing bank plays the 'it's not the app it's the phone'-game, so this will likely not get resolved anytime soon.

cirerebew

Mar 23, 2017
Visit site
The app has an average score of 2, which says it all. Many people complain about technical issues, the app's tech support line is 'engaged' throughout the day, and they don't answer emails, either. I've eventually decided to do a factory reset, and install this banking app as the first one. Lo and behold, now it works. I will have to re-install all other apps one after the other to find out which one may cause a conflict, if any. Clearly, a waste of time, but no other choice (unless using multiple phones!).

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelrie