Sprint LG v20 still the best

MDMcAtee

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
I had to go to Best buy this past weekend to get my wife a new laptop, and decided to take a look at the new phones out.

$1200 for a new Note... Are you frigging kidding me 😱

The rest of the the trip there was dealing with the laptop but everything I looked at was so expensive and boring...

I don't get it either. I mean the prices they are asking is just totally nuts.

Don't get me wrong, the new note has a beautiful screen as do the new iPhones but when you can buy a top of the line laptop for less, something is definitely not right here.

I think LG needs to rethink the v line and really come back out with a true v20 replacement with a removable battery. They could do a carbon fiber back like the new Poco phone, a top end camera, a bigger removable battery, better amps and dac, and true front facing stereo speakers, and a headphone jack, Amoled screen and still be cheaper than the other guys, even with the latest processors and ram in them.

In this day of crazy prices for these glass backed sealed phones, having my v20 is awesome. Sure I am missing out on some things I suppose, but I am happy that I don't have to go broke trying to keep up with the rat race for now.

I know that LG won't go back to the removable battery, but IMHO they are making a huge mistake by not doing so. As good as the other phones are, they don't really compete with the the v20 on several fronts....not at the end of the day. The real nemesis of any phone is the battery and being able to swap out the batteries for a freshly charged one in seconds still rules Supreme.

LG was the leader in this and for whatever reason they refused to capitalize on it.

I am hoping that someone who works there will realize that the vast majority of people don't want to spend $1000 - $1200 on a cell phone irregardless of the opinions of the tech writers.

I would be willing to spend 1k if they upgraded my v20 and kept the removable battery though, then I would know they wanted to keep my business by giving me a phone that I wasn't tethered to a power cord.

My v20 is still awesome and going strong and I would be willing to upgrade it every 2 years for something truly better, but I can honestly say that there really isn't anything truly better that's going to make my life easier and that's what technology is supposed to do for us... Not just cost us more for less...

Mac

Itsa_Me_Mario

¯\_(o_o)_/¯
Feb 19, 2018
Visit site
when you can buy a top of the line laptop for less

You definitely cannot buy a top of the line laptop for less than $1200. You can get some really great midrangers, but "top of the line" laptops start in the $1800+ range with the exception of ChromeOS, which is $1650 MSRP.

I think LG needs to rethink the v line and really come back out with a true v20 replacement with a removable battery. They could do a carbon fiber back like the new Poco phone, a top end camera, a bigger removable battery, better amps and dac, and true front facing stereo speakers, and a headphone jack, Amoled screen and still be cheaper than the other guys, even with the latest processors and ram in them.

Thank the gods that LG disagrees with you on this. But just curious, how do you think that LG can out-spec Samsung, for cheaper, while throwing in a bunch of fail features that most consumers don't want?

Anthow68

Apr 8, 2015
Visit site
Judging by the tons of phones that both Apple and Samsung sell, I would venture to say that the "vast majority of people" don't agree with you.

Don't get me wrong, I like my V20 but this whole removable battery argument is getting tired.

MDMcAtee

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
You definitely cannot buy a top of the line laptop for less than $1200. You can get some really great midrangers, but "top of the line" laptops start in the $1800+ range with the exception of ChromeOS, which is $1650 MSRP.

Thank the gods that LG disagrees with you on this. But just curious, how do you think that LG can out-spec Samsung, for cheaper, while throwing in a bunch of fail features that most consumers don't want?

Sure you can buy a top of the line laptop under 1k.. Go to Best buy and look at them. I just did. I got a HP on sale and spent way less. Even the mid rangers are on sale and they do more for less.

Fail features most people don't want... Yea right. Most people here will disagree with this notion,especially the removable battery.

Mac

How can LG do this.. really simple actually especially since they don't spend millions of dollars on advertising, nor do they have the overhead.

MDMcAtee

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
Judging by the tons of phones that both Apple and Samsung sell, I would venture to say that the "vast majority of people" don't agree with you.

Don't get me wrong, I like my V20 but this whole removable battery argument is getting tired.

Sorry..

Itsa_Me_Mario

¯\_(o_o)_/¯
Feb 19, 2018
Visit site
Sure you can buy a top of the line laptop under 1k.. Go to Best buy and look at them. I just did. I got a HP on sale and spent way less. Even the mid rangers are on sale and they do more for less.

Fail features most people don't want... Yea right. Most people here will disagree with this notion,especially the removable battery.

Mac

How can LG do this.. really simple actually especially since they don't spend millions of dollars on advertising, nor do they have the overhead.

I'm on BestBuy's website right now. I think we may have a differing definition of "high end" because I couldn't find one under $1600.

Examples, you can get a Yoga 720 laptop for under $1600, but that's not their flagship product. The 920 is and it starts at $1650. You can get a cheap Dell XPS, but the cheapest high end one on Best Buy's site is $1629 and they range to over $2350. You can get a Surface for under $1600, but the Surface Book 2, the actual flagship, starts at $1500 and to put any decent specs into it brings the price to $2500 instantly, with a $2900 option also available. Razer Blade Pro? $3500. Alienware 17? $1700, on sale from $1900. Don't worry, there's a $3500 version available too. Alienware 15? $1650, down from $1850. Etc, etc.

In fact, every single brand that I searched for, as soon as I filtered onto the basics of "high end" specs, I was either getting 0 results or numbers in the $2000-3000 range with the exceptions listed above - which are almost all sale prices.

Fail features most people don't want are also known as features that failed in the market and became extinct. Whether or not you can find 5 or 10 people on a smartphone fanatic site to agree with you doesn't matter. The public, as a whole, does not value the failed features over the features that won out and survived.

So you think Samsung can out-spec Samsung, for cheaper, while throwing in market-extinct features and turn a profit? As I said, thank the gods that LG knows better than that. Otherwise they would soon be extinct as well.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Fail features most people don't want are also known as features that failed in the market and became extinct. Whether or not you can find 5 or 10 people on a smartphone fanatic site to agree with you doesn't matter. The public, as a whole, does not value the failed features over the features that won out and survived.

So you think Samsung can out-spec Samsung, for cheaper, while throwing in market-extinct features and turn a profit? As I said, thank the gods that LG knows better than that. Otherwise they would soon be extinct as well.

Samsung has long proven that removable batteries and high end audio don't matter to the masses based on the amount of units sold. The debates can go back and forth all day long but in the end the numbers tell the story.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I had to go to Best buy this past weekend to get my wife a new laptop, and decided to take a look at the new phones out.

$1200 for a new Note... Are you frigging kidding me ������

The rest of the the trip there was dealing with the laptop but everything I looked at was so expensive and boring...

I don't get it either. I mean the prices they are asking is just totally nuts.

Don't get me wrong, the new note has a beautiful screen as do the new iPhones but when you can buy a top of the line laptop for less, something is definitely not right here.

In this day of crazy prices for these glass backed sealed phones, having my v20 is awesome. Sure I am missing out on some things I suppose, but I am happy that I don't have to go broke trying to keep up with the rat race for now.

I know that LG won't go back to the removable battery, but IMHO they are making a huge mistake by not doing so. As good as the other phones are, they don't really compete with the the v20 on several fronts....not at the end of the day. The real nemesis of any phone is the battery and being able to swap out the batteries for a freshly charged one in seconds still rules Supreme.

LG was the leader in this and for whatever reason they refused to capitalize on it.

I am hoping that someone who works there will realize that the vast majority of people don't want to spend $1000 - $1200 on a cell phone irregardless of the opinions of the tech writers.

I would be willing to spend 1k if they upgraded my v20 and kept the removable battery though, then I would know they wanted to keep my business by giving me a phone that I wasn't tethered to a power cord.

My v20 is still awesome and going strong and I would be willing to upgrade it every 2 years for something truly better, but I can honestly say that there really isn't anything truly better that's going to make my life easier and that's what technology is supposed to do for us... Not just cost us more for less...

Mac

LG, I hope you're listening to us. I agree that phones are getting SO boring and becoming so bland yet extremely expensive. No more inspiration. LG is the only one still innovative and trying hard. I could understand their decision to get rid of the removable battery.. they had to do it to survive. Corporate big brands pay their way through the market, Google can release a phone with poor sales and still survive because they're so rich they can afford it. The leaked Pixel 3 is absolutely horrendous looking, the Note 9 is a boring re-hashed and over priced jewelery, a disappointment to the ORIGINAL Note series and a curved mess. The Galaxy S9 was also boring, no wonder sales are weaker, keep selling iPhone parts, Samsung... keep your day job. I have no idea how HTC is still around and surviving, same with Chinese brand Motorola.

Do you guys remember the iPhone 4? The glass back actually slides off after you unscrew it.. so MAYBE they can make removable glass and plastic blend back. But I understand, technology has gotten SO much better, it's not actually necessary. Snapdragon 845 is efficient and battery life will be phenomenal.

I don't agree with you about the AMOLED screen... it ages horribly and white colors don't look white enough. LG has the new ULTRA BRIGHT MODE which can ONLY be used on LCD... they are coming up with a new LCD screen that looks much better and more close to AMOLED, without the screen burn in problem.

I'm hanging on to the V20.. waiting to see what the V40 has to offer.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
LG, I hope you're listening to us. I agree that phones are getting SO boring and becoming so bland yet extremely expensive. No more inspiration. LG is the only one still innovative and trying hard. I could understand their decision to get rid of the removable battery.. they had to do it to survive. Corporate big brands pay their way through the market, Google can release a phone with poor sales and still survive because they're so rich they can afford it. The leaked Pixel 3 is absolutely horrendous looking, the Note 9 is a boring re-hashed and over priced jewelery, a disappointment to the ORIGINAL Note series and a curved mess. The Galaxy S9 was also boring, no wonder sales are weaker, keep selling iPhone parts, Samsung... keep your day job. I have no idea how HTC is still around and surviving, same with Chinese brand Motorola.

Do you guys remember the iPhone 4? The glass back actually slides off after you unscrew it.. so MAYBE they can make removable glass and plastic blend back. But I understand, technology has gotten SO much better, it's not actually necessary. Snapdragon 845 is efficient and battery life will be phenomenal.

I don't agree with you about the AMOLED screen... it ages horribly and white colors don't look white enough. LG has the new ULTRA BRIGHT MODE which can ONLY be used on LCD... they are coming up with a new LCD screen that looks much better and more close to AMOLED, without the screen burn in problem.

You trash the Pixel 3 and the Samsung 9 as phone with boring looks yet you cling to the glamour of the V20? I'm missing something. We get that you like what you like but why can't what you like stand alone on it's own without the need for you to compare and trash what others like?

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

They'll only hear you if you actually convert others to switch to LG.

Good luck!

ansa82

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site

When is ETA on V40 anyway? Anyone know?

Greedog

Aug 29, 2016
Visit site
You trash the Pixel 3 and the Samsung 9 as phone with boring looks yet you cling to the glamour of the V20? I'm missing something. We get that you like what you like but why can't what you like stand alone on it's own without the need for you to compare and trash what others like?
I'll agree with you on this. But, I think the point may be about the price of the phones now with really nothing interesting for what the price is.
I'll also agree with the original poster though. I Soooo like a removable battery. As well as a preamp and QUAD DAC.
I think that phone innovation has kind of plateaued and what another point that was trying to be made is that LG really knew how to take some chances in hopes of catching some more followers.
Well, I'll tell ya, they got me as a customer. I really liked what LG tried to do with the G5. It just didn't work out. I still have mine and it still works great.
LG was (I think) first to incorporate aptX. They still do. It's funny how the G5 has aptX HD and no quad DAC but the V20 has the quad DAC and only aptX.
There's so many really awesome phones out there now. But the G5 and the V20 are the only one's that, imho, have it all.
I'll be a sad day when these two phones need to be replaced.
My V20 is new to me but two years old now. Got it for $250 Canadian. Great phone still.
I think I'll stay at least one year behind the new stuff to save on the wallet.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I'll agree with you on this. But, I think the point may be about the price of the phones now with really nothing interesting for what the price is.
I'll also agree with the original poster though. I Soooo like a removable battery. As well as a preamp and QUAD DAC.
I think that phone innovation has kind of plateaued and what another point that was trying to be made is that LG really knew how to take some chances in hopes of catching some more followers.
Well, I'll tell ya, they got me as a customer. I really liked what LG tried to do with the G5. It just didn't work out. I still have mine and it still works great.
LG was (I think) first to incorporate aptX. They still do. It's funny how the G5 has aptX HD and no quad DAC but the V20 has the quad DAC and only aptX.
There's so many really awesome phones out there now. But the G5 and the V20 are the only one's that, imho, have it all.
I'll be a sad day when these two phones need to be replaced.
My V20 is new to me but two years old now. Got it for $250 Canadian. Great phone still.
I think I'll stay at least one year behind the new stuff to save on the wallet.

