V20 Lagging? Try Another SD Card

TNCattleDog

Dec 21, 2013
Visit site
So I have been having intermittent lag issues for a while with my V20. Not constant and bad, but just enough to annoy me. I noticed the lag most frequently when viewing images in the stock gallery app and listening to music. The common denominator was the SD card, a Sandisk Ultra 64GB that I have had for several years....I think I got it when I had my G4.

I decided to try an experiment. I removed the SanDisk and backed up all the files on it and then copied them to a Samsung EVO 64GB card that I had in a tablet that I wasn't using. I formatted the replacement card and copied the files to it and put it in my V20. The difference is quite noticeable, NO LAG now. I'm going to continue to monitor how things work and since it's mostly full, I need to get another card. I'm looking at the Samsung EVO 128GB.

David

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
So I have been having intermittent lag issues for a while with my V20. Not constant and bad, but just enough to annoy me. I noticed the lag most frequently when viewing images in the stock gallery app and listening to music. The common denominator was the SD card, a Sandisk Ultra 64GB that I have had for several years....I think I got it when I had my G4.

I decided to try an experiment. I removed the SanDisk and backed up all the files on it and then copied them to a Samsung EVO 64GB card that I had in a tablet that I wasn't using. I formatted the replacement card and copied the files to it and put it in my V20. The difference is quite noticeable, NO LAG now. I'm going to continue to monitor how things work and since it's mostly full, I need to get another card. I'm looking at the Samsung EVO 128GB.

David

I don't trust Samsung EVO cards, I unmounted my card and took it out. My card fried and stopped working. Luckily it was still under 10 year warranty. Never had problems with SanDisk so I bought a 128GB card, lifetime warranty. Watch out for fake knock-offs that look like the real deal, might have been the problem there.

BTW your SanDisk card like all SanDisk cards have a lifetime warranty, you could send it in free of charge and they'll send you a new one. They should email you a shipping label.

Mike-Mike

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I normally immediately put a MicroSD card in, but my LG V20 is only a few weeks old and it seems quick as can be.

I also haven't use a MicroSD card yet.

I just happened to not get around to it, but now you got me thinking

kbagrows

Nov 5, 2017
Visit site
I don't trust Samsung EVO cards, I unmounted my card and took it out. My card fried and stopped working. Luckily it was still under 10 year warranty. Never had problems with SanDisk so I bought a 128GB card, lifetime warranty. Watch out for fake knock-offs that look like the real deal, might have been the problem there.

Funny how experiences can differ. I've had multiple SanDisk cards go bad, and cause issues in windows tablets and phones, while my newest 128GB Samsung card has been rock solid.

tickerguy

Nov 4, 2016
Visit site
I use a lot of different cards in different applications -- the Sandisk cards are ok in camera apps (if that's your typical use) but if you actually read and write a lot of smaller data to them... watch out. They appear to have little overprovisioning and when they run out of spare blocks they, like all other SD cards, brick.

I've had better luck with the Samsung EVOs in any application where writes may be a factor; it appears they have more overprovisioning blocks available to them.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ruchi Chandel