09-30-2018 05:19 PM
29 12
tools
    Finally here for Verizon.
    Attached Thumbnails Oreo for Verizon is here-10388.jpg  
    09-17-2018 05:09 PM
    Finally here for Verizon.
    Nice. Wonder what it will entail as far as any changes.
    09-17-2018 05:18 PM
    Mine also.
    09-17-2018 05:20 PM
    Nice. Wonder what it will entail as far as any changes.
    Copied this from the other thread about everyone getting it by September 7th:

Immersive mode
    Improved settings menu including search
    Adaptive icon shapes
    App shortcuts
    Native auto-fill of passwords (more convenient and more secure than prior versions)
    Improvement to app notification settings - centralization
    Notification Channels
    Notification badges improved - reflects actual notifications
    Battery life improvements
    Better battery management settings
    Improvements to storage management
    Support for LDAC codec
    Improvement to blue light filter for Comfort view
    Native PiP
    Laura Knotek and huntnyc like this.
    09-17-2018 05:23 PM
    That's a pretty decent list of features.
    09-17-2018 06:02 PM
    Copied this from the other thread about everyone getting it by September 7th:

Immersive mode
    Improved settings menu including search
    Adaptive icon shapes
    App shortcuts
    Native auto-fill of passwords (more convenient and more secure than prior versions)
    Improvement to app notification settings - centralization
    Notification Channels
    Notification badges improved - reflects actual notifications
    Battery life improvements
    Better battery management settings
    Improvements to storage management
    Support for LDAC codec
    Improvement to blue light filter for Comfort view
    Native PiP
    Most of that I couldn't care less about. What I want to know is what useful features they removed.
    flyingkytez likes this.
    09-17-2018 06:32 PM
    Most of that I couldn't care less about. What I want to know is what useful features they removed.
    You don't have to update.
    09-17-2018 07:00 PM
    You don't have to update.
    I've had multiple phones on Verizon that ignore you and will self update anyway. After dismissing the update several times, one morning you'll wake up to a freshly updated and rebooted phone.
    09-17-2018 07:24 PM
    The update needs WiFi to download. Stay away from WiFi to avoid the eventual automatic update.
    09-17-2018 09:34 PM
    The update needs WiFi to download. Stay away from WiFi to avoid the eventual automatic update.
    Also not true, at least in my experience. My phones usually download the update over mobile data while I'm at work and have no Wi-Fi. Though, I seem to remember reading that this sort of "forced data use" isn't counted against your plan with Verizon.

Edit: I also have a tiered plan, so I kind of need my Wi-Fi access when at home, so keeping that off wouldn't work for me either way.
    09-17-2018 09:43 PM
    None of my phones on Verizon require WIFI to update.
    09-17-2018 10:51 PM
    Also not true, at least in my experience. My phones usually download the update over mobile data while I'm at work and have no Wi-Fi. Though, I seem to remember reading that this sort of "forced data use" isn't counted against your plan with Verizon.

Edit: I also have a tiered plan, so I kind of need my Wi-Fi access when at home, so keeping that off wouldn't work for me either way.
    I think you should update for the battery life improvements alone but ultimately it's your choice.
    09-17-2018 10:52 PM
    I think you should update for the battery life improvements alone but ultimately it's your choice.
    My battery is already about shot, so doubt I'd notice. Plus I'm never without a charger around.

I guess I'm a combination of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it," and a victim of Verizon fixing things until they are broken. I've been jaded on OS updates due to a lot of bad experiences over the years.
    09-17-2018 10:57 PM
    My battery is already about shot, so doubt I'd notice. Plus I'm never without a charger around.

I guess I'm a combination of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it," and a victim of Verizon fixing things until they are broken. I've been jaded on OS updates due to a lot of bad experiences over the years.
    Well I can't think of anything broken or lost in Oreo. Pie had some changes that some had objections with.
    09-18-2018 05:55 AM
    There is one thing that annoys me the most whenever I receive an operating system update. I lose all my chrome desktop shortcuts and need to start over again. Why can't they copy them over. Just needed to vent.
    09-18-2018 07:03 AM
    There is one thing that annoys me the most whenever I receive an operating system update. I lose all my chrome desktop shortcuts and need to start over again. Why can't they copy them over. Just needed to vent.
    Are you referring to your phone?
    09-18-2018 09:09 AM
    Are you referring to your phone?
    Yes, I save a lot of search results to my home screen and now they are all gone. I guess I should bookmark them but saving them to my home screen makes them eazier to open. Oh well lifes too short to worry about it.
    09-18-2018 09:27 AM

Yeah I agree, you should probably wait a bit longer.. maybe test out someone else's V20 with Oreo on Verizon and see if you like it. Once it's done, it's done.
    09-18-2018 01:31 PM
    Just disable the Verizon app and software update app. If you can't, just use the LG Package Disabler Pro app.
    09-18-2018 01:32 PM
    Yeah, I'd like to know too. Usually carriers are very sketchy about these things. AT&T has a habit of doing that and try to find ways for you to go over your data (such as deleting the data on/off toggle). Possibly the bloatware apps have been updated too to monitor your usage.
    09-18-2018 01:34 PM
    All mine are still there, but I'm using chrome beta.
    09-18-2018 06:40 PM
    so i updated mine today...and now i can't change the icons...one of the features i love about lg....now when i long press an icon i get the menu instead of the little blue arrow to change the icon...anybody else having this issue? i haven't seen this addressed anyplace else maybe i'm the only !diot who changes his icons, lol
    09-22-2018 03:09 PM
    Anyone know how to delete the pending update package? On past phones, I could clear the system cache, which would delete the downloaded update package as well. I just tried that now, and it's still in my notification bar. Haunting me. I did find the two "System Updates" apps in the app manager and deleted the cache on those. That removed the notification, but it wasn't much storage being used and I'm sure the installer package itself is still on my phone.

If I can't get it deleted, I'm pretty sure my days are numbered until it updates itself without my permission.
    09-24-2018 11:03 AM
    I am no expert on this matter. It kinda sucks that someone like us can't control what updates the phone will eventually download without your permission. Pulling out the battery when you sleep will delay the download a little longer. At least you can wake up with no surprise in the mornings until someone can figure out how to stop it. 😱
    09-24-2018 10:25 PM
    I am no expert on this matter. It kinda sucks that someone like us can't control what updates the phone will eventually download without your permission. Pulling out the battery when you sleep will delay the download a little longer. At least you can wake up with no surprise in the mornings until someone can figure out how to stop it.
    I use my phone as an alarm clock, though. At least where I work now, I don't have firm starting times and oversleeping generally isn't an issue if it happens.
    09-24-2018 10:31 PM
29 12