Oreo is coming "pretty soon"

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I'll positive I'm not going to like something about it. If nothing else, it'll for sure have a newer version of Chrome than what I'm using, and each version is better than the next for that app.

Yeah I'm not installing any OTA update.. the last one installed some extra junk app that kept running in the background until I removed it via sideload... The phone won't perform any better than it will right now, in fact it probably runs faster now than it will ever.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Yeah I'm not installing any OTA update.. the last one installed some extra junk app that kept running in the background until I removed it via sideload... The phone won't perform any better than it will right now, in fact it probably runs faster now than it will ever.
Unfortunately Verizon phones have a strong tendency to update themselves overnight while you're sleeping, so there's no way to stop it.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site

Even if it were to improve your battery life

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Even if it were to improve your battery life

Android 7.0 is still very good for battery... just Snapdragon 820 consumes battery.. I doubt an OTA update will give better battery life. Though, I might update if LG gives the option to change the resolution to 1080p instead of the 1440p to help with battery like the Samsung phones.

tickerguy

Nov 4, 2016
Visit site
Depends on what you're doing. The V20 is pretty darn good as long as you're not hammering the CPU. I find it amusing that people expect a CPU under heavy actual use to not consume power :)

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Apple intentionally slowed down their phones w updates. Anybody think LG is "above" this policy?

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Apple intentionally slowed down their phones w updates. Anybody think LG is "above" this policy?
Considering it only slows phones with bad batteries and performance is restored when replacing it, I don't think it's much of a concern even if others follow suit. And if they do, well us V20 users get to point and laugh at everyone else having to spend more time and money to get theirs replaced.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Considering it only slows phones with bad batteries and performance is restored when replacing it, I don't think it's much of a concern even if others follow suit. And if they do, well us V20 users get to point and laugh at everyone else having to spend more time and money to get theirs replaced.
Samsung Note 4 went to crap after an update. Ditto my old Thunderbolt. I believe manufacturers intentionally gum up old models w updates to sell new ones. The "protect the battery" stuff is a smokescreen.

jmssarno

Jul 6, 2014
Visit site
I'm looking forward to the update. Although my phone is running smoothly, if the Oreo update screws up my device then it will give me a legitimate excuse to upgrade my phone... V30S+?

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Samsung Note 4 went to crap after an update. Ditto my old Thunderbolt. I believe manufacturers intentionally gum up old models w updates to sell new ones. The "protect the battery" stuff is a smokescreen.
Well you can't expect a 386 to run Window's 10 either. Updates always add new features and new resource demands, for better or worse. If people weren't so hung up on always needing the latest update (if not the one after), manufacturers wouldn't be pushed to keep releasing for old phones. People expect two years worth of updates, not talking into account that technology is evolving so fast that keeping that sort of schedule just isn't practical on a phone with non-upgradable hardware.

Is it possible that manufacturers are intentionally slowing phones down to sell more? From a technical standpoint, of course. If that is what is actually happening, I've yet to see one piece of evidence where this is happening. Especially with Android. So far it's all circumstantial. I would think that with all those claims, at least one hacker, developer, leaker, etc. would have pointed out a line of code or something under-clocking the processor or whatever. Not to mention how much of a publicity backlash that would create. Who in their right mind would buy a phone they know will be sabotaged by the manufacturer?

donebrasko

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
Re: Oreo is coming "pretty soon"

Oh man one update destroyed my Note 4. I immediately wanted nothing else to do with it anymore more. (Hello V10)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781