Sprint LG v20 still the best

Itsa_Me_Mario

¯\_(o_o)_/¯
Feb 19, 2018
Visit site
Ok so is it OK if I the V20 sat for a while and then the battery swelled?.

As for my S4 batteries that swell, I am attributing the constant heat as the phone is always on as a camera and plugged in to a charger. But still. What happens when this happens with a sealed phone? ... Doing something wrong? Like using my phone? Sure I know that it's best to put lithium batteries into storage at half charge. But the point is that battery technology has not reached the point where they don't swell. Not good for sealed phones.

Yeah my only points of references are anecdotal. In 6 years in the forums I'm never heard of batteries swelling from normal usage, with the exception of defective batteries, and in the dozens of phones I've owned none have ever swollen, whether removable or not with the exception of the LG G4 - which was defective. So in my limited experience, it is less common for batteries to swell due to normal usage than it is for them to swell due to normal usage. Obviously your experience differs.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Ok so is it OK if I the V20 sat for a while and then the battery swelled?.

I'm not clear on what you're asking. It's never OK for them to swell. I'm just telling under what circumstances I've experienced it. Doesn't happen all the time when they are sitting stagnate. Defective batteries will also swell after charging. If you're asking me if your V20 is still OK.... Yes it should be.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
They do look amazing.
I got a pair of Dr Dre Beats Solo3 for myself for Christmas. I listened to someone else's and thought they sounded OK. What really sold me was the battery life. I used them wired of course (no AptX support so I could really notice the difference). Here's what they looked like 3 months later. View attachment 289273

I don't like beats at all aside from what happened to yours. You're not supposed to drive over them.
I am also looking at a pair of Sony WH1000XM2 but I'm on the fence because there have been reports of the band snapping.

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
I don't like beats at all aside from what happened to yours. You're not supposed to drive over them.
I am also looking at a pair of Sony WH1000XM2 but I'm on the fence because there have been reports of the band snapping.
I use old school Sony MDR7506 wired headphones.

jmssarno

Jul 6, 2014
Visit site
I use old school Sony MDR7506 wired headphones.

The MDR 7506 are workhorses, those headphones will last forever lol.

I had mine for 8 years before I put them down. (They got a short in the wire) I've been looking on eBay to snatch up another pair.

I've been using the Sony MDR V700

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Yeah my only points of references are anecdotal. In 6 years in the forums I'm never heard of batteries swelling from normal usage, with the exception of defective batteries, and in the dozens of phones I've owned none have ever swollen, whether removable or not with the exception of the LG G4 - which was defective. So in my limited experience, it is less common for batteries to swell due to normal usage than it is for them to swell due to normal usage. Obviously your experience differs.

My friend's iPhone 5 from 2012 swelled up and it pushed the screen up off the body a little bit. This is from daily usage for 6 years straight. I've seen this happen on a Samsung too. The thing is technology has gotten better and USB C probably helps reduce that likelihood. Some battery swells due to abnormal use...I used to work at Best Buy and I can't tell you how many times I've seen swelled up batteries (back then when phones had removable batteries). These people probably leave it charged by the window where it's super hot from the sunlight, use cheap brand cables and chargers, or something abnormal like that. Take the phone off the charger when it's finished, don't leave it charging when it's full.

BTW my Samsung laptop from 2013 has a sealed battery and the bottom plastic is starting to warp and bulge out where the battery is located. Man, imagine if it was completely metal.. probably would explode... (Wait, didn't that happen with the Note 7? Battery fitted too tightly and exploded when it expanded)

Itsa_Me_Mario

¯\_(o_o)_/¯
Feb 19, 2018
Visit site
This is from daily usage for 6 years straight.

That's extremely abnormal use lol; the 2012 Li-on batteries use in iPhones are in no way intended to go through 2000-3000 charge cycles. While the technology has improved since then, the standard estimation of safe usage is still the earlier of 400-500 charge cycles or a three year period. The time frame is included as a factor because the batteries age, even if they aren't being used and shed voltage. Your friend is over double the time-frame and 4 to 6 times the charge cycle expectancy.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I've got 3 batteries and 1 oem cradle and need to get 1 more new one so if anyone has a link for a good one please post it or pm me..

As to the wired vs Bluetooth.. Hands down wired for the best, but my LG HBS1100 sound frigging awesome and are a whole lot easier to use... Lol

I've seen a lot of folks griping about the camera in this phone but I've been very happy with it and the Google camera.

I'm sure others prefer Apple or Samsung to this phone, but the cost just is a huge turn off to me

Perhaps I'm just getting old, but can anyone explain why all these new phones have to have curved screens and glass backs on them? I mean seriously... Why?

I don't know... Maybe I should rethink the new Poco phone... Atleast I won't have to give up a arm and a leg to get one.

