Save big + get 3 months free! Sign up for ExpressVPN today

I made a 4 photo collage of my kids last night so I could print them all on one page at home. I later wanted to crop the extra page space off, and that's when the fight began.

Ok, so not an actual fight, but more like a basic WTF moment. When I selected the crop command in the OEM gallery app, it made me select a face. Excuse me? At first I thought I entered the wrong command, so I started over and made sure to select the crop. Same thing happened again!

Alright, apparently that app has face detection that forces you to select a face, when there are multiple people in the image, that it will then auto crop to. Never mind that you may actually want to do a large crop like I was or include multiple people. So instead of going right into crop mode with a large starting selection box as normal, I had to do this extra face selection step and then fumble to expand this now much smaller starting selection box.

If I want to crop close to a face, I'll do it. I don't want an app trying to out-guess me, because it'll usually guess wrong and make me do more work.

(Hey, I couldn't go my entire time with this phone without having at least one big venting. Lol)
    09-06-2017 06:37 PM
    Which model you have? I've never heard of that behavior.
    09-06-2017 07:06 PM
    Which model you have? I've never heard of that behavior.
    The Verizon version. When entering crop mode, I am presented with something like this and a short toast message telling you to select a face to begin.

I finally found a complaint on the V20-screenshot_2017-09-06-19-42-23.png
    09-06-2017 07:46 PM
    I have the same option, but I can anyway make a wider selection, i'm not limited to the face
    09-06-2017 10:30 PM
    I have the same option, but I can anyway make a wider selection, i'm not limited to the face
    Of course, I can as well. But this makes for an extra step, and starts with a smaller box, making for more work all around.
    frope01 likes this.
    09-06-2017 10:38 PM
    Of course, I can as well. But this makes for an extra step, and starts with a smaller box, making for more work all around.
    My gallery app edits with Google photos and doesn't act the same as yours
    Attached Thumbnails I finally found a complaint on the V20-12791.jpg  
    09-07-2017 07:40 AM
    I think I figured it out. I use the pencil to get into edit mode. If I use the crop command from the 3dot menu it behaved similar to yours
    Attached Thumbnails I finally found a complaint on the V20-12794.jpg  
    09-07-2017 07:44 AM
    I bring up the pencil by tapping on the image then tap the pencil top bring the edit choices
    Attached Thumbnails I finally found a complaint on the V20-12798.jpg  
    aximtreo likes this.
    09-07-2017 07:47 AM
    I use the pencil to get into edit mode.
    When editing this way, you're actually doing so in another app like Google Photos or Snapseed. I have other editors, but I do a lot of quick crops via the gallery if I don't need anything else.
    09-07-2017 07:57 AM
    When editing this way, you're actually doing so in another app like Google Photos or Snapseed. I have other editors, but I do a lot of quick crops via the gallery if I don't need anything else.
    Mine defaults that way and it doesn't take time to bring it up.
    09-07-2017 08:28 AM
    If I disable Photos it behaves the same way as yours. Alternatively I use crop from the pull down menu if I want to edit in Gallery with Photos enabled.
    09-07-2017 08:37 AM
    I use multiple apps to edit, depending on my needs. Sometimes I'll run the same photo through two or three different apps to fully edit it. XD
    09-07-2017 09:44 AM
    I made a 4 photo collage of my kids last night so I could print them all on one page at home. I later wanted to crop the extra page space off, and that's when the fight began.

Ok, so not an actual fight, but more like a basic WTF moment. When I selected the crop command in the OEM gallery app, it made me select a face. Excuse me? At first I thought I entered the wrong command, so I started over and made sure to select the crop. Same thing happened again!

Alright, apparently that app has face detection that forces you to select a face, when there are multiple people in the image, that it will then auto crop to. Never mind that you may actually want to do a large crop like I was or include multiple people. So instead of going right into crop mode with a large starting selection box as normal, I had to do this extra face selection step and then fumble to expand this now much smaller starting selection box.

If I want to crop close to a face, I'll do it. I don't want an app trying to out-guess me, because it'll usually guess wrong and make me do more work.

(Hey, I couldn't go my entire time with this phone without having at least one big venting. Lol)
    I haven't had that happen. I normally use Snapseed as my photo editor. The edit button from the gallery allows me to choose between editing apps.

Edit: just checked, I don't even have an integrated editor, it just shows a list of photo editing apps I have installed.
    09-07-2017 12:26 PM
    I haven't had that happen. I normally use Snapseed as my photo editor. The edit button from the gallery allows me to choose between editing apps.

Edit: just checked, I don't even have an integrated editor, it just shows a list of photo editing apps I have installed.
    You do if you select crop from the 3dot menu.... The pencil allows you to edit with external editors
    09-07-2017 12:32 PM
    You do if you select crop from the 3dot menu.... The pencil allows you to edit with external editors
    Ah! I see the problem, it does crop faces automatically. I've never noticed because I've always used Snapseed instead.

Maybe you can send a complaint letter to the engineers.
    09-07-2017 12:38 PM
    Yep the Verizon version does this
    09-10-2017 12:12 PM