03-27-2019 11:41 AM
114 1234 ...
tools
    It's the cost of new phones that suck. When my V20 is toast, I will buy a recent used phone or a pre-paid smart phone. No more $1K or more phones for me.
    Agreed....phones are getting out of hand the when it comes to how much they cost and how fast they devalue
    08-29-2018 09:20 AM
    I was mostly discussing the V20 DAC so I thought I was on topic.
    LDAC is Sony's proprietary CODEC and you can't use it on the V20 unless you have OREO as far I can tell.

As a former sound engineer I've worked with live and studio musicians so I've been around the block a few times when it comes to headphones. I don't agree with Bluetooth sounding as good as wired and you don't have to spend big bucks. Maybe if you are listening to low quality files it's harder to tell the difference but if you listen to higher quality files especially lossless there is a tremendous difference between Bluetooth and wired.
    I totally agree with you saying you don't have to spend big bucks. What I am saying is with your V20 and a decent pair of Bluetooth headphones that use AptX HD and the music encoded at a minimum of 256kbps at 41k/htz you won't hear a big enough difference to justify a wired set of headphones.
    I know. I've done the research.
    Do the wired ones sound better? Maybe a little.
    Go and buy a set of headphones that are made to utilize the phone's technology. Like a set of Tone Infinium HBS 900's made by LG at the very least. I had a set and for wireless headphones they were awesome.
    Don't get me wrong. I would never question your sound experience. It's just that I've probably bought at least thirteen sets of wireless cans since I had those to try and get a good enough sound to match my wired AKG 240's. (Yes, they are older but still awesome.)
    I still use wired headphones from time to time. Always when I'm performing. But for just daily listening I've got the wireless thing to where they sound pretty darn good. Almost as good as my Shure 315's.
    I'll say it one more time...
    No one does smartphone audio like LG. Nobody! At least I've not heard anything better yet.
    If you would like some factual information about sound compression I have some great stuff to read. I could send you a link.
    08-29-2018 02:43 PM
    LDAC is Sony's proprietary CODEC and you can't use it on the V20 unless you have OREO as far I can tell.

As a former sound engineer I've worked with live and studio musicians so I've been around the block a few times when it comes to headphones. I don't agree with Bluetooth sounding as good as wired and you don't have to spend big bucks. Maybe if you are listening to low quality files it's harder to tell the difference but if you listen to higher quality files especially lossless there is a tremendous difference between Bluetooth and wired.
    I totally agree with you saying you don't have to spend big bucks. What I am saying is with your V20 and a decent pair of Bluetooth headphones that use AptX HD and the music encoded at a minimum of 256kbps at 41k/htz you won't hear a big enough difference to justify a wired set of headphones.
    Go and buy a set of headphones that are made to utilize the phone's technology. Like a set of Tone Infinium HBS 900's made by LG at the very least. I had a set and for wireless headphones they were awesome.
    Don't get me wrong. I would never question your sound experience. It's just that I've probably bought at least thirteen sets of wireless cans since I had those to try and get a good enough sound to match my wired AKG 240's. (Yes, they are older but still awesome.)
    I still use wired headphones from time to time. Always when I'm performing. But for just daily listening I've got the wireless thing to where they sound pretty darn good. Almost as good as my Shure 315's.
    No one does smartphone audio like LG. Nobody! At least I've not heard anything better yet.
    If you would like some factual information about sound compression I have some great stuff to read. I could send you a link.
    I added the LG comment to keep the post "on topic".
    08-29-2018 02:46 PM
    Im sure you are aware that the problem with using the V20 with Bluetooth is you're not utilizing the Quad DAC which is what it is heralded for. At that point any phone with AptX or AptX HD will do.

Thanks for the offer but I have all the information on compression I need.
    08-29-2018 02:56 PM

Mike,
    I missed saying one thing. I never said wireless sounded "as good". (I don't think)
    I said it's so much better now with the AptX and AptX HD. The wire is becoming less of a requirement to listen to your favorite tunes and really enjoy it.
    You're so right about the money. The wireless headphones I listen to most of the day only cost me $35.
    08-29-2018 03:06 PM
    Im sure you are aware that the problem with using the V20 with Bluetooth is you're not utilizing the Quad DAC which is what it is heralded for. At that point any phone with AptX or AptX HD will do.

Thanks for the offer but I have all the information on compression I need.
    Yes! I know. But even with my best set of wired cans it's not worth it having to deal with the cable.
    Maybe I'm going deaf.
    08-29-2018 03:13 PM
    I still have my V20 that I let my daughter use to play games on and make movies with. One of the batteries (I have 4) started swelling on the standalone charger. I have a galaxy S4 in the garage running Alfred. Every single battery I pop in that phone swells.

