Is anyone still keeping their V20?

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Just curious who still has it lol this is the longest I've ever owned a phone (except for the Motorola bar phones and flip phones from back in the day). There isn't really a NEED for me, but more like a want to get the latest and greatest. But lately I've been using a REAL camera to take photos, so I don't see what the point is getting a new phone. Battery is NOT a problem if I have 4 spare batteries. Looking forward to the V30s ThinkQ though just for an updated phone. I honestly don't understand it when people say "My V20 is slowing down, it lags and reboots.. I want to throw it across the room!" How can a phone slow down like that? Unless you don't know how to manage your phones apps, this phone still works exactly the same as brand new, battery life has not changed much either.

Are you still using your V20? If so, why? How long do you plan to keep it? What phone will you get next? If I ever do upgrade, the V20 makes a great universal remote controller and audio player.

MittenSportsFan

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
Just curious who still has it lol this is the longest I've ever owned a phone (except for the Motorola bar phones and flip phones from back in the day). There isn't really a NEED for me, but more like a want to get the latest and greatest. But lately I've been using a REAL camera to take photos, so I don't see what the point is getting a new phone. Battery is NOT a problem if I have 4 spare batteries. Looking forward to the V30s ThinkQ though just for an updated phone. I honestly don't understand it when people say "My V20 is slowing down, it lags and reboots.. I want to throw it across the room!" How can a phone slow down like that? Unless you don't know how to manage your phones apps, this phone still works exactly the same as brand new, battery life has not changed much either.

Are you still using your V20? If so, why? How long do you plan to keep it? What phone will you get next? If I ever do upgrade, the V20 makes a great universal remote controller and audio player.
No plan to replace V20 at this point. Only if performance deteriorates or some new compelling phone is introduced.
So far only thing new phones have are faster chip and better camera. They lose replaceable battery, IR blaster, and large 16x9 screen.
Net loss for me to get new phone.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Only when it could be deemed a true upgrade, not a sacrifice.

Though, I do have my eye on the coming CAT S61 phone. If money wasn't an option, that's one I would be tempted to get because it actually offered several functions you won't find on other phones.

AtTheHop

Nov 20, 2016
Visit site
No reason to spend any money to upgrade to a phone that does not have removable battery or accept additional sd card.

Last edited:

mwake4goten

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
I do have some sympathy with those who mention that their phone is slowing down. Theres lots of reasons why this might be...for example I owned HTC M8 and always had software and app updates on my phone. Eventually over time as app sizes became bigger with greater functionality my once snappy M8 became slower and slower. I've learnt my lesson now, I have a HTC 10 and first thing I did was switch off automatic app updates... 18 months later no slowdowns feels snappy like day one....

kal_el_5011

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site

I am in TOTAL and COMPLETE agreement with you. I love this phone so much. I switched from the Galaxy line, which I loved. I had read an article that said why do I keep getting a Galaxy when the allure fades away after it's first year?! And he was right. I seemed to always hate my galaxy after the first year and the battery drained like crazy. My v20 still has amazing battery life and is spectacular. I don't want to switch but I do want newer tech..... Eventually!!!

Chromium 4

May 28, 2017
Visit site
I love my V20. It's one of the best phones I've ever used and since I'm no one's fan boy, I've had devices from a variety of manufacturers. This phone is like a Swiss Army knife...it just does so many things well. When I got the urge to upgrade I went with the Note 8 which I use with the VR, 360 camera or those times when I need a good zoom lens. But the V20 remains my daily driver. It's funny but I find more and more people are "discovering" this underrated gem, especially since the price of the flagship have spiraled out of control. I plan on using this phone until it's no longer practical.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I am in TOTAL and COMPLETE agreement with you. I love this phone so much. I switched from the Galaxy line, which I loved. I had read an article that said why do I keep getting a Galaxy when the allure fades away after it's first year?! And he was right. I seemed to always hate my galaxy after the first year and the battery drained like crazy. My v20 still has amazing battery life and is spectacular. I don't want to switch but I do want newer tech..... Eventually!!!

The V-series line is truly amazing! I was *this* close to getting a V30; but I decided on another device. However, I'd like to try out a V-series phone in the future! What kind of phone would you update to? Would you consider a V30 successor?

kal_el_5011

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
The V-series line is truly amazing! I was *this* close to getting a V30; but I decided on another device. However, I'd like to try out a V-series phone in the future! What kind of phone would you update to? Would you consider a V30 successor?
Yeah, it's absolutely consider a V line series upgrade. I'm willing to wait another year to see what a V40 looks like. But I'd be willing to go for a V30 considering the battery life I've been getting out of my 20. Of course it sucks not having swappable batteries but I've been more than happy with my battery capacity not losing its energy any where near as much as my galaxy's did.

Having said that, I'd also switch to A Google phone but only to switch to Google Fi for my cell service. I have Sprint.

jmssarno

Jul 6, 2014
Visit site
I agree, there's no real reason to upgrade from the V20, except for the "Oooh" and "Wow" factor of a new device.

I've had my V20 since launch and I love it. My phone doesn't lag or slow down or anything like that. With proper device management that shouldn't happen...

I'm looking at the V30S ThinQ and looking forward to what the upcoming Pixel 3 brings to the table. Again, after the oooohs and aaaahs, will there be a legitimate reason to upgrade from my V20? I don't know, only time will tell. But as of right now, it looks like I'm going to be loving my V20 a bit longer.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, it's absolutely consider a V line series upgrade. I'm willing to wait another year to see what a V40 looks like. But I'd be willing to go for a V30 considering the battery life I've been getting out of my 20. Of course it sucks not having swappable batteries but I've been more than happy with my battery capacity not losing its energy any where near as much as my galaxy's did.

Having said that, I'd also switch to A Google phone but only to switch to Google Fi for my cell service. I have Sprint.

For sure! I loved removable batteries as well... It's pretty sad that we don't have them on very many phones anymore!

tube517

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
I just bought a refurb (fair condition) at a nice price and it was intended to be a backup.

Now, it is my daily. I still love my S8+ but now I can let that one rest once in a while and use my v20.

kal_el_5011

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
I just bought a refurb (fair condition) at a nice price and it was intended to be a backup.

Now, it is my daily. I still love my S8+ but now I can let that one rest once in a while and use my v20.
Do you notice a significant difference between the two?

tube517

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
Do you notice a significant difference between the two?

S8+ is a faster phone and it is a very nice display for video playback.

The V20 has some nice features that the S8+ does not have. Removable battery, Quad DAC, 2nd screen. It's a different experience.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
If Note 8 had dropped to a reasonable price on VZW I might have switched but crazy how they want full price.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelrie