Horizontal Turn Issue

TheFlyingPenguin

Sep 11, 2018
Visit site
Hello,

I have an LG V20 that is having an issue where it won’t auto rotate the screen when holding it horizontally. I’ve been looking around across multiple sites/forums trying to find a solution but have yet to rectify the issue. So far, I’ve tried the following -

-Factory reset the phone.
-Ensured that horizontal setting is enabled.
-Launched into safe mode.
-Cleared the system cache.
-I saw some posts with people saying they tried hitting the back of the phone or dropping it from a slight height, I tried this as well.
-I took the phone apart just to see if there was anything visibly wrong on the inside, I didn’t see anything.
-Tried leaving the battery out for a minute.

The phone flips itself horizontally if it’s using an app that auto flips into horizontal mode. For example, if a game is played in horizontal, it will auto flip to it. But, the phone won’t flip on it’s own otherwise - such as turning it sideways when browsing an internet page.

I also read on multiple forums to try performing a calibration of the phone under display settings. However, I do not have such an option. I’m on T-Mobile. I wasn’t sure if it would be advisable to root the phone, if a setting was possible to enable when doing this.

Does anyone else have any other suggestions on how to approach this?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Are you expecting horizontal mode on the home screen? If so, you'll need a third party launcher to do that, as the stock launcher doesn't have that ability.

Have you tested this with Google apps, like Chrome, Maps, or YouTube? Those do respond to auto-rotation. If those don't rotate with the phone, then you may have a hardware problem.

If it only rotates with some apps and not others, then it may just be how that app is programmed. For example, I've played several games that use horizontal mode, but only one way and flipping the phone results in nothing more than an upside down display (and I hate it because it means my volume buttons are on the bottom and thus easily pressed by accident).

EDIT: If you do suspect this to be hardware related and end up trying to do a warranty claim, don't tell them you were dropping/hitting the phone while trying to diagnose the problem. They'll likely deny the claim right out, saying you abused the phone.

TheFlyingPenguin

Sep 11, 2018
Visit site
Thank you for the response.

I've tried Chrome, Youtube and Maps - None of them will auto rotate. And no, I was not attempting to auto rotate on the home screen.

Unfortunately, the phone is out of warranty.

I also tested the 'accelerometer' with a hardware app called 'Advanced Tools'. It shows no values found on the X/Y/Z axis and says - Accelerometer sensor not detected.

Any other suggestions?

Thank you!

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I guess my suggestion now is either try to live with it, pay for a repair, or buy a replacement phone. I'm thinking it's a hardware issue at this point.

Last edited:

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
If it is a hardware issue, would you have any suggestion on what would need to be repaired/replaced?
No clue. Because they try to condense everything, it may need to have the main board itself replaced. In either case, make sure everything is backed up before getting it repaired. Chances are you'll lose your data during the repair process.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Puiman