I have a V20 and one thing I hate is that they limit output for standard headphones. My Audio Technicas trigger the high output in noise cancelation mode but I still think using impedance to control output is silly. Impedance alone does not determine how much output a pair of ears needs to be driven. I use my Pixel 2XL with the Razer dongle and I get full output and great sound regardless of the ears. As for Bluetooth standards I prefer LDAC and I think I'm going up a set of Sony headphones.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I don't have to. With the leak of the Pixel 3XL and that absolutely appalling notch and boring single camera, they just might do it themselves. Samsung continues to release the same boring phone again and again. HTC and Moto are losing money each year.

https://youtu.be/a1XTAa-kBUU

LG probably sells more G7/V30 than Google sells Pixels. In terms of market share, the Pixel is no threat. The Pixel is definitely a threat in mind share though - people would rather talk about what Google is doing with the Pixels over anything LG does for their own smartphones.

LG needs to convince people to not buy Samsung or Apple phones (LG is third in their own country behind Samsung and Apple).

Samsung is releases the same boring phone over and over again. Sure. That's fine. Call it boring. How do you convince folks to not buy a Samsung phone for their next phone?

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
LG probably sells more G7/V30 than Google sells Pixels. In terms of market share, the Pixel is no threat. The Pixel is definitely a threat in mind share though - people would rather talk about what Google is doing with the Pixels over anything LG does for their own smartphones.

LG needs to convince people to not buy Samsung or Apple phones (LG is third in their own country behind Samsung and Apple).

Samsung is releases the same boring phone over and over again. Sure. That's fine. Call it boring. How do you convince folks to not buy a Samsung phone for their next phone?

Here's the thing: Google is a gigantic MONOPOLY. They buy and sell companies like Pokemon cards (Motorola, part of HTC, and many other apps/companies). Their sales for the Pixel was always low, pretending to be "out of stock" to create a false supply and demand, thus creating hype. They pay YouTube reviewers cash to "talk kindly" of their phone, even on this website too. That's called business and advertising. However, their sales are always weak and their products are just Google saying, "Look, we have our own version too!". VR? Not the best, Oculus wins. Chromecast? Weak.. people use Amazon TV. Pixel Chromebook? Overpowered junk, powerful so-called laptop that only can do cloud computing. Google has money, and money equals power.. had they been someone else, they'd be finished or bought out by now. Samsung number of sales are shrinking every year.. the top selling Galaxy phones were the S3 and S4. They make money doing other things, such as selling iPhone parts which they make much more money than their own phones. Samsung also has power too. HTC is on its last legs, literally. Motorola still has Lenovo's computer business keeping them alive. Apple is always number one for reasons unknown. I'm just saying it like it is and what I'm seeing happening right now. This new $300 Xiaomi Pocophone F1, if released to the US, will be a game changer.. extremely competitive Chinese brands can afford this kind of pricing.. let's see if the US will tax the heck out of them or not. Google can do whatever the heck they want and will not suffer losses.. they have play money like Monopoly.

Itsa_Me_Mario

¯\_(o_o)_/¯
Feb 19, 2018
Visit site
That was really difficult to read. If I understand what I think you're trying to say, my only conclusion is that just about everyone knows nearly every statement is false and that is somewhat comforting.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelrie