LG V20 Motherboard part question

KSudds21

Aug 30, 2018
Visit site
I was replacing my LG V20's headphone jack after it quit working and I accidentally popped off a small metal part from the motherboard. I'd like to know what the part does as it hasn't caused any problems yet. I've included an image and wondering if anyone can help, or tell me how I can reattach it.

Attachments

• lg+v20+repair+guide.png
    lg+v20+repair+guide.png
    464.8 KB · Views: 24

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
That looks like a bypass capacitor. It may not cause a problem, it may never cause a problem, or it may start causing a problem. It's used to keep signals off DC lines. There seems to be another one to the right of it, bypassing the same line, so you may be okay. (But it not, you're going to have to find a shop that can work at the component level, and not all of them can.)

BrokerDadFL

Dec 12, 2017
Visit site
I was replacing my LG V20's headphone jack after it quit working and I accidentally popped off a small metal part from the motherboard. I'd like to know what the part does as it hasn't caused any problems yet. I've included an image and wondering if anyone can help, or tell me how I can reattach it.

Yeah. I just took the whole phone apart (many times) and replaced the screen.

That golden part is a contact point to the case. It's electrical GROUND, or negative.

It is the same as the contacts next to it, right and left. So that's why you're ok.

Optimally, if you can find it and have the skill and tool to solder it back, you should. At low frequencies, contact points near each others are the same. However, at Gigahert frequencies, as in the clock speed of the motherboard, notice that they are spaced out at specific distances (a function of the wavelength frequency), they should make better signals. This is noticeable if you're at borderline situation, like a noisy environment. But at high signal environment, you won't notice the difference.

Sounds like you're in a good environment.

I miss one of those, too. And I lose Wifi signal which makes me wish that I can find one to buy.

BrokerDadFL

Dec 12, 2017
Visit site
Kudos to you for taking good picture!

If you can return the favor, please post a picture of the inside top plastic and inside bottom plastic. I want to compare contact points to those plastic parts, TOP and Bottom. Those should make contact with the Motherboard. It is said that the Antenae are embedded inside the plastics.

I see some missing contacts. And I don't have Wifi signal. So I would like to compare to a working phone, to know what contacts should be there.

Thanks so much.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site

That looks like the battery door sensor or electric ground wire which touches the back battery door. I think you're fine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samyblaze