Exactly. The Google camera is satisfactory.. pictures look good enough. Wired is just more convenient and with the DAC it sounds much better.. I think the obvious choice is people prefer the wired audio cables, they're only using Bluetooth now because they were "forced" to. Can't tell you how many times I've seen the "dongle" on trains, hooked up to earphones. The only people using the goofy AirPods are tech yuppies. Steve Jobs invented the iPod with a headphone jack.. the day they release an iPod without a headphone jack is the most disappointing day for Apple... As for the glass and curved phones, it's proven unsuccessful.. just look at how HTC is struggling with sales from their new gen shiney glass flagships... Guess they are too stubborn to listen to people.. people DON'T CARE about how shiney the back looks or the squeeze feature.. plus no headphone jack is reflected in the number of sales. Samsung makes more money selling iPhone parts than their own (funny thing, Samsung employees still prefer using Apple). Only Apple and Google are both powerful enough to remove the headphone jack and not suffer consequences. I too am eyeballing the Pocophone F1.. the prices for flagships are getting out of hand. A guy actually did research on the actual cost of Smartphones, it's around $250 each. They profit from selling it for $1000, then drop the price 1/2 off a year later. When they have a "sale", people THINK they are getting an awesome deal because the $1000 price tag is slashed off.. when in reality, it's a fake tactic to boost sales by weekly cycling prices for each device to help sell. CARRIERS no longer have "contracts" but come on now, there's still subsidy in the phone... You pay a lower price upfront but how they get you is the post-paid monthly cost of $80-100 per line.. a trade-off for a discounted flagship phone for $300. The annual upgrade deal is how they tempt you to stay with them, it's a lure and a trap.

https://www.techwalls.com/production-costs-of-smartphones/

vasekvi

May 5, 2013
Visit site
Someone please tell me about this. Is it a side loaded app I can install to my V20? Does it support all the cameras?
6ca9696867ed770f74b35f0faa4565e8.jpg

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
That's extremely abnormal use lol; the 2012 Li-on batteries use in iPhones are in no way intended to go through 2000-3000 charge cycles. While the technology has improved since then, the standard estimation of safe usage is still the earlier of 400-500 charge cycles or a three year period. The time frame is included as a factor because the batteries age, even if they aren't being used and shed voltage. Your friend is over double the time-frame and 4 to 6 times the charge cycle expectancy.

6 years is abnormal? What about laptops? Those are computers with longer average usage. The Samsung laptop I have is from 2013, it has a sealed battery underneath the plastic bottom shell. Samsung included a feature which stops the charging to 80% to preserve the battery over time, battery is still good but the plastic shell kinda got warped where the battery is. iPads are kept plugged in 24/7 with the HEADPHONE JACK square credit card reader as a replacement for a POS cashier system. Do they throw away the device every few years? I don't think so. I still have an iPhone 4 from 2010, still using it for music. Battery did not swell up or has any problems since it was kept away for a while and not used. I had a Blackberry from 2006 I found in the closet.. still works, no swelling. Batteries can last a very, very long time. The swelling and weak batteries depends on a variety of factors. Funny thing is Apple makes TOP QUALITY hardware and it's LASTING TOO LONG, so they tried to get people to throw it away finally, first with the #batterygate by purposely SLOWING DOWN their device.. now after a huge backlash, they reversed it... instead NOW they made it obsolete by making apps not backwards compatible with older iOS software, forcing people to give up their devices and trash them or collect dust in the drawer (in comparison, Android apps are completely 100% backwards compatible with older OS versions). I wonder where all the obsolete devices end up? Most likely 3rd world countries where children burn and melt them to extract gold (not kidding, look it up yourself). Manufactures are seeing a slowdown in sales and people are keeping their phones longer since phones nowadays are "good enough". If you're an Apple user, good luck. They will implement planned obsolescence eventually after 2 years although the hardware is perfectly fine. I'm suspecting Samsung purposely making some devices last only up to a certain amount of time, especially their TVs by including low quality capacitors which have a limited lifespan. If they made a TV that lasted forever, nobody would need to buy a TV again.

Itsa_Me_Mario

¯\_(o_o)_/¯
Feb 19, 2018
Visit site
A guy actually did research on the actual cost of Smartphones, it's around $250 each. They profit from selling it for $1000, then drop the price 1/2 off a year later. When they have a "sale", people THINK they are getting an awesome deal because the $1000 price tag is slashed off.. when in reality, it's a fake tactic to boost sales by weekly cycling prices for each device to help sell.

https://www.techwalls.com/production-costs-of-smartphones/

The actual cost of smartphones is not around $250. Your link doesn't even say that. Here's the most recent flagships, and base storage options for each:

iPhone X 389.50
iPhone 8+ 295.44
Note 8 369.00 (Note 9 BOM info isn't available yet)
S9+ 379

The average of those is $358.24, not $250.

It also says specifically, "Notice that we don’t take into account other costs like marketing, research and development, distribution, staff or packaging, so the manufacturers wouldn’t earn that much profit from their products." - in the article.

