LCD screen yellowing?

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I've been seeing Apple iPhones with yellowing LCD panels which looks gross and it's very common. Not too concerned with the V20 screen yellowing but do you think it's possible? Why do Apple's LCD screens age horribly? Cheap quality panels?

TheMarcus

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
This phone has screen retention issues. This is possible. Sides of my screen may show a yellowish tint depending on what decides to stick on the screen.

TwitchyPuppy

Trusted Member
Feb 18, 2015
Visit site
I've been seeing Apple iPhones with yellowing LCD panels which looks gross and it's very common. Not too concerned with the V20 screen yellowing but do you think it's possible? Why do Apple's LCD screens age horribly? Cheap quality panels?

Since you claim it’s very common, do you have a source?

I’ve never seen that before.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site

RewNYSDzU6DPdJjCfM7kqDy3nwdDvAhzzCCoikf-JdM.jpg

I see it from my own eyes looking at people's iPhone 5s and 6s. I should've stopped and asked people if I could take pictures of it though I would look stupid. iPhones are very common and you see it more so often. Just cause' you don't see it doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

Here's some examples:

https://www.reddit.com/r/iphone/comments/4mgmup/discoloration_on_iphone_6s_screen_is_this_covered/

https://www.reddit.com/r/iphone/comments/2tjeae/yellowing_of_the_screen_on_a_few_month_old_iphone/

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site

You can find several anecdotes on Mac/Apple forums and they claim it's a known defect. On others it's a green tint on the edged not yellow, others get a pink central area, and what's weird is that apparently it's visible but the phone owner doesn't notice it. Usually it's the husbands, brothers, friends who notice it, until you put it side by side with another iPhone. Defect occurrence range from within 6mo to 2yr, and as far as I can tell goes as far back as the iPhone 4. Guys at AppleCare were quoted to have said it's a common issue.

I guess it's worrying from an LG standpoint sincr LG provided like half the screens Apple uses.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site

You're obviously concerned otherwise why would you bring up something that does not exist on LG as far as we know?

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
You're obviously concerned otherwise why would you bring up something that does not exist on LG as far as we know?

If I own this phone for 5 years, I wonder if it will happen. But I know LG's screens don't go bad quickly like Apple's phones, but it's possible. Just curious because I recently have seen yellowing LCD screens.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
You can find several anecdotes on Mac/Apple forums and they claim it's a known defect. On others it's a green tint on the edged not yellow, others get a pink central area, and what's weird is that apparently it's visible but the phone owner doesn't notice it. Usually it's the husbands, brothers, friends who notice it, until you put it side by side with another iPhone. Defect occurrence range from within 6mo to 2yr, and as far as I can tell goes as far back as the iPhone 4. Guys at AppleCare were quoted to have said it's a common issue.

I guess it's worrying from an LG standpoint sincr LG provided like half the screens Apple uses.

Great explanation. I also wonder if LG screens were made the same. LG's doesn't look like the same retina display on the iPhone however.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
If I own this phone for 5 years, I wonder if it will happen. But I know LG's screens don't go bad quickly like Apple's phones, but it's possible. Just curious because I recently have seen yellowing LCD screens.
5 years from now you won't want to use it. Operating systems and apps will probably need more ram and faster processors. It will still work a music player

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
5 years from now you won't want to use it. Operating systems and apps will probably need more ram and faster processors. It will still work a music player

It's nearly as fast as my laptop. My laptop is going strong at 4 years. Recently upgraded to SSD, but hard drive was still working.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zif835