Strange Text Activity on V20

Cephus404

Feb 22, 2018
Visit site
This is something that's started happening recently, but whenever I text back and forth to my wife, the phone will split our responses into different threads. I will read her texts in one thread and all of my responses will go to another. This doesn't happen on her V20. I wind up with two text threads, one all of her texts and the other all of mine. I tried deleting both threads and it deletes her information entirely out of my contact list and I have to recreate it.

Any ideas?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Sorry, what I meant was the actual Google Voice service, where you get a new number that you can link multiple numbers to. But either way, it sounds like that's not the issue.

Were either of the threads part of a group text?

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
This is something that's started happening recently, but whenever I text back and forth to my wife, the phone will split our responses into different threads.
What else also happened recently? Any new OS or application updates/installs?
What messaging application are you using, and is she using the same one?
Does this also happen in Safe mode?

Cephus404

Feb 22, 2018
Visit site
What else also happened recently? Any new OS or application updates/installs?
What messaging application are you using, and is she using the same one?
Does this also happen in Safe mode?

We're both using the standard app that comes with the phone. Nothing has been installed, I pretty much only use the phone for calls and texts.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I tried deleting both threads and it deletes her information entirely out of my contact list and I have to recreate it.

This part of it puzzles me as well. Is she saved to your Google Contacts, or only locally to the Phone account's contacts?

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Disable Google Hangouts (I think it's still called that, could be something else). It gives you option to use that instead of SMS. Check any carrier apps like Verizon Messages.. they sometimes have their own SMS app too.

Also, go to settings > networks > mobile data > and scroll down till you see the messaging app (SMS) and then make sure both background data and unrestricted use is turn on. Make sure data saver is turned off. MMS sometimes uses data and it needs permission before you accept the message, especially long messages, photos, or group messages.

Cephus404

Feb 22, 2018
Visit site
This part of it puzzles me as well. Is she saved to your Google Contacts, or only locally to the Phone account's contacts?

Only locally to the phone but that's how it's been for several phones now, all of my contact data just got copied over from the last phone and the one before that.

Cephus404

Feb 22, 2018
Visit site
Disable Google Hangouts (I think it's still called that, could be something else). It gives you option to use that instead of SMS. Check any carrier apps like Verizon Messages.. they sometimes have their own SMS app too.

Also, go to settings > networks > mobile data > and scroll down till you see the messaging app (SMS) and then make sure both background data and unrestricted use is turn on. Make sure data saver is turned off. MMS sometimes uses data and it needs permission before you accept the message, especially long messages, photos, or group messages.

There is no separate SMS app on the phone, it's all through whatever internal app T-Mobile has set up.

TNCattleDog

Dec 21, 2013
Visit site
It happens to me every once in a while. Look at your wifes contact info. You probably have two similar phone numbers for her in your contact.

For instance, if I open up my wifes contact panel, it shows two mobile numbers for her

(865) 123-4567 - Mobile
123-4567 - Mobile

Notice the area code is missing from one of them. I deleted one of the phone numbers and it seems to have fixed the problem.

David

Cephus404

Feb 22, 2018
Visit site
It happens to me every once in a while. Look at your wifes contact info. You probably have two similar phone numbers for her in your contact.

For instance, if I open up my wifes contact panel, it shows two mobile numbers for her

(865) 123-4567 - Mobile
123-4567 - Mobile

Notice the area code is missing from one of them. I deleted one of the phone numbers and it seems to have fixed the problem.

David

Nope, she has one phone number. Good idea though.

LuvMusic

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
I'm not a big fan of "Messages", the stock messaging app that LG includes on its phone. It seems to me it is not reliable. When I first got my V20 it worked fine. Then I couldn't "reply to all" in group text messages, then I couldn't see GIF's that I attached to texts. And then, I had enough......switched to Textra, all is well and I haven't looked back.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
faret