I think it may be time to say goodbye to the LG V20

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Nope. I like whatever I'm looking at. The V20's display is fine to me. The V30's display is fine to me so I'm not the correct person to judge these things. However I've always been jealous of Samsung's displays and found them to be better.
Pretty much this. Specs and comparison tests can only go so far. I don't care if a display sets a record for technical accuracy. If I'm looking at what should be a white image (I.e the Google home page background) and it's looking yellowish, I'm not buying it. I know the V20 isn't 100% accurate, but it's the lesser of two evils to my eyes.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Pretty much this. Specs and comparison tests can only go so far. I don't care if a display sets a record for technical accuracy. If I'm looking at what should be a white image (I.e the Google home page background) and it's looking yellowish, I'm not buying it. I know the V20 isn't 100% accurate, but it's the lesser of two evils to my eyes.
It’s worth noting that LG displays usually have a cooler color temperature.

etad putta

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
Time for me to say hello to the V20. Picked one up for $170 on ebay. What a phone!! Hope you guys/gals enjoy the phones you move on to!

RaRa85

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
Time for me to say hello to the V20. Picked one up for $170 on ebay. What a phone!! Hope you guys/gals enjoy the phones you move on to!
Oh yeah that's a heck of a deal. I still may keep my V20 and just pay it off early and then upgrade after. It's an all around great phone.

RaRa85

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
Also I might add the rumor of being able to shoot 480fps super slow motion video at 1080p resolution. Just another feature to be excited to see. The narrow form of the S8 was off putting to me but I could forgive that form factor if everything holds up to be true. Can't wait to see what Samsung has in store.

michail71

Feb 6, 2016
Visit site
I spontaneously made the jump to the Note 8 yesterday and I've been blown away by it so far. I even kept the stock touchwiz/Samsung launcher. I've even been impresses with Samsung's apps. The pen is even more useful than the one on my Surface Pro 4.

The biggest issue is the lack of stock dark themes. Although there are some good workarounds for that they don't seem as polished as the default theme.

What did me in for the V20 was the periodic lag, occasionally running hot and really, really bad screen burn (after a year).

I do think it was an innovative phone when it came out and still is one of the best out there.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I spontaneously made the jump to the Note 8 yesterday and I've been blown away by it so far. I even kept the stock touchwiz/Samsung launcher. I've even been impresses with Samsung's apps. The pen is even more useful than the one on my Surface Pro 4.

The biggest issue is the lack of stock dark themes. Although there are some good workarounds for that they don't seem as polished as the default theme.

What did me in for the V20 was the periodic lag, occasionally running hot and really, really bad screen burn (after a year).

I do think it was an innovative phone when it came out and still is one of the best out there.

Note 8 and S8 Plus are too uncomfortable to use.. fingerprint scanner placement is very annoying and the curves get in the way. It's not as great but the V20 is more ergonomic for everyday use.

michail71

Feb 6, 2016
Visit site
Comfort would be highly individualized but I've not had an issue there. The N8 and V20 are very similar in size.

I've always been anti curved screen too but I decided to give it a go this time. I like the edge pullout tray. I'm still not sold on the curve but I'm getting used to it.

I actually like the finger print scanner. I'm right handed. So I can hold the device and slip my left index finger over. It's the perfect position for that. However, I don't get to use it that often. I mostly do the iris scanner, which is very fast.

The hardest thing for me to adjust to has been the double tap to wake.

Performance has blown me away. I have 30,000 photos in my one drive account. The V20 could never handle trying to scroll through them. The Note8 doesn't even hesitate.

