How's your V20 stock battery holding up?

tickerguy

Nov 4, 2016
Visit site
What Apple did is an egregiously evil thing, and consumer fraud on top of it.

To detect a known bad hardware condition and fail to alert the owner is beyond the pale. To attempt to "mitigate" it without warning where there is a purely financial motive in doing so by avoiding warranty service is even worse. That's a violation of the law in the US at least ("unfair and deceptive practices") both at a state and federal level, but large companies no longer get prosecuted for literally anything they do -- which is probably why Apple thought they could get away with it.

Remember that Apple has been accused of this for quite some time -- and repeatedly lied, saying they were doing no such thing. It was only when someone went to the trouble to actually prove they were doing it that they came clean. If that's not proof of intent I don't know what would satisfy someone in that regard.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
What Apple did is an egregiously evil thing, and consumer fraud on top of it.

To detect a known bad hardware condition and fail to alert the owner is beyond the pale. To attempt to "mitigate" it without warning where there is a purely financial motive in doing so by avoiding warranty service is even worse. That's a violation of the law in the US at least ("unfair and deceptive practices") both at a state and federal level, but large companies no longer get prosecuted for literally anything they do -- which is probably why Apple thought they could get away with it.

Remember that Apple has been accused of this for quite some time -- and repeatedly lied, saying they were doing no such thing. It was only when someone went to the trouble to actually prove they were doing it that they came clean. If that's not proof of intent I don't know what would satisfy someone in that regard.

I too agree that it is a cruel and very immoral and very illegal breach - especially of consumer trust. You pay so much for a device these days - especially an iPhone, even of older iterations - and for Apple to purposely allow your device to perform less efficiently is just malicious.

tickerguy

Nov 4, 2016
Visit site
Oh I don't know if I buy the "force you to buy a new phone" argument, but it's not necessary to make the fraud point stick.

You only need any financial motive for no-notice slowdowns, and the warranty angle is likely the true motivation (with a side helping of "forced upgrades") since warranty returns are a serious cost center for any company. Reducing them by hiding defects you know about is a clearly malicious act and doing so for financial purposes crosses the fraud line.

The root of the issue comes down to the collision between how batteries are treated in their charging regimes, the size of the installed cell (thus the likelihood the customer will charge more than once in a day, effectively exposing the cell to TWO cycles daily instead of one) and how these two things collide with what you SELL the consumer in terms of expectations (e.g. "thin and light", "charges fast", etc.) What you sell the customer is always your choice; the 'base demand' from the customer side is always "free, infinite battery life and charges in 5 seconds" in this regard, none of which you can actually do of course. There is always a balance between what the customer would like and what can be reasonably delivered but when you discover you blew it and the result is that you're eating warranty claims due to going too far down the "thin and light" and "charges fast" road, and try to evade the financial hit on the warranty side by hiding it, well.....

mthorn82

Jun 13, 2018
Visit site
I bought my LG V20 about a year ago from T-Mobile first time turned it on was very hot seemed strange and I even recall telling my gf at the time this isn't going to be good for long term use. So fast forward a year later this was my issue and how I fixed it so far.

Battery started reading hot around 105-115 degrees F either when plugged in charging on a fast charger or when using apps. I would notice battery charge state going nuts on min it would show 50% charged when plugged in then 20%.

Soon after the phone started acting up making this crackling sound from the speaker, running very slow and I would loose all sound be it external and internal speaker. Apps would run sluggish and a reboot would not work. When rebooting the phone it would take 5 min to start back up, the T-Mobile boot screen sound was not there, and the phone would show the wrong date and time to begin. Strange YOUTUBE would not load videos! It would give me an error. Hard reset and complete wipe nothing phone still acted up. Sometimes letting the phone sit 10-15 min with a battery swap would help but not always.

Finally I gave in placed the phone one night in the freezer with it powered off when it was acting up about 5 min later I took it out rebooted the phone and instantly it started right up like nothing was wrong so I knew I had a heat issue as it seemed the cold air got it working again.

So for now the fix seems to be thermal paste on the internal CPU you can get it on amazon and you have to remove the circuit board apply it and then put the phone back together. A new aftermarket battery was next I ordered one on Amazon placed it in the phone charged it up some then ran some tests this is the result.

New battery and thermal paste on CPU clocking AVG 86-87 degrees max on the battery down from 105-115 on the factory LG battery. CPU is reading 85-95 on standby clocking around 107 degrees max on apps running on games. So far no lag, no locking up, no funny cracking speaker sounds it's running solid. A little slow while charging apparently this is a design from LG to slow the CPU down. Give it a shot spent around $35 total for the battery and thermal paste.

Cheers.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I'm on my 4th battery but I abuse the hell out of them. Constantly charging to 100% to get max screen on time.

Mine sometimes runs hot even when doing nothing but biggest users are Android sys etc so can't tell ehat app is really reaponsible.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Crazy good standby time on the V20?

Anyone else getting really amazing standby time? I have my phone on, but wifi/data off when not in use. The standby time is great! Probably can last several days without a charge. I'll probably lose 1-2% overnight (maybe 0 sometimes). The battery is pretty good with a phone still using Snapdragon 820 and only a 3200mAh battery.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
The problem with even legit "OEM" batteries is that many sold on the secondary market are pulls or (almost as bad) horribly-old stock.

Lithium chemistry batteries degrade with *time* irrespective of use. They also degrade with each cycle. Between the two a "pull" is likely to be either worthless or become so within a few months.

Unfortunately you don't know what you're getting with aftermarket ones either. Some of THOSE are pulls with a different label slapped on them! If they're actual fresh cells then they are usually ok, provided the temperature sensor in them is hooked up and is the correct thermistor so the phone's temp sense circuity works right. But you never know with all the chineesium junk on Spamazon and FleaBay.

The same situation exists in the digital camera world; the LP-E6 Canon batteries are often relabeled pulls and are flat-out garbage. Wasabi makes packs on their own and they've all been good in my experience. They still wear out, but you get a couple of years out of them. Unfortunately Canon got wise to it and in the newer cameras changed the chip they use and started going after third-party manufacturers, so with their newer cameras you can't get third party batteries that will read charge state any more.

It would be nice if all the fraudsters were policied off FleaBay and Spamazon -- people selling pulls without labeling them as USED are committing fraud, but nobody would buy a USED battery for obvious reasons (why is it "used" and for sale unless it's half-dead or worse!) ;-)

I got a few used V20 batteries (one of them a little more worn). It still works fine.. the older and more used battery is weaker. Cool thing is if they advertise it as authentic or brand new and you find out it isn't, they'll refund you and you can keep the battery because it's not worth it for them to pay to ship it back.

Funny thing is a used, authentic LG battery is STILL better than a Chinese knock-off or generic battery.. those batteries are not made according to standards, sometimes even lying about the actual capacity.. could be even dangerous to use.. if you're going to buy a 3rd party battery, make sure the company is reputable. Don't be afraid to buy on Amazon or eBay, honestly sometimes the seller (US based) does not know if the battery is real or not, they just buy them, and they'll give you a refund if you are not happy.

The authentic batteries actually lasts pretty long.. as long as you take care of it (don't let it reach high temps, never let it drop below 15%, take it off the charger when full, give it a break once in a while).

About Canon and manufacturers not allowing 3rd party... there's something called planned obsolescence. Everyone can AGREE that computer printers have some type of planned obsolescence.. in fact they have been through some lawsuits because of it. They do not allow 3rd party ink nor allow you to refill the ink (you used to be able to refill inks at Walgreen's). There's a chip built into HP and Samsung printers that monitors the number of print jobs before activating self destruction (someone found this, look it up yourself). Certain devices are more prone to planned obsolescence, and certain manufactures (usually big names like HP, Apple, etc.). Apple's "battery/slowdown gate" was clear proof of this... Apple is notorious for NOT allowing 3rd party repairs.. especially their computers, causing them to slow or fail after some time... The sooner we can call out these manufactures, the better. Zack from JerryRigEverything is doing a GREAT job letting people know how durable flagship phones are, exposing the ones that have design flaws (Pixel 2 phone failed the bend test). So far, LG has seemed like an honest company, even owning up to their mistakes (replaced or repaired the G4 and V10 for bootloop, gave 2 year warranty on the G6 & V30, not a single bootloop reported since). Smartphone sales are slowing down and manufacturers are freaking out, they will make sure people will buy their phones one way or another.. even if it means designing the phone to last just so long. Say to #plannedobsolesance and let's not deny the fact.

Last edited:

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I'm on my 4th battery but I abuse the hell out of them. Constantly charging to 100% to get max screen on time.

Mine sometimes runs hot even when doing nothing but biggest users are Android sys etc so can't tell ehat app is really reaponsible.

I'm cycling through 5 batteries evenly, which means I get 5x the longevity. That equals to between 8-10 years of battery usage (maybe longer). I use my phone heavily too at certain times. I recommend using LG's external charging cradle, it charges slower and you can just put it in there and walk away.. when you come back it should be ready to go.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I bought my LG V20 about a year ago from T-Mobile first time turned it on was very hot seemed strange and I even recall telling my gf at the time this isn't going to be good for long term use. So fast forward a year later this was my issue and how I fixed it so far.

Battery started reading hot around 105-115 degrees F either when plugged in charging on a fast charger or when using apps. I would notice battery charge state going nuts on min it would show 50% charged when plugged in then 20%.

Soon after the phone started acting up making this crackling sound from the speaker, running very slow and I would loose all sound be it external and internal speaker. Apps would run sluggish and a reboot would not work. When rebooting the phone it would take 5 min to start back up, the T-Mobile boot screen sound was not there, and the phone would show the wrong date and time to begin. Strange YOUTUBE would not load videos! It would give me an error. Hard reset and complete wipe nothing phone still acted up. Sometimes letting the phone sit 10-15 min with a battery swap would help but not always.

Finally I gave in placed the phone one night in the freezer with it powered off when it was acting up about 5 min later I took it out rebooted the phone and instantly it started right up like nothing was wrong so I knew I had a heat issue as it seemed the cold air got it working again.

So for now the fix seems to be thermal paste on the internal CPU you can get it on amazon and you have to remove the circuit board apply it and then put the phone back together. A new aftermarket battery was next I ordered one on Amazon placed it in the phone charged it up some then ran some tests this is the result.

New battery and thermal paste on CPU clocking AVG 86-87 degrees max on the battery down from 105-115 on the factory LG battery. CPU is reading 85-95 on standby clocking around 107 degrees max on apps running on games. So far no lag, no locking up, no funny cracking speaker sounds it's running solid. A little slow while charging apparently this is a design from LG to slow the CPU down. Give it a shot spent around $35 total for the battery and thermal paste.

Cheers.

Very strange, I never encountered any slow downs. When you first set up the phone, it'll be HOT because the phone is updating apps via WiFi. Do NOT place your phone in the freezer, especially the battery. It will damage the phone and battery, moisture from the freezer may get into the phone, and most likely the glass will shatter from the freezer (ever forgot a beer in the freezer? Yeah, it CRACKS).

I heard about thermal paste on Reddit, seemed to have helped certain people. Normally, you don't need or use a lot of themal paste (otherwise it'll have the opposite effect). Thermal paste only needs to be applied once, it should last through the duration of the life of the device. The thermal paste might just be a placebo effect, there's no proof it helps. It really just depends on what you're doing on the phone... downloading apps will heat up the phone... using your phone while charging is also a bad idea.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I'm cycling through 5 batteries evenly, which means I get 5x the longevity. That equals to between 8-10 years of battery usage (maybe longer). I use my phone heavily too at certain times. I recommend using LG's external charging cradle, it charges slower and you can just put it in there and walk away.. when you come back it should be ready to go.
I don't intend to spend any more money on the V20. Eventually it will just be a universal ir blaster remote and I will want a new phone. Nothing has impressed me yet but a Note with a 4000mAh battery might do the trick.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I don't intend to spend any more money on the V20. Eventually it will just be a universal ir blaster remote and I will want a new phone. Nothing has impressed me yet but a Note with a 4000mAh battery might do the trick.

Are you talking about the Note 8 + a thick battery case? Or Note 4 mod? Good luck with the Note 4, those have a limited lifespan (MMC chip error). Note 8 has a weird shape: curved screen, freakishly long, very bad fingerprint scanner placement.. plus battery cases are hideous and gigantic. (Oh and don't forget screen burn in). Note 4s are cheap now, you can find them for $100 bucks.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Are you talking about the Note 8 + a thick battery case? Or Note 4 mod? Good luck with the Note 4, those have a limited lifespan (MMC chip error). Note 8 has a weird shape: curved screen, freakishly long, very bad fingerprint scanner placement.. plus battery cases are hideous and gigantic.
Note 9 IF it has a bigger battery than the s8plus

Tran Trung Le

Apr 16, 2016
Visit site
How's your stock battery doing? I'm rotating 5 batteries so my battery experience has been awesome. Average 4-5.5 hours SOT, which is pretty good to me, back in the day I'd get 2-3 SOT or less from other phones.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bc-HKv2Hhy4/

Apple is apparently slowing down phones on purpose, especially with phones that have aged batteries. A friend of mines has an iPhone that isn't all that old and complained about the update that slowed down the phone. Let's hope LG never does that to their customers!
I had a pair of batteries for a year and SOT fell from 4.5 to 3.0-3.5.
I just replaced a new pair and it went up to 4.5 again.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I find the new ones don't last as long. Maybe 6 months.

Some "new" LG batteries might be fake.. they look real however. Also, some aftermarket batteries aren't built to the same standards. Honestly, I haven't seen any changes in battery life on my V20 yet, pretty consistent so far, average 4 - 4.5 hours screen on time (sometimes more).

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Some "new" LG batteries might be fake.. they look real however. Also, some aftermarket batteries aren't built to the same standards. Honestly, I haven't seen any changes in battery life on my V20 yet, pretty consistent so far, average 4 - 4.5 hours screen on time (sometimes more).
The one I bought direct from LG was expensive but still losing. life after 6 mos