Are you getting the G7?

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
V20 users, are you stubbornly keeping your V20 or will you get the G7? The V20 is still a great device, it hasn't aged at all. I don't take selfies that much so I don't really care for an HD selfie cam (new reports says people dislike the high definition selfie, it shows too much detail). The V30 camera wasn't really all that good in comparison to the V20, the G7 might not be much different (maybe even the same camera?) Battery size is smaller on the G7 (though it's okay cause they have a more efficient processor). Kinda disappointed the wide angle lenses on the front and back of the G7 has a shorter field of view.. I really enjoy the V20's super wide front selfie a lot. The G7 does offer enough new features to get you to switch (BoomBox sound, new low-light auto feature, portrait modes) but would you get it? I'd still prefer the G7 over all the other flagships right now, it still has the most and best features while other phone don't really have anything special about them.

vasekvi

May 5, 2013
Visit site
V20 users, are you stubbornly keeping your V20 or will you get the G7? The V20 is still a great device, it hasn't aged at all. I don't take selfies that much so I don't really care for an HD selfie cam (new reports says people dislike the high definition selfie, it shows too much detail). The V30 camera wasn't really all that good in comparison to the V20, the G7 might not be much different (maybe even the same camera?) Battery size is smaller on the G7 (though it's okay cause they have a more efficient processor). Kinda disappointed the wide angle lenses on the front and back of the G7 has a shorter field of view.. I really enjoy the V20's super wide front selfie a lot. The G7 does offer enough new features to get you to switch (BoomBox sound, new low-light auto feature, portrait modes) but would you get it? I'd still prefer the G7 over all the other flagships right now, it still has the most and best features while other phone don't really have anything special about them.

V30 camera is much better in low light than V20. V30 also has concert mode audio recording which can take all the loud music any concert can throw at you without clipping, which is a drastic improvement over the V10 and V20 and G6, even using manual adjustments for gain and low cut filter.

If the G7 carries over the earpiece as mic concert recording and shoots 4k video at 60fps I will upgrade the Fiancée's G6.

My V20 gets lag very shortly after a factory reset. Somewhat disappointing. And battery life sucks especially now when I compare to my V30.

The front camera on G7 will be MUCH better than any of these phones. Also of note, the other phones do not get manual audio controls when shooting video with front camera, so there is no way to adjust the mic settings, which means alot of distortion in loud environments. The V30 doesn't have manual controls either front FFC video but at least still goes into concert mode and does not distort the audio at all.

Finally, on AT&T I may not be able to get a G7 for the Fiancée, so we may have to either buy unlocked or see what else LG has in store.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site

If I were in the mood to buy an LG I would not get the G7. I would wait for the next model in the V Series.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
V30 camera is much better in low light than V20. V30 also has concert mode audio recording which can take all the loud music any concert can throw at you without clipping, which is a drastic improvement over the V10 and V20 and G6, even using manual adjustments for gain and low cut filter.

If the G7 carries over the earpiece as mic concert recording and shoots 4k video at 60fps I will upgrade the Fiancée's G6.

My V20 gets lag very shortly after a factory reset. Somewhat disappointing. And battery life sucks especially now when I compare to my V30.

The front camera on G7 will be MUCH better than any of these phones. Also of note, the other phones do not get manual audio controls when shooting video with front camera, so there is no way to adjust the mic settings, which means alot of distortion in loud environments. The V30 doesn't have manual controls either front FFC video but at least still goes into concert mode and does not distort the audio at all.

Finally, on AT&T I may not be able to get a G7 for the Fiancée, so we may have to either buy unlocked or see what else LG has in store.

The V20 does an amazing job for concert audio thanks to the mics (comparing to a Samsung, forget about it, all you'll hear is muffled sounds). There was nothing crazy significantly great about the V30 except for the new "sexy" glass design.

OLD_HATCH

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site

Try the V30 launcher on the V20. It helps the UI lag some.

You can also try setting animations to half speed too.

vasekvi

May 5, 2013
Visit site
I dunno. The V20 works just fine for me.
View attachment 284016
V20 is great don't get me wrong and that's an amazing picture. But you'll see what I mean when you get your hands on a V30 and spend some time with it.

V30 also doesn't have that stutter or freeze in video when switching between cameras
Try the V30 launcher on the V20. It helps the UI lag some.

You can also try setting animations to half speed too.
Yeah a good phone shouldn't have to fiddle with the animation speed. With the V10 I knew I was getting a phone that didn't have the best processor at the time, but I still feel like it may have been less buggy (before it bootlooped) . V20 should have run better. Lent it to my SO when her G6 was sent in for repair and it was fresh factory reset and it still acted up.

vasekvi

May 5, 2013
Visit site
The V20 does an amazing job for concert audio thanks to the mics (comparing to a Samsung, forget about it, all you'll hear is muffled sounds). There was nothing crazy significantly great about the V30 except for the new "sexy" glass design.
V30 you don't even have to touch the manual audio controls. I'll share a couple comparison videos for you to see and hear later. Get your headphones ready.
afbba04e2949ed5836ced9b66493d221.jpg

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
V20 is great don't get me wrong and that's an amazing picture. But you'll see what I mean when you get your hands on a V30 and spend some time with it.

No worries. I just had to poke a little fun since I do a lot of low light work. It's all about knowing your equipment and its limits.

Yeah a good phone shouldn't have to fiddle with the animation speed.
This one always irks me. The animations are set to last a certain length of time, and the speed is just a user preference. Yet so many people equate it to lag. Speeding the animations up reduces lag just like hitting fast forward on a movie reduces the lag of normal playback speed. Lol

datum9

May 30, 2013
Visit site
No G7. Too many deal-breakers with it.

18.9 ratio, no removable battery, the cost of it. I could live with everything else but the battery.

I don't see anything that replaces V20 thus far.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
No G7. Too many deal-breakers with it.

18.9 ratio, no removable battery, the cost of it. I could live with everything else but the battery.

I don't see anything that replaces V20 thus far.

Yeah same here. The V20 is really good already, incredibly thin yet still durable. The removable battery will make the phone last many years to come since you can easily swap the batteries. The battery life is not actually that bad, this is the most battery efficient phone I've ever used (thanks to Android Nougat and LG's optimized OS), standby time is phenomenal. If you know how to optimize your Android phone (I've told everyone before in a previous post about battery saving) you can get the best out of the V20's battery. This phone defeated a Galaxy S7 Active which had a 5.1' AMOLED screen, 4000mAh battery, and same Snapdragon 820 with 4GB RAM.. very disappointing with Samsung, battery life was inconsistent, charging time was very slow (Samsung STILL uses Quick Charge 2.0) and I was not confident with the battery lasting. Enable power saving mode on the V20 and setting it to "always", you'll stretch the battery life on the V20. I have a theory that AMOLED panels eat up more battery than IPS LCD, it draws much more power when displaying white pixels, just speaking from experience.

Screenshot_2018-05-20-07-28-54.jpg
Screenshot_2018-05-20-07-29-00.jpgScreenshot_2018-05-20-07-29-06.jpg