Hopefully the N8 will not have as much issue with the screen burn. It became intolerable on my V20. After 8 months it had the worst case of burn I've ever seen. I could have warrantied it but the turnaround time was 2 weeks. It's hard to beat the replacement time iPhone users get.

tube517

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site

I just got one on Ebay as well. Will be my backup phone but I'll probably swtich off between my S8+ and the V20. Looking forward to getting on this Friday

vasekvi

May 5, 2013
Visit site
Can you post a link?
This is the battery case I use:

LG V30 / LG V30+ Battery Case, Newdery 4200mAh LG V30 Charger Case, Slim Portable Charging Case for LG V30 / V30+, Extended Battery Juice Pack Case/Type C Cable Input with Full Coverage Protection https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077MXH7V...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU6168830

This is the Qi Wireless 10,000mAh powerbank I also use:

Qi Wireless Portable Charger, Hokonui 10000mAh Fast Charging Power Bank with LED Digital Display External Battery Pack 2 in 1 for iPhone X, iPhone 8, 8 Plus, iPad, Samsung Galaxy S8, S8 Plus https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07856L56...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU6168830

RaRa85

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
Well the Galaxy S9 and S9+ are official and for me they tick all the boxes. Some of the boxes have changed.

What will I miss about the V20?

I will miss the build durability. I have to admit I put my second V20 through a lot of beating which is why I have to send it in for a replacement before i can upgrade. But it took A LOT of drops before finally landing at the right angle to damage the screen. I know I won't be able to get away with that on S9+.
I will miss the IR blaster. Not because it was a feature I needed but because it was just so convenient. Lose a remote. Kids take the batteries of the remote. Batteries die. You don't fix the problem. You just use your phone.lol It kinda transported beyond the mere mortal. Ha.
I'll miss HiFi audio recording direct from the phone. No other phone has come close to the V10 and V20 that I've used. I can't really say that I'll miss the removable battery since the battery life of the V20 was already so much improved over the V10 that I never bought a spare battery. I did buy an extended battery and that definitely was cool to have.
I'll probably miss the wide angle camera the most of all. This is just such a cool feature to have and I have taken many creative and beautiful shots using the wide angle sensor. Even more so on the V30 with the wider aperture.

Things in looking forward to.

Adjustable aperture. Just because it's actually a physical component and not relying some fake software to do it. I'm a smartphone camera enthusiast so the more things I can tinker with the better. That's why as good as the Google Pixel images are, I didn't really fall all the way in love with the point and shoot affair. Samsung has a pro mode that is very well balanced and laid out.
4k recording at 60fps. This to me is way more valuable than super slow motion 960fps recording. With 4k 60fps you can get the highest quality slow motion footage just by slowing down the video in post. And retain all that detail and crispness. I will surely put that feature to good use.
Telephoto lens. Well I'm losing out on the wide angle so the telephoto lens will allow me to find new creative ways to use that zoom lens. I already have some locations in mind to put it to good use as well.
Finally a great front facing camera. I didnt really care about the selfie camera too much but this year I have decided to get a lot of work done to my teeth after a number of years so the front facing camera is going to play a bigger role in my photos going forward. Plus I'm looking to take advantage of the larger aperture f/1.7 for date nights and such.
Stereo speakers. I'll have to test them in stores but stereo speakers is always a welcomed addition.
Better video stabilization and lightning fast focus. This goes under the camera section but Samsung phones have had great stabilization for a few years now which makes a gymbal more of a creative addition than a necessity. Also the dual pixel focus is proven to be not only fast but reliable in any situation.
Super AMOLED screen. The best in the business.

All that and the S9+ at least retains the headphone jack and microSD expansion. I have enjoyed my time with the V20 and glad to say I'm not leaving because I need too. These are all purely wants. I'm still waiting for the reviews and if all else fails I'll be upgrading to the V30+.

michail71

Feb 6, 2016
Visit site
Using a Note8 (which should should be close to the S9's camera) now I've really come to love the camera in comparison. The V20 was good in full manual mode but the Note8 just nails the shots in every mode. It focuses so much faster and with greater accuracy.

There is very little lag from launch to shot too. I missed quite a few spontaneous shots on the V20 from lag time focus/exposure.

It's the first smartphone I've had that feels like it qualifies to be a real camera.

Agent3

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
All that and the S9+ at least retains the headphone jack and microSD expansion. I have enjoyed my time with the V20 and glad to say I'm not leaving because I need too. These are all purely wants. I'm still waiting for the reviews and if all else fails I'll be upgrading to the V30+.

