AfterMarket big batteries, like 6,800mAh. Do you use them ?

BrokerDadFL

Dec 12, 2017
Visit site
These big batteries can last a couple of days, actually great for a long trip.

But the high capacity, like 6,800mAh and bigger, makes the battery thick. So you have to use their plastic back cover.

Everything together makes it heavier, the choice you make for longer times.

Do you use these ?

The reason I ask, is because in the original backcover (metal) there's electrical contact points (other than the NFC antenna) to the board. I presume those are ground-plane contacts, which should make the phone more radio-freq quiet, thus better performance. But the aftermarket cover is plastic.

So do you encounter problems, of some sort ?

I used them in my first V20, then in a few days, it no longer receive signal. So on my second one, I'm reluctant to use extended batteries that requires plastic covers.

tickerguy

Nov 4, 2016
Visit site
The "pins" are for the NFC antenna, without which NFC won't function. If you use things like Android Pay this gets rather important.... :)

My issue with the "bigger batteries" is that none of the ones in the 6,000mah hour class (which is an extremely useful class, by the way) have a replacement back cover construction that is both of reasonable quality and durability to double as a case (look at what Incipio has with the DualPro for what I'd like to see.) I'd pay a rational price for that rather than a 99 cent piece of slippery plastic for a back cover, which at the same time makes using any of the standard cases impossible, but NOBODY in the third-party battery market has teamed up with someone like Incipio to make such a combination, nor have they done so themselves.

Pity....

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
These big batteries can last a couple of days, actually great for a long trip.

But the high capacity, like 6,800mAh and bigger, makes the battery thick. So you have to use their plastic back cover.

Everything together makes it heavier, the choice you make for longer times.

Do you use these ?

The reason I ask, is because in the original backcover (metal) there's electrical contact points (other than the NFC antenna) to the board. I presume those are ground-plane contacts, which should make the phone more radio-freq quiet, thus better performance. But the aftermarket cover is plastic.

So do you encounter problems, of some sort ?

I used them in my first V20, then in a few days, it no longer receive signal. So on my second one, I'm reluctant to use extended batteries that requires plastic covers.

No because they're not necessary, the battery is already decent, plus you get QC 3.0 . I just use spare batteries and swap them.

BrokerDadFL

Dec 12, 2017
Visit site
The "pins" are for the NFC antenna, without which NFC won't function. If you use things like Android Pay this gets rather important.... :)

Only Two of the contacts are for NFC, near the top.

Look around the perimeter of the phone, you'll see others, with the corresponding touch pads on the metal case.

BrokerDadFL

Dec 12, 2017
Visit site
No because they're not necessary, the battery is already decent, plus you get QC 3.0 . I just use spare batteries and swap them.

My first V20 went dead in 5 days (got money back). It stopped showing signal strength. No signal. Didn't matter much what I do to reboot. Thinking back, I was wondering if it was a defect, like some had complained in a thread here, or because I used the plastics back case.

I used to be an RF engineer. I thought there's a chance that RF signal got reflected back for having no ground plane, thus ruined the output RF amp.

My second V20 worked well. It had a splash: I temporarily put it on the roof of my vehicle because I carried several things to the car, and drove with it on top. The soft plastic case held it down well until I hit about 40mph or so, then I heard thunk thunk. Ouch.
Amazingly, only the back got scratched, spotless on the front, battery, metal case spun off with the soft plastic. Metal back case got bent enough to not latch back in. Thus the reason I thought about using extended battery case. The soft plastic did a great job cushioning the crash on the road.

Fwafwow

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
Any other thoughts on the bigger batteries? And what's the best source for regular replacement batteries? (Just pulled the trigger on the V20 and am awaiting delivery tomorrow.....)

Ntchwaidumela

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site

My issue with the "bigger batteries" is that none of the ones in the 6,000mah hour class (which is an extremely useful class, by the way) have a replacement back cover construction that is both of reasonable quality and durability to double as a case (look at what Incipio has with the DualPro for what I'd like to see.) I'd pay a rational price for that rather than a 99 cent piece of slippery plastic for a back cover, which at the same time makes using any of the standard cases impossible, but NOBODY in the third-party battery market has teamed up with someone like Incipio to make such a combination, nor have they done so themselves.

Pity....

I use the Perfine 6400mAh battery, which comes with a protective TPU case. Bought it on Amazon for $23.99. The battery performs great and the case is comfortable to hold and non-slip.

tickerguy

Nov 4, 2016
Visit site
That's exactly the sort of cover design that shows the idiocy of the sellers. There is ZERO protection for the camera lens cover as they went "flat to the back" with that part of it, which is STUPID. That's one of the PRIMARY reasons to case a phone -- so you don't whack the camera when you set the device down on a flat surface.

If they were that braindead in their design what else did they get wrong with the cover? I'm not about to pay the money to find out. Again, if you want to see how it's done right look at the Incipio cases; if they made one that would house a 6k mah battery I'd be all over it in seconds.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
That's exactly the sort of cover design that shows the idiocy of the sellers. There is ZERO protection for the camera lens cover as they went "flat to the back" with that part of it, which is STUPID. That's one of the PRIMARY reasons to case a phone -- so you don't whack the camera when you set the device down on a flat surface.

If they were that braindead in their design what else did they get wrong with the cover? I'm not about to pay the money to find out. Again, if you want to see how it's done right look at the Incipio cases; if they made one that would house a 6k mah battery I'd be all over it in seconds.
Perfine updated the back cover to full thickness instead of that goofy looking style you're talking about. I just ordered it a few minutes ago, expecting it on Tuesday.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B06X...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU6152881

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Ok, here's's my initial impressions.

The battery itself fits snug. Not overly tight, but just enough to not worry about it moving around in the slot or being oversized. I haven't put it through its paces yet to judge its life, but I am running AcuBattery and 3C Battery Monitor Widget. I think the calibration may be off because it seems to charge just as fast as the stock battery when looking at the percentage numbers, so I may do a full discharge/recharge just to see.

The TPU case fits surprisingly well. It looks and feels just like an add on case, plus has lip protection extending above the screen. While it is flimsy when not on the phone, it is sturdy and solid once put on over the new battery. I'm not concerned about the loss of the metal back cover plate. Access to the fingerprint scanner is only mildly interfered with due to the added depth of the cover around it. My only real complaint so far is the volume buttons. They are molded, but shallow, and it's easy to hit both at the same time. I'd also like it if they are a bit more stiff, because it can be easy to accidently change the volume if they get bumped.

So far it's been a solid purchase.

datum9

May 30, 2013
Visit site
I used ZeroLemon 10,000 model with V10, they make a similar model for V20.

IMO it makes the phone just the right thickness. much easier to hold.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I almost forgot about this thread..

After a couple weeks on the Perfine, I sent it back. Either I got an old/defective battery, or they were scamming buyers because the capacity was just not improving over the OEM stock battery.

I gave the iPossible brand a try next. The measured estimated capacity isn't the full advertised 6,700mAh, but it's substantially more than stock and lasts longer to match. So I'm keeping this one.

Fyi, the case is the exact same as the Perfine case.

datum9

May 30, 2013
Visit site
a lot of these cheap batteries that say 10,000 aren't actually anywhere near the capacity.

I've found out that zerolemon and Mugen are the 2 brands that more or less have stated capacity but they are about $60.. the cheap $19.99 stuff is usually way off. I would be skeptical about 10,400 mAh claims.

BrokerDadFL

Dec 12, 2017
Visit site
My wife's V20 has been using the 6,800mAh batteries with the plastic back plate.

A few days ago, she complainted to me that Google Maps hasn't been working "right". I determined that the phone is GPS blind, no GPS sat reception (found by number

dlcpa

Nov 18, 2009
Visit site

I agree from a battery users since the introduction of the Note 2. Well that's not true my Blackberry had a replaceable battery but I think they all did at one point.

dnafog

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
I got my V20 (VZW VS995) from Ebay back in February and bought the Hyperion extended battery/cover with the TPU case. It lasts 4-5 days at home and all day on vacation. However... today the camera killed the fone 3 times today while snapping pics requiring a charger plug in to reboot. This happened a couple times on my G3 too. Very annoying I'm worried I may have to pack an external battery just to go into "charge" mode when I'm in the wild when my fone crashes

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci