After a year in, which extended batteries are worth considering?

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I'm thinking it's about time to upgrade my battery to an extended one due to some changes in my usage habits. I know when the V20 first came out, there were a few commonly talked about brands. Now there are several others I'm seeing on Amazon.

So my question is, which brands are still recommended, including the possible new comers? I'm looking for about double the stock capacity (the monster 10,000mAh ones are tempting, but I think a little overkill for my needs) and preferably with a case.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I'm thinking it's about time to upgrade my battery to an extended one due to some changes in my usage habits. I know when the V20 first came out, there were a few commonly talked about brands. Now there are several others I'm seeing on Amazon.

So my question is, which brands are still recommended, including the possible new comers? I'm looking for about double the stock capacity (the monster 10,000mAh ones are tempting, but I think a little overkill for my needs) and preferably with a case.

How do you use your phone? I'm using stock batteries and I can still last all the way to 30% by bedtime. I don't recall ever needing to charge or swap unless I have the brightness to 100% and doing something CPU intensive.

I can't really imagine using an extended battery, it'd take away the ultra slim design of the phone. I don't mind carrying a spare battery since it's very slim. Plus I have a quick charge 3.0 charger in the car and that thing charges super fast! The V30 has QC 3.0 but you need the correct charger for it.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
How do you use your phone?
I'm starting to work more in a warehouse loading/unloading trucks, and they often come in back to back, giving me almost no time to get to a charger. I stream Pandora and the like to my Bluetooth headset while working, plus some gaming/browsing during the times I do catch a break. So getting 12+ hours on a charge with near constant use/streaming would be great.

I can't really imagine using an extended battery, it'd take away the ultra slim design of the phone.
I personally think phones are too slim and often use slightly bulky cases to make them easier to hold. So I'd welcome the thicker body that comes with an extended battery. I also have a QC 2.0 charger, but LG is strict with their charge throttling. If the phone is warm from use, it will cut the charge rates back, so that 5-10 minute break doesn't really get me much extra juice. Same thing happens with the OEM charger, my QC3.0 charger at home, and also on the G4 I had before.

Normally I'm a driver and can plug in whenever I need, but there's been some changes at work and it keeps me away from my charger more. And due to the design of the warehouse, plugging in my phone to charge while I run the forklift isn't an option if I want to keep streaming. My Bluetooth signal doesn't reach far enough.

Plus having an extended battery is good for helping keep temps lower and reduces the amount of USB port use.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I'm starting to work more in a warehouse loading/unloading trucks, and they often come in back to back, giving me almost no time to get to a charger. I stream Pandora and the like to my Bluetooth headset while working, plus some gaming/browsing during the times I do catch a break. So getting 12+ hours on a charge with near constant use/streaming would be great.

I personally think phones are too slim and often use slightly bulky cases to make them easier to hold. So I'd welcome the thicker body that comes with an extended battery. I also have a QC 2.0 charger, but LG is strict with their charge throttling. If the phone is warm from use, it will cut the charge rates back, so that 5-10 minute break doesn't really get me much extra juice. Same thing happens with the OEM charger, my QC3.0 charger at home, and also on the G4 I had before.

Normally I'm a driver and can plug in whenever I need, but there's been some changes at work and it keeps me away from my charger more. And due to the design of the warehouse, plugging in my phone to charge while I run the forklift isn't an option if I want to keep streaming. My Bluetooth signal doesn't reach far enough.

Plus having an extended battery is good for helping keep temps lower and reduces the amount of USB port use.

In your case, I think an extended battery is useful. I've heard a lot about zero lemon, it has good reviews on Amazon. Comes with a case too!

Edit: After upon checking the photos, there is NO back cover! Just a TPU case that covers everything up! I guess they couldn't figure out how to attach a back cover with the battery. Something you probably want to consider. I'd just carry spare batteries in your pocket.

krazyatom

Trusted Member
Jan 4, 2015
Visit site
I am currently using hyperion extended battery and it does add some weight and bulky but it isn't too bad. I didn't like the idea of swapping battery so I went for hyperion 6600mah battery. It's less bulky compares to zero lemon.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I am currently using hyperion extended battery and it does add some weight and bulky but it isn't too bad. I didn't like the idea of swapping battery so I went for hyperion 6600mah battery. It's less bulky compares to zero lemon.

Is there a back cover too or is there just a case that wraps around it all?

pilotharrison

Dec 4, 2017
Visit site
I've had my V20 for 13 months and battery life is abysmal, currently I'm looking at 2300 mAh estimate from Accubattery, and I'm getting quite short battery life, usually around 5h total (including idle) with 2h SOT.

I was going to buy a second battery, but I don't really trust a lot of Amazon products and the OEM LG one is pricey, like $75 in Canada. Settled for the Anker 20000mAh QC3.0 power bank, a bit bulky but something I can trust, but it was cheaper.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I also heard that when the battery is zero it wont charge (the aftermarket ones).is it true
Depends on the definition of "zero." 0% on the battery gauge isn't true zero, as there is still some voltage in the battery. It's just not enough voltage to power the phone. A lot of times, you may have to plug it in for a bit before the phone registers that it's charging, so that may confuse some people.

There is a point with Li-ion batteries where if they go below a certain voltage, they will no longer safely accept a charge and thus more or less are done for. Normally this isn't an issue because the phone shuts down above this danger point.

If you drain it to zero on the gauge and leave it, not only does it cause damage that can reduce capacity, but it can self discharge (normal for any battery) below that lower threshold to the point it won't accept a charge again. This would be true for any battery, OEM or third party.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I also heard that when the battery is zero it wont charge (the aftermarket ones).is it true

It's somewhat true. I had the original $1000 Pixel Chromebook and when the battery discharged to 0%, the laptop refused to recognize the charger and it was useless. So it depends on the hardware. With phones, it's okay if it reaches 0%, the phone will know. However, it's not good for the battery's health to completely discharge. Recommended to keep the battery between 20% - 80%.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I've had my V20 for 13 months and battery life is abysmal, currently I'm looking at 2300 mAh estimate from Accubattery, and I'm getting quite short battery life, usually around 5h total (including idle) with 2h SOT.

I was going to buy a second battery, but I don't really trust a lot of Amazon products and the OEM LG one is pricey, like $75 in Canada. Settled for the Anker 20000mAh QC3.0 power bank, a bit bulky but something I can trust, but it was cheaper.

This is 100% legit. This is the real battery, authentic LG brand. You're going to want the external charging cradle too, it'll make your life easier. The battery case comes in handy.

LG Battery Charging kit BCK-5200 for LG V20 (Battery + Battery Charger + Battery Case) International Version, No Warranty

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M5C23S...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU6095104

They have overstock and liquidated batteries on eBay but some of them are real and some of them are fake. But if they are fake, you get a refund from the seller because of eBay guarantee. All of my batteries are real, the fake battery fits very snug and the printing looks different than the original.

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
This is 100% legit. This is the real battery, authentic LG brand. You're going to want the external charging cradle too, it'll make your life easier. The battery case comes in handy.

LG Battery Charging kit BCK-5200 for LG V20 (Battery + Battery Charger + Battery Case) International Version, No Warranty

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M5C23S...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU6095109

They have overstock and liquidated batteries on eBay but some of them are real and some of them are fake. But if they are fake, you get a refund from the seller because of eBay guarantee. All of my batteries are real, the fake battery fits very snug and the printing looks different than the original.
I've purchased that battery kit, and I can verify it's legit.

xplod566

Oct 11, 2017
Visit site
It's somewhat true. I had the original $1000 Pixel Chromebook and when the battery discharged to 0%, the laptop refused to recognize the charger and it was useless. So it depends on the hardware. With phones, it's okay if it reaches 0%, the phone will know. However, it's not good for the battery's health to completely discharge. Recommended to keep the battery between 20% - 80%.
Absolutely.thats the one i was talking about.i heard couple of leople had issues where if tje battery goes to zero then it wont charge via phone.u need an external charger and then the after market charges it.otherwise it will show invalid charging etc....

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site

I like the mid-range 6300 to 6700. I have a 10000 also which is good in remote areas for all day usuage but it's bulky.

PAC757

Trusted Member
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M5C23S...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU6098728

I bought this BCK-5200 spare battery kit from Amazon, it works fine and definitely looks like an OEM LG product but the battery that came with it doesn't last as long as the battery that came with the phone. Original battery is dated 2016-12, the battery in the kit was dated 2017-2. So even though it's a newer battery it seems to last about 8 hours less then the original. I think I'm just going to give in and buy a $40 battery from LG's website. There must be some kind of warranty on the battery buying direct from LG. I probably should have sent the kit back from Amazon because the short battery life has been that way since I got the kit, but its been to long now to return it.

tickerguy

Nov 4, 2016
Visit site
I also have a QC 2.0 charger, but LG is strict with their charge throttling. If the phone is warm from use, it will cut the charge rates back, so that 5-10 minute break doesn't really get me much extra juice. Same thing happens with the OEM charger, my QC3.0 charger at home, and also on the G4 I had before.
Be glad they do. It also appears LG tends to cut off the charge at 95% even though they "show" 100%.

Manufacturers that don't do both will drive the battery beyond the "proper" maximum charge voltage. This is very bad for battery life (in extreme cases it can lead to fires too, but usually it just trashes the battery life) and is one reason that a lot of phones wind up with dead batteries after a year or so.

It's especially bad if you leave the phone on charge all night.... what LG is doing is in fact the "right thing" from a standpoint of improving service life. Even better is if you unplug at about 85%; that will do even more for time-before-death.