When you produce a number that's 43% wrong, out of context, and use it to make a point that is directly contradicted by your source - that's a good example of why a lot of posts can be considered to be misinformation. This is the third post or yours, in just this thread, where almost every single sentence that you write is either outright false or is intentionally misleading in it's presentation.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Someone please tell me about this. Is it a side loaded app I can install to my V20? Does it support all the cameras? //uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180830/6ca9696867ed770f74b35f0faa4565e8.jpg

Here you go:
(Direct Download Link)
www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=817550096634795524

(Android Central Discussion)
https://forums.androidcentral.com/lg-v20/851805-pixel-2-camera-app-hdr-plus-v20-looks-great.html

It's a modded camera app originally from a developer on XDA, taken from the Pixel 2 camera app. This one is specific for Snapdragon 820 phones like the V20. Looks good with the "post processing" auto enhancement feature.

Share your photos on the forum discussion link above! Let us see your samples and what you think about it!

Itsa_Me_Mario

¯\_(o_o)_/¯
Feb 19, 2018
Visit site
6 years is abnormal?

When the average life cycle of a Li-on battery is 400-500 cycles or three years, whichever comes first, yes - six years is abnormal. If the person is truly using it for daily use, that means they have at least 2000 but probably closer to 3000 charge cycles. That is between 4 and 6 times the average life cycle while also being over double the normal age because six years is double three years.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
The actual cost of smartphones is not around $250. Your link doesn't even say that. Here's the most recent flagships, and base storage options for each:

iPhone X 389.50
iPhone 8+ 295.44
Note 8 369.00 (Note 9 BOM info isn't available yet)
S9+ 379

The average of those is $358.24, not $250.

It also says specifically, "Notice that we don’t take into account other costs like marketing, research and development, distribution, staff or packaging, so the manufacturers wouldn’t earn that much profit from their products." - in the article.

When you produce a number that's 43% wrong, out of context, and use it to make a point that is directly contradicted by your source - that's a good example of why a lot of posts can be considered to be misinformation. This is the third post or yours, in just this thread, where almost every single sentence that you write is either outright false or is intentionally misleading in it's presentation.

"Average" meaning across the number of most common smartphones. The iPhone X is not common and is considered a premium version.

Apple iPhone 8 (64GB) $254.87
Google Pixel XL (32GB) $285.75
Samsung Galaxy S7 (32GB) $255

How is that misleading? These are the actual costs. I used to work for a Taiwanese tech company and know exactly how pricing works. Yes, of course there's costs for marketing, but the point is the actual VALUE of these phones are driven up by the VALUE people place on it... Just like DIAMONDS, they are NOT rare but people think they are, and people place a value on what is basically rocks. Some marketing is actually FREE because of something called PARTNERSHIPS, retailers will work with manufacturers to help push sales, placing them on the front page. The manufacturer creates a false high MSRP price to have LEGROOM to play around with sales and profits, making "sales" appear attractive, especially if one day you walk into the store and the price was $800, next week, you see it is $600, then black Friday it's $300.. but the actual cost is $250 so the manufacturer has WIGGLE ROOM to play around with. The purpose is to MAXIMIZE PROFITS and it takes skillful strategy.

Last edited:

Itsa_Me_Mario

¯\_(o_o)_/¯
Feb 19, 2018
Visit site
Apple iPhone 8 (64GB) $254.87
Google Pixel XL (32GB) $285.75

Pixel XL is a 2016 phone, I included 2017 & 2018 phones, particularly because in 2017 is when we saw the prices of materials skyrocket, which caused the prices of phones to increase. But if you want to include it fine, new average is $343.74.

iPhone 8 is clearly not the flagship when I included both the 8+ and the iPhone X. That's the same reason the S9+ and Note 8 are included, but not the regular S9.

If you want to include the Pixel 2 XL, we'd have to create an estimate. The only fair way to do that is to look at what happened with it's competitors and apply the same scaling.

To do this we find that the iPhone 8+ is 6.4% more expensive to manufacture than the iPhone 7+ and the S9+ is 10.5% more expensive to manufacture than the S8+ and so our expectation for the P2XL would be that it's in that range, between $303.25 and $314.91 with a mean estimate of about $309.08. Doing this with the 2017 to 2018 cost difference on Samsung is MORE fair to your case, because the difference the year prior was 34.5% rather than 10.5%. Because component costs skyrocketed.

If you want to add that to the list instead of the 2016 phone, our average is now $348.40.

Either way, the mean cost of top tier phones in 2017/2018 seams to be between our low estimate of $348.40 and a higher estimate of 358.24. Neither of those numbers are remotely in the range of $250, let alone an average of them - given that every single number available is at least 12% higher than $250, the average logically must be at least 12% higher than $250 and in fact it is at 40% higher than $250.

Let me know if you need all the steps of the math, but it's fairly straight forward.

Itsa_Me_Mario

¯\_(o_o)_/¯
Feb 19, 2018
Visit site
Hopefully this helps to give away the point of what we're talking about:

flagship costs.png

As you can see, the average price of flagships crossed $250 between 2014 and 2015 and is now averaging over $350.

As you can see, the average price of non-flagships crossed $250 between 2016 and 2017 and is now averaging over $281.

There is a problem with the data in that it only includes Samsung and Apple phones, with 1 Google phone. Adding in other OEM's would make the data better, but no matter how we slice it, $250 is not the number and should not ever be repeated as the average BOM. And that still doesn't solve the fact that the BOM is not an all inclusive number, so you cannot calculate margin off of it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol