Is anyone still keeping their V20?

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Sure it's outdated technology.. But what you buy today with the latest and greatest New phones will be tomorrow.

I would actually beg you differ on this point. 2 year old chipsets and such on today's phones are still worthy performers. Smartphones have advanced to the point that specs have kind of plateaued. I remember when I got my Droid Bionic. That was a near game changer because it was the first phone with 2 GB of RAM and really opened up the performance at the time by doubling what others could offer. That same 1 GB increase in memory today, or even a 2 GB increase garners little more than a yawn. The same goes for processors, storage, cameras, etc. What has come out since the V20 have been little more than a spec bump in performance, which most people probably wouldn't even notice much.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I would actually beg you differ on this point. 2 year old chipsets and such on today's phones are still worthy performers. Smartphones have advanced to the point that specs have kind of plateaued. I remember when I got my Droid Bionic. That was a near game changer because it was the first phone with 2 GB of RAM and really opened up the performance at the time by doubling what others could offer. That same 1 GB increase in memory today, or even a 2 GB increase garners little more than a yawn. The same goes for processors, storage, cameras, etc. What has come out since the V20 have been little more than a spec bump in performance, which most people probably wouldn't even notice much.

They have mid-rangers that are weaker in specs and costs more than a flagship from 2 years ago which is still excellent and better.

IMO they are making phones nowadays more disposable just like they do with inkjet printers, creating a mountain of e-waste, China is no longer taking USAs trash and recycling it. They need to make phones last longer instead of releasing phones yearly

MDMcAtee

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site

What I tried to get across was... Just because it is brand new (not the v20) and the latest technology today... Tomorrow it too will be outdated... at least to some folks who buy into having to have the latest and greatest all of the time... My v20 really isn't lacking compared to anything out today... However according to all of the tech writers and reviewers it's outdated not only from a technological standpoint but the whole design with it's removable non recycled glass (metal) back and replaceable battery..

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
What I tried to get across was... Just because it is brand new (not the v20) and the latest technology today... Tomorrow it too will be outdated... at least to some folks who buy into having to have the latest and greatest all of the time... My v20 really isn't lacking compared to anything out today... However according to all of the tech writers and reviewers it's outdated not only from a technological standpoint but the whole design with it's removable non recycled glass (metal) back and replaceable battery..
And my point was challenging that notion that the V20 is outdated. Older, yes, but not outdated by any means.

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
Outdated is subjective. The V20 doesn't follow current design trends and that may make it "outdated" for some. However, the device is likely still very current from a performance standpoint. I miss my V20s, wish I still had them.
And my point was challenging that notion that the V20 is outdated. Older, yes, but not outdated by any means.

Last edited:

LuvMusic

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
I'm still using my V20 and it still meets my needs. It gets the job done for me, even though there might be phones out there that my be "faster and more modern." Buying a new phone (for me) has become more of an emotional versus financial or technical feature decision. LG got me going with the V10 and dedicated DAC. The V20 was an improvement. The V30 just doesn't seem to excite me (or any of Sammy's current phones).

A phone for me is outdated or needs to be replaced when:

- It is no longer supported and / or no longer receives OS updates (security issue),
- New network / band / data standards are not supported (like the upcoming change from 4G to 5G), or
- The phone no longer functions properly.

For now my V20 does not fit into any of the above scenarios and I'm still waiting for a phone that results in me feeling "Hell Yeah!"

My 2 cents!

Tran Trung Le

Apr 16, 2016
Visit site
If there is a new phone can beat my Mugenn battery of 10 hrs SOT but still maintain the same speed performance, then I can consider a switch :)

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
If there is a new phone can beat my Mugenn battery of 10 hrs SOT but still maintain the same speed performance, then I can consider a switch :)

That's the best thing about removable batteries, you can use a 3rd party accessory like an extended battery. Also the headphone jack is still on the V20, but also included a Quad DAC. The headphone jack also acts as an accessory port (selfie stick camera shutter button, credit card reader, etc.). Removable battery plus no screen burn in from AMOLED, this phone will last a long time.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I'm still using my V20 and it still meets my needs. It gets the job done for me, even though there might be phones out there that my be "faster and more modern." Buying a new phone (for me) has become more of an emotional versus financial or technical feature decision. LG got me going with the V10 and dedicated DAC. The V20 was an improvement. The V30 just doesn't seem to excite me (or any of Sammy's current phones).

A phone for me is outdated or needs to be replaced when:

- It is no longer supported and / or no longer receives OS updates (security issue),
- New network / band / data standards are not supported (like the upcoming change from 4G to 5G), or
- The phone no longer functions properly.

For now my V20 does not fit into any of the above scenarios and I'm still waiting for a phone that results in me feeling "Hell Yeah!"

My 2 cents!

You don't need OS updates, I keep them turned off on my Windows PC and the laptop runs MUCH BETTER without updates... updates take up space, slows down the PC, and doesn't really improve anything in fact sometimes changing or removing features you were already accustomed to. 5G speeds are not really necessary just an added plus, 4G LTE is still very fast, in fact sometimes faster than most WiFi.

RaRa85

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
In an unexpected twist I've actually downgraded from the V20 as of today. The sd card slot became so sensitive that it wouldn't record sometimes and the phone would become unresponsive at least once a week and the main app I used on my V20 became unreliable: the camera app. I recorded an entire evening yesterday only to find out that none of the videos saved to the memory card. So today I went into T-Mobile and downgraded to an LG Aristo. I was basically waiting to see what the LG V40 and Pixel 3 had to display before upgrading anyway and this move lowers my monthly bill quite a bit. So needless to say I won't be taking many pictures if any for the next couple months. The next phone I get I plan to keep for at least three years and focus on other things like building up my camera gear. I'm officially in the grandma phone category. Its definitely an adjustment but its ok.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
In an unexpected twist I've actually downgraded from the V20 as of today. The sd card slot became so sensitive that it wouldn't record sometimes and the phone would become unresponsive at least once a week and the main app I used on my V20 became unreliable: the camera app. I recorded an entire evening yesterday only to find out that none of the videos saved to the memory card. So today I went into T-Mobile and downgraded to an LG Aristo. I was basically waiting to see what the LG V40 and Pixel 3 had to display before upgrading anyway and this move lowers my monthly bill quite a bit. So needless to say I won't be taking many pictures if any for the next couple months. The next phone I get I plan to keep for at least three years and focus on other things like building up my camera gear. I'm officially in the grandma phone category. Its definitely an adjustment but its ok.
Just curious, but did you by any chance try a different memory card or switching the camera to save to internal storage? I'd hate to think you gave up the phone for something as simple as a memory card gone bad.

RaRa85

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
Just curious, but did you by any chance try a different memory card or switching the camera to save to internal storage? I'd hate to think you gave up the phone for something as simple as a memory card gone bad.
Well thats the thing. The camera app was still crashing on me even when I was saving to internal memory. Also I backed up a bunch of photos and videos to my laptop and none of them were able to be played back whether I saved it to internal memory or the sd card. Anyway I think something just clicked and I realized they're just phones. The V20 served its purpose very well for me when I had it and thats good enough for me. I think I'm carrying that same attitude going forward. Can't say anything bad about the phone. Just had a few issues towards the end.

Last edited:

Bay 13

Apr 29, 2018
Visit site
I absolutely agree. The V20 was the absolutely LAST true Android phone.. the last innovative one with the most PRACTICAL design. It has the most ideal features and is actually durable while still being incredibly thin. Too bad LG succumbed to the notch and glass body trend.. oh well, guess they had to do it to survive. I'm happy with the V20 and this phone is still amazing to me.. don't care about an HD front facing camera.. people don't like that anyways it will show all your wrinkles and blemishes.. and the cameras nowadays has too much fake post processing, it looks like you have makeup on your face.

Yes...you are right. The V20 is the last true Android phone. Mr. Mobile said on his G7 Thinq review that he miss LG "being different" from all the OEM's in the marketplace. He stated that LG is following now instead of leading with innovation. Just tonight...my boss was trying to take a group picture at dinner and could not fit everyone in the photo of her Blu phone camera. I handed her my V20 to take the wide angle photo and she was blown away. Everyone else at the table had Iphones and Samsung phones. One guy said "I heard LG's have nice cameras."

I was about to show out and turn on the TV with my IR blaster that no one else had in their phones.

Last edited:

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Yes...you are right. The V20 is the last true Android phone. Mr. Mobile said on his G7 Thinq review that he miss LG "being different" from all the OEM's in the marketplace. He stated that LG is following now instead of leading with innovation. Just tonight...my boss was trying to take a group picture at dinner and could not fit everyone in the photo of her Blu phone camera. I handed her my V20 to take the wide angle photo and she was blown away. Everyone else at the table had Iphones and Samsung phones. One guy said "I heard LG's have nice cameras."

I was about to show out and turn on the TV with my IR blaster that no one else had in their phones.

Show them the removable battery, they will be shocked. "Remember when phones had removable batteries?" "Wow, that's magic!" Funny how an ancient technology is better than new (ahem, headphone jack?). Only fanboys will defend the removal of a feature, greedy business moves by corporate America. "You want more? No, you get less, you pay for more" then spend $1300 for a 128GB model (however you can spend $35 for a 128GB microSD) and then battery dies in 1.5 years, you throw the entire phone away.

Despite the changes, I'd still get an LG over any other flagship.. way too much features lacking on today's smartphone... boring, too much emphasis on the appearance... need microSD card, headphone jack, wide angle camera... We have placed smartphones on the pedestal and forgotten the roots of what a phone is supposed to be. It's not a piece of shiney jewelry, it's a tool that we use everyday.. make it convenient and make it practical not stylish.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
V20, almost 2 years old, how long it's supposed to last?

Just planning ahead, the Galaxy Note 4 already had a planned obsolescence date of 2-3 years max before the chips started to fail. How long can the SSD (internal storage) chip can last before reaching its end of life? I've heard SSD drives on computers have a limited read/write number, what about phones?

The V20 served me well and I'll probably end up getting a new LG phone if it ever happens. But until then, the phone is still phenomenal.. battery performance is the most reliable I've had (standby time at least), still has 4GB RAM which is plenty, and camera is still good enough for today's standards (at least with the Pixel 2 camera app). BTW I highly doubt it'll happen anytime soon.

krazyatom

Trusted Member
Jan 4, 2015
Visit site
Re: V20, almost 2 years old, how long it's supposed to last?

If it works like a computer SSD, it will last very long time. My SSD computer is still going strong after 5 years. I have at&t v20 and if it get Android O and P, it will last 3-4 years for me.

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Ambassador
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site

It could last for many years. We have a Note 2 in the family that is STILL around and working. NOW of course it SEEMS much slower because newer phones are much faster, BUT it gets the job done. We use it when one of the kids breaks a phone, then they have to use the Note 2, until they can get a new phone. ;)

The LG V20 is a fine phone! As is its successor the V30 which I currently have. (but I'm using a OP6 more)

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site

Still using mine. Still have a warranty until October so I figure it is toast by November. I am looking at the iPhone 8+ because I like the LCD and 16:9 flat screen ratio.

tickerguy

Nov 4, 2016
Visit site

Phones usually die because of physical abuse (e.g. water, screen damage, etc) or either the charging port or buttons fail. The latter are replaceable -- the switches are inexpensive but the soldering job to replace them is fairly delicate work (requires a hot-air station, etc.) The former is frequently replaceable too, IF you can get the parts (the switches are usually easy to source as they're common between brands and models.)

With that said on a ~2+ year old device having the switches replaced is usually not worth it; it's an hour of a tech's time to do it and he has to have the equipment, so you're going to pay a decent amount to have it done -- $100 to fix a phone you can buy for $200, leaving everything else in the "original" shape, doesn't seem to be a very good investment to me.