Pixel 2 camera app with HDR+ on V20 looks great!

TNCattleDog

Dec 21, 2013
Visit site
Ahhh! Perfect. I think my original download may have been a bad one. I re-downloaded it from the link above (Thank you RaRa85 !) and all seems to be working fine. Also, thanks RaRa for pointing out the tips in the article. I followed them and portrait mode shows up and no crashes.

David

RaRa85

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
Ahhh! Perfect. I think my original download may have been a bad one. I re-downloaded it from the link above (Thank you RaRa85 !) and all seems to be working fine. Also, thanks RaRa for pointing out the tips in the article. I followed them and portrait mode shows up and no crashes.

David
Oh OK well great then. You're welcome. It's pretty cool though that a single apk can transform what we already have that much.

tickerguy

Nov 4, 2016
Visit site
You do realize, I hope, that someone who actually knows how a camera's bokeah happens will know INSTANTLY that such a photo is digitally doctored, and that it REALLY stands out at people like us.

Those shots look very unnatural to me, almost cartoonish -- but then again I've been shooting photographs with professional-level cameras for more than 30 years, and I've seen so many images with bokeah that are generated normally that my brain's instant reaction to seeing one of these is "PHOTOSHOPPED!"

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
You do realize, I hope, that someone who actually knows how a camera's bokeah happens will know INSTANTLY that such a photo is digitally doctored, and that it REALLY stands out at people like us.

Those shots look very unnatural to me, almost cartoonish -- but then again I've been shooting photographs with professional-level cameras for more than 30 years, and I've seen so many images with bokeah that are generated normally that my brain's instant reaction to seeing one of these is "PHOTOSHOPPED!"

Well of course it is messed with (like photoshop) since it is adding it in after taking the picture. It isn't meant to be pro level but it also doesn't have it like some phones (iPhone) that have dedicated lenses for it.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
No lie. I've lamented the cheat code that is software and computational photography but it is what it is. And it's good. I'm embracing it.

It's the brains at silicon valley. Good software from Google. I admit the post processing makes the picture looks more fake but it looks nice.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Trusting souls. I wouldn't suggest downloading apps from anywhere but the Playstore

Don't matter. My identity already had been stolen before. I'd be more worried about your info over the cloud. T-Mobile was hacked and everyone got their info stolen. Can't do much about it.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site

Looks really good to me. Don't need to spend 5k on camera equipment. I have a semi-pro camera too but sometimes a smartphone camera is better because it's running a powerful Android OS with better algorithms in the camera app.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I just followed the direction from the site but I also did make a few changes of my own. I'll update soon with the screen shots.

Would there be any way to have both apps? I am only able to install and use one at a time. I still like the old one because of the post processing.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Don't matter. My identity already had been stolen before. I'd be more worried about your info over the cloud. T-Mobile was hacked and everyone got their info stolen. Can't do much about it.
You are right. There are many threats to our privacy. I also worry about performance of the phone itself over time. The more positive reports I read the less concerned I am.. Still although I once rooted phones and flashed roms written by God knows who for some means of monetization I am not aware of I am more careful these days.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site

Okay I fully tested it. Picture quality is actually worse when using it normally, especially low light, photos are very grainy VS stock camera app. HOWEVER portrait mode photos look STUNNING! It looks like a professional DSLR like the picture you took. However, the other app has a better overall brighter and better photo quality with auto mode and the photo processing is done in the background so I'll be switching back to it.

BTW flash doesn't work properly on either apps, the photo ends up looking super blue.

Last edited:

RaRa85

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
Okay I fully tested it. Picture quality is actually worse when using it normally, especially low light, photos are very grainy VS stock camera app. HOWEVER portrait mode photos look STUNNING! It looks like a professional DSLR like the picture you took. However, the other app has a better overall brighter and better photo quality with auto mode and the photo processing is done in the background so I'll be switching back to it.

BTW flash doesn't work properly on either apps, the photo ends up looking super blue.
Yeah it does have a few quirks but I'm still getting pretty good processing on my end so I'm good. I think they'll just continue to update it over time. When I went to download the apk it just updated the one I already had I thought anyways.

RaRa85

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site

Hey I get that argument. I was on the Pixel 2 forums making a statement about how much the software is doing the work and not the hardware and I think people took it the wrong way. Computational photography takes a lot of the work and know-how out of the equation and it can be frustrating for even enthusiasts like myself to see such results at the push if a button. Portrait mode is no different. But it does what it's supposed to do and pretty well at that. It isolates the subject and I have come to accept these little gimmicks as pretty well implemented in smartphone photography. But it's the way things are going and for smartphones at least, I think it's a fair strategy to make up what limitations our smartphones have with clever software. Here's a shot I took with my Sony a6000 and off camera flash. I used high speed sync to eliminate the background without having to Photoshop or anything like that.
154b39cd937ee95280973fd0ced72c92.jpg

Last edited:

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Hey I get that argument. I was on the Pixel 2 forums making a statement about how much the software is doing the work and not the hardware and I think people took it the wrong way. Computational photography takes a lot of the work and know-how out of the equation and it can be frustrating for even enthusiasts like myself to see such results at the push if a button. Portrait mode is no different. But it does what it's supposed to do and pretty well at that. It isolates the subject and I have come to accept these little gimmicks as pretty well implemented in smartphone photography. But it's the way things are going and for smartphones at least, I think it's a fair strategy to make up what limitations our smartphones have with clever software. Here's a shot I took with my Sony a6000 and off camera flash. I used high speed sync to eliminate the background without having to Photoshop or anything like that. //uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180116/154b39cd937ee95280973fd0ced72c92.jpg

I have that same camera to with a Sigma lens. The benefit of smartphone cameras is that it's running a smarter operating system with better camera algorithms so that it can auto adjust better. For basic everyday use, a smartphone camera is more ideal because you can whip it out faster. DSLR is great for taking serious photography but it takes more skill to use than a smartphone with auto enhancing effects.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
My DSLR is WAY faster than my V20 on full auto. I don't mean to imply it is a fair comparison. Is there any legitimate app on the app store that speeds up full auto snapshots on the V20? Animals don't pose for pics and I've lost so many shots since my V20 takes so ling to complete a shot.

OLD_HATCH

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
I've been comparing the Google camera with hdr+ to the stock LG camera for a couple of weeks now.

At full auto the Google camera has better pictures about 85% of the time.

Pictures have less grain from too high an ISO, sharper more colorful images, and just more pleasing to the eye.

The other 15% of the time it's on par with the stock camera.

This Google camera with HDR+ has become my daily driver for full auto pictures. When I'm trying to do something else, full manual on the stock camera app it is.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12