Screen burn in worse then ever

Delirious D

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Anyone else having really bad burn in with the phone. I know when it first came out we had questionable doubts about the type of screen lg decided to choose. And i didnt really have many issues last november. But not its gotten Really bad. I wrote an email that took maybe 5MIN and when i got to the homescreen i can see the sent arrow at the top and keyboard ghosting on the screen. Took me less then 2 minutes to type this message. And its also burned i to the screen. :l

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
Anyone else having really bad burn in with the phone. I know when it first came out we had questionable doubts about the type of screen lg decided to choose. And i didnt really have many issues last november. But not its gotten Really bad. I wrote an email that took maybe 5MIN and when i got to the homescreen i can see the sent arrow at the top and keyboard ghosting on the screen. Took me less then 2 minutes to type this message. And its also burned i to the screen. :l
Wow that doesnt sound good. How lpng have you had the V20?

krazyatom

Trusted Member
Jan 4, 2015
Visit site
How do you set your brightness? I usually set to 40% brightness and mine was purchased last week. I wonder what causes screen burning.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
V20 uses LCD not OLED. Which means you are seeing screen retention and not burn in because it's physically impossible for LCD screens to burn in. Burn in refers to CRT monitors where the phosphor coating actually got burned off, or on OLED screens like Samsungs and v30 where each pixel is a small light bulb and like normal ones they burn out after time. LCDs are just crystals which change shapes to refract the light from behind the screen causing changes in color. Sometimes these crystals get stuck causing screen retention or ghosting. Continued use of the affected pixels forcing them to go conformational change will fix this. Just play a video for extended periods and a few days later the screen retention reduces and eventually disappears.

The fact that you boxed the phone for months may have a bearing on the screen getting stuck often. But that just points to construction quality.

RaRa85

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
Unfortunately I've had the same issues recently. Mainly with the home touch and the notifications. I notice sometimes. The only thing I can say in my case is that it doesn't stick around long enough to be overly annoying but it is there.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site

There's no such thing as screen burn in on IPS LCD panels, just screen retention. Just use this video and set your brightness to HIGH and leave it on full screen for 15 minutes, the colors need to be refreshed:

https://youtu.be/WldpB00znWU

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
How do you set your brightness? I usually set to 40% brightness and mine was purchased last week. I wonder what causes screen burning.

Combination of high brightness setting and being on one static screen for too long will make the color pixel "stuck" at that same one. Certain colors will cause retention more than others, usually blue and purple from my experience. Good thing it's temporary and not permanent. Use the pixel fixer to cycle through the colors and refresh it (see above). My Samsung laptop gets screen retention occasionally on purple backgrounds and images, my V20 rarely gets it but I do see it sometimes. Best way to avoid is use lower brightness.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I only had retention once in the notification bar. It went away and I forgot all about it. Much better than Oled burn in that permanently ruins the screen

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I only had retention once in the notification bar. It went away and I forgot all about it. Much better than Oled burn in that permanently ruins the screen

Overtime, the keyboard will burn in especially with light color themed keys. They did make it harder to burn in nowadays but it'll happen eventually. Plus OLED displays don't age very well, it loses its brightness overtime and colors look dull. Just saw a Galaxy S6 again recently 2 years later and it looked dim.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
How does brightness affect anything? The pixels and back lighting are two separate pieces of hardware.

Not really sure, it's what I noticed from my experience. My Samsung laptop gets image retention whenever I use max brightness. Here's a very interesting test someone did about image retention and burn in. The person concluded that high brightness and contrast will greatly increase the chance of image retention.

Image Retention on TVs: Burn-in

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
w8wca