Same here! I have my eyes on the S9+. The main thing I will miss from the V20 is the removable battery, the DAC and my favorite, the ability to lower the gain on the mics when recording videos.

Last edited:

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Well the Galaxy S9 and S9+ are official and for me they tick all the boxes. Some of the boxes have changed.

What will I miss about the V20?

I will miss the build durability. I have to admit I put my second V20 through a lot of beating which is why I have to send it in for a replacement before i can upgrade. But it took A LOT of drops before finally landing at the right angle to damage the screen. I know I won't be able to get away with that on S9+.
I will miss the IR blaster. Not because it was a feature I needed but because it was just so convenient. Lose a remote. Kids take the batteries of the remote. Batteries die. You don't fix the problem. You just use your phone.lol It kinda transported beyond the mere mortal. Ha.
I'll miss HiFi audio recording direct from the phone. No other phone has come close to the V10 and V20 that I've used. I can't really say that I'll miss the removable battery since the battery life of the V20 was already so much improved over the V10 that I never bought a spare battery. I did buy an extended battery and that definitely was cool to have.
I'll probably miss the wide angle camera the most of all. This is just such a cool feature to have and I have taken many creative and beautiful shots using the wide angle sensor. Even more so on the V30 with the wider aperture.

Things in looking forward to.

Adjustable aperture. Just because it's actually a physical component and not relying some fake software to do it. I'm a smartphone camera enthusiast so the more things I can tinker with the better. That's why as good as the Google Pixel images are, I didn't really fall all the way in love with the point and shoot affair. Samsung has a pro mode that is very well balanced and laid out.
4k recording at 60fps. This to me is way more valuable than super slow motion 960fps recording. With 4k 60fps you can get the highest quality slow motion footage just by slowing down the video in post. And retain all that detail and crispness. I will surely put that feature to good use.
Telephoto lens. Well I'm losing out on the wide angle so the telephoto lens will allow me to find new creative ways to use that zoom lens. I already have some locations in mind to put it to good use as well.
Finally a great front facing camera. I didnt really care about the selfie camera too much but this year I have decided to get a lot of work done to my teeth after a number of years so the front facing camera is going to play a bigger role in my photos going forward. Plus I'm looking to take advantage of the larger aperture f/1.7 for date nights and such.
Stereo speakers. I'll have to test them in stores but stereo speakers is always a welcomed addition.
Better video stabilization and lightning fast focus. This goes under the camera section but Samsung phones have had great stabilization for a few years now which makes a gymbal more of a creative addition than a necessity. Also the dual pixel focus is proven to be not only fast but reliable in any situation.
Super AMOLED screen. The best in the business.

So all of a sudden someone creates an adjustable aperture in a cell phone and we dismiss other cameras that rely on fake software? As far as I know the software is real.... lol

RaRa85

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
So all of a sudden someone creates an adjustable aperture in a cell phone and we dismiss other cameras that rely on fake software? As far as I know the software is real.... lol
Nope. Nowhere did I say that and I don't know why you're implying that. I just really appreciate the fact that this is a real hardware feature that doesn't have to rely on software. It's more true to life and another option to add when planning shots in manual mode. I know you're the point and shoot guy with the Google Pixel 2 and that's fine. It really has the best software solutions for photography. I just love to have options. Especially without having to rely on a third party app.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Nope. Nowhere did I say that and I don't know why you're implying that. I just really appreciate the fact that this is a real hardware feature that doesn't have to rely on software. It's more true to life and another option to add when planning shots in manual mode. I know you're the point and shoot guy with the Google Pixel 2 and that's fine. It really has the best software solutions for photography. I just love to have options. Especially without having to rely on a third party app.

Your words...I guess I misunderstood something

".... Adjustable aperture. Just because it's actually a physical component and not relying some fake software to do it....."

I'm not a point and shoot guy, but when it comes to a phone I prefer using the Pixel 2XL and not just for it's camera. If I want to play with manual settings I have a pocketable DSLR with a motorized internal zoom.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech