Often have to reboot to get max WiFi

dlcpa

Nov 18, 2009
Visit site
Is anyone else finding this with the v20. Sometimes I just know it's slow and I do a Speedtest and it's 40 megabytes per second. And 6 on the upload. Then I reboot and it goes to 180 megabytes per second on the download and 12 on the upload. What's causing it to slow down?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Unless you do about 10 tests and average the speeds, you're not getting anything meaningful. The speed isn't some fixed value, it varies depending on the traffic on the path. (It's like measuring the speed on a road. At 3 in the morning, it's probably above the speed limit, but at 8:30 in the morning, some roadways slow down to 5mph or less. Measuring it once doesn't tell you much.)

Data shaping by the carrier may also have something to do with it, but I wouldn't make the accusation even if I knew your carrier.

But do 10 speed tests, then average the upload speeds and the download speeds. Then reboot and do the same thing.

A single speed test is good for one thing - finding problems. If you have a 180nbps download and a 0.12mbps upload on Wifi, your router is probably overheating. If you pay for 50mbps service and you're consistently getting less than 2mbps downloads, it's either your router or some part of the connection between your ISP and your house.

But one speed test that gives you more speed than, say, a download from a server on the opposite coast? It doesn't tell you much.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cloudsofmana