Hot Phones and Battery Drain

Jon Sewald

Jan 20, 2015
Visit site
Anyone else having issues with their phones? I charged mine this morning, went 2 miles to work and I noticed my pocket was hot. I took my v20 out of my pocket and the screen was on, the battery had dropped to 94%. Turned it off and set it on my desk, the battery was at 94%. I checked on it an hour later, still blistering hot, 49%. Popped out the battery, let everything cool down, put it back together, 31%.
The battery drain on this thing was already pretty terrible. But 69% in an hour and a half with the screen off it a nightmare.
Thanks!
These were taken after rebooting and charging for a while.
Capture+_2018-04-26-09-19-34.png.jpg
Capture+_2018-04-26-09-19-50.png.jpg

Last edited:

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Is this where you pulled the battery and inserted it again, showing an 18% drop while OUTSIDE of the phone?

If so, then replace the battery ASAP. It likely has an internal short. This would account for the drop and excessive heat, and can potentially be dangerous. If it gets worse, it could cause the battery to catch fire. If you have another battery, use it until you get this one replaced.

As for what to do with this one? Ideally, you'd want to put it in a fire resistant container and seek out a way to discharge it to 0V. Note that your phone will not do this. It will shut off while the battery still has some charge left in it. There are DIY ways of fully discharging around online. Some safe, and some dangerous (I.e. Driving a nail through it), but don't use the salt water method (it just corrodes the terminals, leading to a false zero voltage reading). If you can't do it yourself, then seek out a place that can. Don't just drop it into a random battery recycling bin because of the fire danger.

Attachments

• tapatalk_1524755016862.png
    tapatalk_1524755016862.png
    106.1 KB · Views: 102

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Anyone else having issues with their phones? I charged mine this morning, went 2 miles to work and I noticed my pocket was hot. I took my v20 out of my pocket and the screen was on, the battery had dropped to 94%. Turned it off and set it on my desk, the battery was at 94%. I checked on it an hour later, still blistering hot, 49%. Popped out the battery, let everything cool down, put it back together, 31%.
The battery drain on this thing was already pretty terrible. But 69% in an hour and a half with the screen off it a nightmare.
Thanks!
These were taken after rebooting and charging for a while.
View attachment 283330
View attachment 283331

Looks like Google Play is either updating apps automatically through Wi-Fi (which explains the hot temperature and battery drain) and or Outlook is syncing emails too often. Turn off sync, turn off Google Play automatic updates, turn off Wi-Fi when not using it.

Jon Sewald

Jan 20, 2015
Visit site
It is the original battery. I bought the phone new at launch. I just put a replacement battery in and it seems like it's doing the same thing.
It seems unlikely that it would be outlook or google play, as a mail sync takes a few seconds and updating apps a few minutes, but who knows. I just booted into safe mode to see if that makes a difference, but it seems like it's still running pretty hot.
If all else fails, I'm going to backup my data and do a factory restore. Otherwise it might be the end of my v20.

dlcpa

Nov 18, 2009
Visit site
location services and a bright screen kills batteries, makes the phone hot and that haet does a job on the things in the motherboard. My opinion.

haw1144

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
this happens once in awhile for me. i attribute it some app i have running. after i do a reboot it seems to work fine again. then maybe a month or 2 later it might happen again.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
this happens once in awhile for me. i attribute it some app i have running. after i do a reboot it seems to work fine again. then maybe a month or 2 later it might happen again.
It's impossible for an app to draw this much power from your phone. I've ran a few apps in the past designed to stress test the phone by running the processor at full speed, and battery drain was on par with gaming. Batteries are not even designed to release this much energy in such a short time.

nickdaman

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
I've been having a similar issue but the android OS says its using 48% and it will just randomly just restart and then just pulls all sorts of power to find a dead phone I have switched to 3 different batteries with the same results. I backed up and did a factory reset without apps and it worked ok for a few days then the massive battery drains returned with a laggy and freezing screen trying to get into the phone and then the bluetooth started to go on and off with the phone.

Also 2 months back it started not being able to use a low powered charger and would only fast charge or a high amp charger so I haven't had any water damage so I think my V20 may be dying and I've only had it 15 months.

tickerguy

Nov 4, 2016
Visit site
This is PROBABLY an App that is using GooglePlay services and hammering on it because you denied it a permission it wants (e.g. location.) The drain gets charged to Google Play because that's the routine being run, but the cause of it isn't Google -- it's a rogue app that is hosing you.

Find the bad app and banish it, plus shame it to all your friends. The vendors who write this sort of trash BADLY need to have this sort of garbage tactic blow up in their face and be put out of business; they're trying to spy on you, in short.

Trend23

Mar 19, 2018
Visit site
im currently having the same issue i usually keep location and sync off sometimes I turn up the brightness usually keep it off i got this off eBay it gets hot then cools down

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463