I can only imagine what will happen to my V30 when the battery swells one day. Will my screen spontaneously crack?
    08-29-2018 05:50 PM
    I still have my V20 that I let my daughter use to play games on and make movies with. One of the batteries (I have 4) started swelling on the standalone charger. I have a galaxy S4 in the garage running Alfred. Every single battery I pop in that phone swells.

I can only imagine what will happen to my V30 when the battery swells one day. Will my screen spontaneously crack?
    The only batteries that have swollen on me were those that sat for awhile.
    08-29-2018 06:00 PM
    Yes! I know. But even with my best set of wired cans it's not worth it having to deal with the cable.
    Maybe I'm going deaf.
    I'm fighting hard not to get another set of cans. Bowers and Wilkens PX in gold are looking pretty good to me
    Attached Thumbnails Sprint LG v20 still the best-28476.jpg  
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    08-29-2018 06:02 PM

Yeah I want to try to avoid being judgy but I feel like you're doing something wrong if you're seeing batteries swell at such a huge rate.
    08-29-2018 06:44 PM
    I've got 3 batteries and 1 oem cradle and need to get 1 more new one so if anyone has a link for a good one please post it or pm me..

As to the wired vs Bluetooth.. Hands down wired for the best, but my LG HBS1100 sound frigging awesome and are a whole lot easier to use... Lol

I've seen a lot of folks griping about the camera in this phone but I've been very happy with it and the Google camera.

I'm sure others prefer Apple or Samsung to this phone, but the cost just is a huge turn off to me

Perhaps I'm just getting old, but can anyone explain why all these new phones have to have curved screens and glass backs on them? I mean seriously... Why?

I don't know... Maybe I should rethink the new Poco phone... Atleast I won't have to give up a arm and a leg to get one.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    08-29-2018 06:58 PM
    I've got 3 batteries and 1 oem cradle and need to get 1 more new one so if anyone has a link for a good one please post it or pm me..

As to the wired vs Bluetooth.. Hands down wired for the best, but my LG HBS1100 sound frigging awesome and are a whole lot easier to use... Lol

I've seen a lot of folks griping about the camera in this phone but I've been very happy with it and the Google camera.

I'm sure others prefer Apple or Samsung to this phone, but the cost just is a huge turn off to me

Perhaps I'm just getting old, but can anyone explain why all these new phones have to have curved screens and glass backs on them? I mean seriously... Why?

I don't know... Maybe I should rethink the new Poco phone... Atleast I won't have to give up a arm and a leg to get one.
    I despise the curved edges and glass backs. Totally unwarranted and yet the cry will be....but it feels premium....total bull
    08-29-2018 07:12 PM
    I despise the curved edges and glass backs. Totally unwarranted and yet the cry will be....but it feels premium....total bull
    Agreed and I'm really unhappy that all of the good phones have adopted one or both traits.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    08-29-2018 07:13 PM
    I'm fighting hard not to get another set of cans. Bowers and Wilkens PX in gold are looking pretty good to me
    They do look amazing.
    I got a pair of Dr Dre Beats Solo3 for myself for Christmas. I listened to someone else's and thought they sounded OK. What really sold me was the battery life. I used them wired of course (no AptX support so I could really notice the difference). Here's what they looked like 3 months later. Sprint LG v20 still the best-20180227_121732_hdr.jpg
    08-29-2018 07:26 PM
    Ok so is it OK if I the V20 sat for a while and then the battery swelled?.

As for my S4 batteries that swell, I am attributing the constant heat as the phone is always on as a camera and plugged in to a charger. But still. What happens when this happens with a sealed phone?
    Yeah I want to try to avoid being judgy but I feel like you're doing something wrong if you're seeing batteries swell at such a huge rate.
    ... Doing something wrong? Like using my phone? Sure I know that it's best to put lithium batteries into storage at half charge. But the point is that battery technology has not reached the point where they don't swell. Not good for sealed phones.
    08-29-2018 07:37 PM

As for my S4 batteries that swell, I am attributing the constant heat as the phone is always on as a camera and plugged in to a charger. But still. What happens when this happens with a sealed phone? ... Doing something wrong? Like using my phone? Sure I know that it's best to put lithium batteries into storage at half charge. But the point is that battery technology has not reached the point where they don't swell. Not good for sealed phones.
    Yeah my only points of references are anecdotal. In 6 years in the forums I'm never heard of batteries swelling from normal usage, with the exception of defective batteries, and in the dozens of phones I've owned none have ever swollen, whether removable or not with the exception of the LG G4 - which was defective. So in my limited experience, it is less common for batteries to swell due to normal usage than it is for them to swell due to normal usage. Obviously your experience differs.
    08-29-2018 07:41 PM
    I'm not clear on what you're asking. It's never OK for them to swell. I'm just telling under what circumstances I've experienced it. Doesn't happen all the time when they are sitting stagnate. Defective batteries will also swell after charging. If you're asking me if your V20 is still OK.... Yes it should be.
    08-29-2018 08:17 PM
    They do look amazing.
    I got a pair of Dr Dre Beats Solo3 for myself for Christmas. I listened to someone else's and thought they sounded OK. What really sold me was the battery life. I used them wired of course (no AptX support so I could really notice the difference). Here's what they looked like 3 months later. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180227_121732_hdr.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	159.5 KB 
ID:	289273
    I don't like beats at all aside from what happened to yours. You're not supposed to drive over them.
    I am also looking at a pair of Sony WH1000XM2 but I'm on the fence because there have been reports of the band snapping.
    08-29-2018 08:20 PM
    Thank the gods that LG disagrees with you on this.
    Agreed wholeheartedly!
    08-29-2018 09:49 PM
    I don't like beats at all aside from what happened to yours. You're not supposed to drive over them.
    I am also looking at a pair of Sony WH1000XM2 but I'm on the fence because there have been reports of the band snapping.
    I use old school Sony MDR7506 wired headphones.
    08-30-2018 12:19 AM
    I use old school Sony MDR7506 wired headphones.
    The MDR 7506 are workhorses, those headphones will last forever lol.

I had mine for 8 years before I put them down. (They got a short in the wire) I've been looking on eBay to snatch up another pair.

I've been using the Sony MDR V700
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    08-30-2018 08:52 AM
    Yeah my only points of references are anecdotal. In 6 years in the forums I'm never heard of batteries swelling from normal usage, with the exception of defective batteries, and in the dozens of phones I've owned none have ever swollen, whether removable or not with the exception of the LG G4 - which was defective. So in my limited experience, it is less common for batteries to swell due to normal usage than it is for them to swell due to normal usage. Obviously your experience differs.
    My friend's iPhone 5 from 2012 swelled up and it pushed the screen up off the body a little bit. This is from daily usage for 6 years straight. I've seen this happen on a Samsung too. The thing is technology has gotten better and USB C probably helps reduce that likelihood. Some battery swells due to abnormal use...I used to work at Best Buy and I can't tell you how many times I've seen swelled up batteries (back then when phones had removable batteries). These people probably leave it charged by the window where it's super hot from the sunlight, use cheap brand cables and chargers, or something abnormal like that. Take the phone off the charger when it's finished, don't leave it charging when it's full.

BTW my Samsung laptop from 2013 has a sealed battery and the bottom plastic is starting to warp and bulge out where the battery is located. Man, imagine if it was completely metal.. probably would explode... (Wait, didn't that happen with the Note 7? Battery fitted too tightly and exploded when it expanded)
    08-30-2018 10:01 AM
    This is from daily usage for 6 years straight.
    That's extremely abnormal use lol; the 2012 Li-on batteries use in iPhones are in no way intended to go through 2000-3000 charge cycles. While the technology has improved since then, the standard estimation of safe usage is still the earlier of 400-500 charge cycles or a three year period. The time frame is included as a factor because the batteries age, even if they aren't being used and shed voltage. Your friend is over double the time-frame and 4 to 6 times the charge cycle expectancy.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    08-30-2018 10:22 AM

Exactly. The Google camera is satisfactory.. pictures look good enough. Wired is just more convenient and with the DAC it sounds much better.. I think the obvious choice is people prefer the wired audio cables, they're only using Bluetooth now because they were "forced" to. Can't tell you how many times I've seen the "dongle" on trains, hooked up to earphones. The only people using the goofy AirPods are tech yuppies. Steve Jobs invented the iPod with a headphone jack.. the day they release an iPod without a headphone jack is the most disappointing day for Apple... As for the glass and curved phones, it's proven unsuccessful.. just look at how HTC is struggling with sales from their new gen shiney glass flagships... Guess they are too stubborn to listen to people.. people DON'T CARE about how shiney the back looks or the squeeze feature.. plus no headphone jack is reflected in the number of sales. Samsung makes more money selling iPhone parts than their own (funny thing, Samsung employees still prefer using Apple). Only Apple and Google are both powerful enough to remove the headphone jack and not suffer consequences. I too am eyeballing the Pocophone F1.. the prices for flagships are getting out of hand. A guy actually did research on the actual cost of Smartphones, it's around $250 each. They profit from selling it for $1000, then drop the price 1/2 off a year later. When they have a "sale", people THINK they are getting an awesome deal because the $1000 price tag is slashed off.. when in reality, it's a fake tactic to boost sales by weekly cycling prices for each device to help sell. CARRIERS no longer have "contracts" but come on now, there's still subsidy in the phone... You pay a lower price upfront but how they get you is the post-paid monthly cost of $80-100 per line.. a trade-off for a discounted flagship phone for $300. The annual upgrade deal is how they tempt you to stay with them, it's a lure and a trap.

https://www.techwalls.com/production...f-smartphones/
    08-30-2018 10:24 AM
    Someone please tell me about this. Is it a side loaded app I can install to my V20? Does it support all the cameras?
    08-30-2018 10:33 AM
114 1234 ...