Happy to find a V20 almost NIB

snowmutt

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
So as everyone else begins to leave the V20, I am just jumping to it. Been looking for an inexpensive replacement for my Moto X Pure for a while, and while I flirted with some mid-range devices and the last few years of flagships (LG G6, Galaxy S8 Active, few others), I kept coming back to the V20. Don't care how old it is, it has nearly everything I want in a phone. A audio jack for some really nice headphones with a DAC none the less, an IR blaster (I love those things), a quick dependable camera which I need as I am not very good with photography, and a removable battery. Nearly every phone that has died on me is because of a bad battery.

A little patience was needed, but found a very respected seller on eBay (99% rated) that had New "other". After emailing, was told they were all floor models or 14 day returned devices with all original everything. Got a link for one of the 14 day returned devices, and 214.00 dollars later it is on the way. Sprung for the one year Square trade insurance for piece of mind. Have a UAG case and screen protectors that were referred by one of the threads on here on the way.

Figures as everyone leaves, I just get here. Kind of excited. Been a LONG time since I had anything close to a Hero's device, and a very long time since it had most of what I want. Figure if it lasts me to 2019, I win. Any longer is a bonus. Been coming the forums for how to set it up and get the most out of it. Kind of fun, a "new to me" device, ya know?

kal_el_5011

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
So as everyone else begins to leave the V20, I am just jumping to it. Been looking for an inexpensive replacement for my Moto X Pure for a while, and while I flirted with some mid-range devices and the last few years of flagships (LG G6, Galaxy S8 Active, few others), I kept coming back to the V20. Don't care how old it is, it has nearly everything I want in a phone. A audio jack for some really nice headphones with a DAC none the less, an IR blaster (I love those things), a quick dependable camera which I need as I am not very good with photography, and a removable battery. Nearly every phone that has died on me is because of a bad battery.

A little patience was needed, but found a very respected seller on eBay (99% rated) that had New "other". After emailing, was told they were all floor models or 14 day returned devices with all original everything. Got a link for one of the 14 day returned devices, and 214.00 dollars later it is on the way. Sprung for the one year Square trade insurance for piece of mind. Have a UAG case and screen protectors that were referred by one of the threads on here on the way.

Figures as everyone leaves, I just get here. Kind of excited. Been a LONG time since I had anything close to a Hero's device, and a very long time since it had most of what I want. Figure if it lasts me to 2019, I win. Any longer is a bonus. Been coming the forums for how to set it up and get the most out of it. Kind of fun, a "new to me" device, ya know?
I ended up paying for nova prime to put on my v20 and will likely stick with it for future phones. But it is a great of a phone and will be sad when I upgrade.

MSFTisMIA

Jul 11, 2014
Visit site
Hey snowmutt! What's new?

Laura did the same upgrade last year, going from the X Pure to the V20. She enjoys hers. I also owned a V20 last year too and really liked it. Because of that experience (with the DAC) I'm looking to get a V35 or G7.

I still miss the IR blaster and removalable battery. It's still a solid phone. Let's see how you feel about Oreo.

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Congratulations! I'm still using and still loving my V20. I opted for it, since I wanted a removable battery after my MXPE died. I was lucky enough to find the official battery charging kit with a spare battery last year, so I have that. I don't see those any longer.

RaRa85

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
Congrats. Its definitely a solid phone with older features newer phones have left behind. I'm just waiting for the V40 now.

Greedog

Aug 29, 2016
Visit site

I think you've made a wise decision. I've said it before and I'll say it again. No one does phone audio like LG. It's one of my main reasons for the purchase (a month ago). Some of the other reasons you've already mentioned.
It's almost two years old now and still has most of what I want. More so than newer devices. I like a removable battery even though a phone will never be resistant to the elements with it. I believe it's more convenient to have a phone I can swap the battery out of. (I have a G5 as well)
It's an awesome phone so enjoy it and most of your money staying in your pocket.

snowmutt

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
Laura, been meaning to say it is great you are still on the forums and still active as a moderator! I think it is beyond fun that you did the WP/Mot Pure/V20 route. Kind of sets my mind at ease that I am following in your footsteps. How have you been?

snowmutt

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
Hey snowmutt! What's new?

Laura did the same upgrade last year, going from the X Pure to the V20. She enjoys hers. I also owned a V20 last year too and really liked it. Because of that experience (with the DAC) I'm looking to get a V35 or G7.

I still miss the IR blaster and removalable battery. It's still a solid phone. Let's see how you feel about Oreo.

MIA, it is also FANTASTIC you are around. I have really missed the camaraderie of the WP Central crew. I actually feel a little more at home on here now.

