06-04-2018 02:52 PM
26 12
tools
    I've had the V20 since launch in 2016. I still owed 224 on the phone. Last week a Verizon guy did what he called a forced buyout and they paid for half of my remaining bill since I've been with them over ten years. So I paid 112 and I owe nothing now.

Now I can trade the V20 in and get 35% off of the s9+. That means that I would be paying less monthly than I had for the V20.

I like the V20 but I think between that$112 and the trade in reduction, that I won't get this much money for the V20 anywhere else.

I love LG and I haven't had a Samsung since the note 4. I think I'm ready to give them a try.

I don't see myself leaving Verizon over the next two years I wish that I could but the s9+ straight out and keep my bill down.

Would y'all trade it in?
    04-06-2018 10:09 AM
    I've had the V20 since launch in 2016. I still owed 224 on the phone. Last week a Verizon guy did what he called a forced buyout and they paid for half of my remaining bill since I've been with them over ten years. So I paid 112 and I owe nothing now.

Now I can trade the V20 in and get 35% off of the s9+. That means that I would be paying less monthly than I had for the V20.

I like the V20 but I think between that$112 and the trade in reduction, that I won't get this much money for the V20 anywhere else.

I love LG and I haven't had a Samsung since the note 4. I think I'm ready to give them a try.

I don't see myself leaving Verizon over the next two years I wish that I could but the s9+ straight out and keep my bill down.

Would y'all trade it in?
    I'm in the same boat as you except on T-Mobile. If I were you I'd just pay it off and keep the V20. I'm ever so tempted to get that S9+ but I just keep telling myself to be patient. Especially if LG finally gets everything right with their next device. And I would like to wait to see what Google has in store for the Pixel 3. If you can pay off the remaining balance and then decide if you want to upgrade now or later. Unless you already have a reliable backup phone lying around in which case you might not need to keep it anyway. Just my thoughts.
    04-06-2018 10:20 AM
    I wouldn't. For that money keep it. I kept mine and got a V30.
    04-06-2018 10:20 AM
    Both. Samsung's I had were junk
    Screen is fragile too.
    I staying with my v20
    Love it!
    huntnyc, recDNA and cdubb1 like this.
    04-06-2018 12:05 PM
    I've hard reset it twice and now I'm going to have to do it again I think. I couldn't even record a video today without it slowing down on me. The whole video is ruined. I've been all LG for the V10 and V20.

I think I'm going to do it and then just buy another one later if I want it. The amount they are willing to give me along with the additional $112 from them is the only reason I'm considering it. It's more than what I would get it if I sold it.
    04-06-2018 01:03 PM
    I've hard reset it twice and now I'm going to have to do it again I think. I couldn't even record a video today without it slowing down on me. The whole video is ruined. I've been all LG for the V10 and V20.

I think I'm going to do it and then just buy another one later if I want it. The amount they are willing to give me along with the additional $112 from them is the only reason I'm considering it. It's more than what I would get it if I sold it.
    Oh yeah I've had some stability and freeze up issues on mine as well. I'm giving the Oreo update a chance before deciding what to do but if that doesn't fix those issues I will be upgrading to the S9+. I actually missed a family moment at my son's school program because the camera app froze right before his speech immediately after recorded the kid before him. I was very upset about it but chose to keep it instead. We'll see. Sounds like they're offering you a good deal for real though. I don't blame you.
    04-06-2018 01:12 PM
    Nope I'm in the same boat but no one from Verizon is offering to pay half on my remaining balance lol. Plus I traded in my V10 when I got the V20 and theyre still crediting my bill $12.50/month to pay for my V10 trade (hate how Verizon does it that way) so I refuse to update until I've gotten all my $ back for my V10! Hubby has the Samsung and I'm not real impressed
    huntnyc and wmurch3 like this.
    04-07-2018 04:19 PM

Would y'all trade it in?
    Hey what prompted them to offer to do a forced buyout anyways?
    04-07-2018 04:20 PM

Would y'all trade it in?
    I had an LG G4 and my trusty V20. When Samsung Direct ran a promo for the Note8 I traded in the G4 for $300 off plus a free Gear 360 camera so I would say go for the upgrade opportunity. You can always pick up another V20 for cheap off of Swappa or one of the other sites.
    04-07-2018 11:40 PM
    Hey what prompted them to offer to do a forced buyout anyways?
    I just called to see if there was something they could do because "I really needed to get another phone since this one was having a lot of issues". He said since I've been with them for so long and I owed 224, they would be willing to pay half of what I have left.

A lot of times I think it all depends on who you talk to.
    04-08-2018 12:11 AM
    This is the 1st I'm hearing of forced buyout...I'm betting someone wanted to make a sale
    04-09-2018 11:55 AM
    Keep your V20 as a backup, you'll never know if one day you break your S9+ and you'll be spending MUCH more on repair or replacement. Who knows, maybe you might not even like the S9+. You can also try selling on Swappa, the phone is worth more than $112. You can switch from Verizon post-paid to pre-paid and save yourself some money each month, and then just purchase the phone outright.. you might save a huge chunk of money buying from someone else second hand brand new.. the taxes on the phones are insane. Some people use their upgrade or get a free phone through a promotion and then sell their phones online, brand new. Some places don't charge sales tax such as B&H Photo Video (if you live outside of NY).
    04-09-2018 12:24 PM
    This is the 1st I'm hearing of forced buyout...I'm betting someone wanted to make a sale
    I've never heard of it either but I took the deal.
    04-09-2018 01:23 PM
    Keep your V20 as a backup, you'll never know if one day you break your S9+ and you'll be spending MUCH more on repair or replacement. Who knows, maybe you might not even like the S9+. You can also try selling on Swappa, the phone is worth more than $112. You can switch from Verizon post-paid to pre-paid and save yourself some money each month, and then just purchase the phone outright.. you might save a huge chunk of money buying from someone else second hand brand new.. the taxes on the phones are insane. Some people use their upgrade or get a free phone through a promotion and then sell their phones online, brand new. Some places don't charge sales tax such as B&H Photo Video (if you live outside of NY).
    Verizon gave me $325 for the v20 and comped me the $112
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    04-09-2018 01:23 PM
    I like my IR blaster and removable battery. S9 doesn't have much to offer unless you play games, want a slightly better Auto camera, or like the aesthetics.
    huntnyc likes this.
    04-09-2018 03:25 PM
    I've never heard of it either but I took the deal.
    Hey if I was having issues with my device and they offered to pay half...heck yeah id take that too!
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    04-10-2018 07:24 AM
    I would not, I have S8+ which is almost the same thing as S9, basically the same phone with very minor upgrades.

I would not give up 16:9, removable battery, and flat screen for these s9 features.

35% off what price - it's hugely overpriced. Just wait 6 months and see what they go for on Ebay.
    recDNA likes this.
    04-11-2018 09:50 AM

Would y'all trade it in?
    Experience here. Pretty much no.

I had a v20, bought it as an enthusiast. The big screen, the removable battery, the amazing sound, dual 16mp. My only issue is I messed up the charging port, so no quick charge, and I would have to replace the entire mobo to fix it.

My wife had to come onto my Verizon plan. Buy 1 get 1, we both got the S9. The s9 is my primary phone, but I keep the v20 around. The v20 has much better sound, better cameras (except low light), still love the spare batteries. It's basically my "Disney" cameraphone, which I use to take more serious photos, and the phone I use to listen to music with my M50x headphones. The s9 also crashes almost all my apps frequently..... No joke, chrome actually just crashed on me mid sentence (thank you auto save). My wife's phone doesn't crash as often as mine.

The v20 is a better phone, but, of course, the s9 is newer, so it's faster, cleaner, and has a beautiful screen. LG shot itself in the foot by scrapping removable batteries. I switched back to Samsung, after 5 years of LG, not just because of the buy1get1 deal, but because if LG is going to copy what Samsung does, I might as well just get the Samsung. If LG comes out with a removable battery flagship, I'd sell my s9 in an instant.
    J Dubbs likes this.
    04-24-2018 08:12 PM
    I ended up getting the s9 from Best Buy for 19.25 a month and I got to keep my V20. My bill will be cheaper than what I was paying for the v20
    huntnyc, RaRa85 and flyingkytez like this.
    04-24-2018 08:21 PM
    Nice setup...I have the Note 8 so I switch between that and the V20. They're a great duo for snapping pictures/video. The V20 for the extra wide angle POV and the Note for the zoom shots.
    04-25-2018 11:01 PM
    I ended up getting the s9 from Best Buy for 19.25 a month and I got to keep my V20. My bill will be cheaper than what I was paying for the v20
    Wow that's dope.
    04-25-2018 11:55 PM
    Wow that's dope.
    I'm just glad I got to keep my V20
    RaRa85 likes this.
    04-26-2018 06:02 AM
    Verizon gave me $325 for the v20 and comped me the $112
    Okay that's not a bad deal then, but I wonder how much your monthly bill costs.
    04-26-2018 12:00 PM
    Yeah don't always go directly to the corporate store, not always the best price. Best Buy does price matching too (only local or sold by Amazon) so you'll get the lowest price.
    04-26-2018 12:02 PM
    And the tempation is so real! Price drop and $0 down for the V30.
    04-26-2018 02:28 PM
26 12