USB port malfunction bug

ansa82

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
So I thought I was having a charging issue (USB menu keeps popping up) but upon researching this on Google it seems to be a bug on a couple of LG phones. I've tried a few of the troubleshooting steps but so far nothing is working for me. Here is what happens...when plugging in or unplugging a USB menu pops up (attached).... I click the option to just charge this phone but the notification keeps popping up. The frustrating part is the notification noise every hour or so all night long while trying to sleep. Also it randomly responds or doesn't to various charging cords now. Just wondering as a last ditch before I try a factory reset (which people say unfortunately doesn't work either) if anyone here has experienced this? I think I'm gonna have to get a replacement but am not happy with the thought of a old refurbished phone when mine has actually been perfect until now.

Attachments

• 264557.jpg
    264557.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 57

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
It sounds like there's a loose connection related to the port. Can you reproduce the problem if you jiggle the USB cable where it plugs into the phone?

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
So I thought I was having a charging issue (USB menu keeps popping up) but upon researching this on Google it seems to be a bug on a couple of LG phones. I've tried a few of the troubleshooting steps but so far nothing is working for me. Here is what happens...when plugging in or unplugging a USB menu pops up (attached).... I click the option to just charge this phone but the notification keeps popping up. The frustrating part is the notification noise every hour or so all night long while trying to sleep. Also it randomly responds or doesn't to various charging cords now. Just wondering as a last ditch before I try a factory reset (which people say unfortunately doesn't work either) if anyone here has experienced this? I think I'm gonna have to get a replacement but am not happy with the thought of a old refurbished phone when mine has actually been perfect until now.

Try cleaning the USB port with a soft Q-Tip. Often times, a build up of dirt will clog up the ports, speakers, and microphone. It's worth a shot. Maybe try a different USB cable, probably the phone thinks you're connecting to a laptop or PC because only that menu pops up when connected to a PC, with wall charger no menu will show up (except normal/fast charging notification). How are you charging your phone? What charging block? Is it the original charger?

Maybe consider an external charger instead of getting a used refurbished phone, much more convenient too. That's how I normally charge my phone. I think they still have it on Amazon. I normally just charge it overnight or when I leave for work, by the time I get back, it's ready to go, no need to wait. Be glad you have options with the removable battery.

ansa82

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
Try cleaning the USB port with a soft Q-Tip. Often times, a build up of dirt will clog up the ports, speakers, and microphone. It's worth a shot. Maybe try a different USB cable, probably the phone thinks you're connecting to a laptop or PC because only that menu pops up when connected to a PC, with wall charger no menu will show up (except normal/fast charging notification). How are you charging your phone? What charging block? Is it the original charger?

Maybe consider an external charger instead of getting a used refurbished phone, much more convenient too. That's how I normally charge my phone. I think they still have it on Amazon. I normally just charge it overnight or when I leave for work, by the time I get back, it's ready to go, no need to wait. Be glad you have options with the removable battery.

Yes this is the original charger. I've never plugged it into a USB ever. By external charger do you mean wireless? I didn't think the V20 would wirelessly charge? I've thoroughly cleaned the charging port. Didn't work. The most annoying thing is the audible notification all night long every hour or so alerting me to the usb menu

ansa82

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
It sounds like there's a loose connection related to the port. Can you reproduce the problem if you jiggle the USB cable where it plugs into the phone?

Nope. I tried but nothing. The port is secure. Its usually after ive unplugged it that I get the usb menu pop up or afterwards for hours. Usually the only thing that stops it for a while is swapping out the battery...odd no idea on why. I can keep my batteries charged up, just swap and sometimes not get the notification. It's when I plug it in to charge (original charger and generic) that I get issues

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Yes this is the original charger. I've never plugged it into a USB ever. By external charger do you mean wireless? I didn't think the V20 would wirelessly charge? I've thoroughly cleaned the charging port. Didn't work. The most annoying thing is the audible notification all night long every hour or so alerting me to the usb menu

No it's not wireless charging. It's the same concept as rechargable AA batteries, you take the battery out and charge it externally with an external charger. Keeps the phone cooler and battery temps low to prolong the life of the battery (fast charging can reduce the longevity), plus more convenient.

This is the authentic LG charging cradle:

20180523_113207.jpg20180523_113200.jpg

Maybe try a different USB cable? Last resort is a full factory reset and clearing the cache (Android recovery menu).

ansa82

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
No it's not wireless charging. It's the same concept as rechargable AA batteries, you take the battery out and charge it externally with an external charger. Keeps the phone cooler and battery temps low to prolong the life of the battery (fast charging can reduce the longevity), plus more convenient.

View attachment 284539View attachment 284540

Maybe try a different USB cable? Last resort is a full factory reset and clearing the cache (Android recovery menu).

Oh yep duh that's exactly what I've been doing. Unfortunately still get the notification at random times. Usually rebooting the phone makes it go away just to come back half hour later

ansa82

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site

View attachment 284539View attachment 284540

Yeah I'm gonna have to try the factory reset tomorrow.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
update, I think the factory reset may have fixed the problem...at least so far

Seems like the case. Everyone "factory resets" their Windows computer annually because of issues.. sometimes updates can cause some corruption and malfunction, or installing 3rd party apps does it too. Keep your phone clutter free and uninstall useless apps.

ansa82

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
Seems like the case. Everyone "factory resets" their Windows computer annually because of issues.. sometimes updates can cause some corruption and malfunction, or installing 3rd party apps does it too. Keep your phone clutter free and uninstall useless apps.

Today it started giving me the usb notifications again 😣. Not even plugged in...I'm having to get a replacement. Verizon saying this is a known issue with LG phones...bummer

tickerguy

Nov 4, 2016
Visit site
USB-Type C connectors are subject to getting small amounts of trash in the fixed-end of the connector (on the device) that interrupts connections. Use some canned air on the socket end (on the phone) and it may clear the problem. At the same time blow out your cable end (the slot in the cable end.)

You're far more likely to have this happen with Type-C connectors than the previous styles due to how they're designed but on the other hand the micro-USB ports were a LOT more fragile, so I'll take the trade-off.

ansa82

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
USB-Type C connectors are subject to getting small amounts of trash in the fixed-end of the connector (on the device) that interrupts connections. Use some canned air on the socket end (on the phone) and it may clear the problem. At the same time blow out your cable end (the slot in the cable end.)

You're far more likely to have this happen with Type-C connectors than the previous styles due to how they're designed but on the other hand the micro-USB ports were a LOT more fragile, so I'll take the trade-off.

Canned air was blown...many things were tried, in the end even if it WASN'T charging I was getting notifications many times daily and all night long to choose a USB charging option which made no sense. Tried a factory reset but that didn't help. Got a replacement device from Verizon yesterday and all is back to normal again. Verizon is aware this is an issue with LG phones.

tickerguy

Nov 4, 2016
Visit site
Odds are the root cause is a short in the connector due to debris in the socket. I doubt very much that it's LG-specific.

ansa82

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
Odds are the root cause is a short in the connector due to debris in the socket. I doubt very much that it's LG-specific.

Regardless of cause be it defect or microscopic invisible dust, the matter is now resolved with the replacement. Verizon was great about it.
Thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
scout13fox