I am all good, screwing up in the most amusing ways possible. Hope all is good in your world. Which way you leaning, the V35 or G7? I actually really like the G7. The acoustic where it amplifies sitting on an object may be the coolest thing a phone has done since the slide out keyboard. It is really fun. I also am crazy enough to like LCD screens better than OLED. Not sure why, just like the clean presentation better. But their seems to be a little more to like on the V35 (6 GB RAM, slightly bigger battery). Not a whole lot else separates them (unless you are pro notch or anti notch).

snowmutt

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
I appreciate it, greedog. Been reading a lot of your posts around here. Think you have a very level head and are fun to keep track of.

snowmutt

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
Congrats. Its definitely a solid phone with older features newer phones have left behind. I'm just waiting for the V40 now.

Not a rumor to be had yet on it. With all the V30/35 variants out there and the G7 just landing a few weeks back, LG seems to not be in a hurry.

snowmutt

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
I ended up paying for nova prime to put on my v20 and will likely stick with it for future phones. But it is a great of a phone and will be sad when I upgrade.

You looking to upgrade this cycle, or just when the mood hits ya? Always find it fun to see when people leave behind a device they like and why.

MSFTisMIA

Jul 11, 2014
Visit site
MIA, it is also FANTASTIC you are around. I have really missed the camaraderie of the WP Central crew. I actually feel a little more at home on here now.

I am all good, screwing up in the most amusing ways possible. Hope all is good in your world. Which way you leaning, the V35 or G7? I actually really like the G7. The acoustic where it amplifies sitting on an object may be the coolest thing a phone has done since the slide out keyboard. It is really fun. I also am crazy enough to like LCD screens better than OLED. Not sure why, just like the clean presentation better. But their seems to be a little more to like on the V35 (6 GB RAM, slightly bigger battery). Not a whole lot else separates them (unless you are pro notch or anti notch).
I've still got one foot in the old stomping grounds at "WP Central" too (I own a 950XL as a collector piece).

The only reasons why I sold my V20 were LG's horrible treatment software wise of their US unlocked units, the battery life was so-so (even though I had the spare battery) and I wanted something a bit more compact. I used an Essential phone and currently sport both a Mi Mix 2 and Pixel 2.

Still, I agree - nobody does audio like LG (HTC is a solid second place). I would rather get the V35 as I like that design better, but since the G7 is cheaper to get I may go that route. Still not sure yet...

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site

I agree with most of your reasons for wanting the V20, however it is not known for it's quick camera or for great results in auto. The manual controls are great if you know how to use them. If you want great results in auto download the Pixel camera software that's been modded to work with other cameras. You need two different apps since it has two rear cameras but first try out the V20 to see if the results are good enough for you.

kal_el_5011

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
You looking to upgrade this cycle, or just when the mood hits ya? Always find it fun to see when people leave behind a device they like and why.
I usually upgrade on two reasons. Not in any order but if, one, there's just too great of a deal, then I'll upgrade. Or the other, is when I realize performance has degraded so bad I need an upgrade to get past the performance issues in my networks. Make sense?

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Laura, been meaning to say it is great you are still on the forums and still active as a moderator! I think it is beyond fun that you did the WP/Mot Pure/V20 route. Kind of sets my mind at ease that I am following in your footsteps. How have you been?
I'm doing well, thanks. How are you? Nice to see you here.

I'm very happy with my V20 after having it for 10 months now. I hope you'll like it as much as I do.

snowmutt

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
I usually upgrade on two reasons. Not in any order but if, one, there's just too great of a deal, then I'll upgrade. Or the other, is when I realize performance has degraded so bad I need an upgrade to get past the performance issues in my networks. Make sense?

You mean not because it isn't shiny anymore?? :p

Best reasons to upgrade. Only real reasons.

snowmutt

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
I've still got one foot in the old stomping grounds at "WP Central" too (I own a 950XL as a collector piece).

The only reasons why I sold my V20 were LG's horrible treatment software wise of their US unlocked units, the battery life was so-so (even though I had the spare battery) and I wanted something a bit more compact. I used an Essential phone and currently sport both a Mi Mix 2 and Pixel 2.

Still, I agree - nobody does audio like LG (HTC is a solid second place). I would rather get the V35 as I like that design better, but since the G7 is cheaper to get I may go that route. Still not sure yet...

I am getting back on Windows Central some, but as phones are a bit of a dead issue (still miss WP) it is only here and there.

I do intend on picking up one of the W10 devices just for the heck of it when I come across one cheap. Like you, kind of just for a hobby phone. Been using my 640 for a couple months now. Been actually fun using WP8 again.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
What a fantastic story to read! I'm so glad you found the V20! It's an amazing phone and you got it for a great deal! Let us know when you get it, and how you are liking it! Enjoy!

MSFTisMIA

Jul 11, 2014
Visit site
I am getting back on Windows Central some, but as phones are a bit of a dead issue (still miss WP) it is only here and there.

I do intend on picking up one of the W10 devices just for the heck of it when I come across one cheap. Like you, kind of just for a hobby phone. Been using my 640 for a couple months now. Been actually fun using WP8 again.
You sniff around WP Central long enough, you'll find one. The 950XL isn't a favorite device of mine, but it is still quite nice. I picked up one through a member I get along with there and boot it up from time to time. Sometimes I yearn for the Lumia 925 + WP 8.0 days...