Oreo for Verizon is here

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Nice. Wonder what it will entail as far as any changes.

Copied this from the other thread about everyone getting it by September 7th:

Immersive mode
Improved settings menu including search
Adaptive icon shapes
App shortcuts
Native auto-fill of passwords (more convenient and more secure than prior versions)
Improvement to app notification settings - centralization
Notification Channels
Notification badges improved - reflects actual notifications
Battery life improvements
Better battery management settings
Improvements to storage management
Support for LDAC codec
Improvement to blue light filter for Comfort view
Native PiP

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Copied this from the other thread about everyone getting it by September 7th:

Immersive mode
Improved settings menu including search
Adaptive icon shapes
App shortcuts
Native auto-fill of passwords (more convenient and more secure than prior versions)
Improvement to app notification settings - centralization
Notification Channels
Notification badges improved - reflects actual notifications
Battery life improvements
Better battery management settings
Improvements to storage management
Support for LDAC codec
Improvement to blue light filter for Comfort view
Native PiP
Most of that I couldn't care less about. What I want to know is what useful features they removed.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
The update needs WiFi to download. Stay away from WiFi to avoid the eventual automatic update.
Also not true, at least in my experience. My phones usually download the update over mobile data while I'm at work and have no Wi-Fi. Though, I seem to remember reading that this sort of "forced data use" isn't counted against your plan with Verizon.

Edit: I also have a tiered plan, so I kind of need my Wi-Fi access when at home, so keeping that off wouldn't work for me either way.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Also not true, at least in my experience. My phones usually download the update over mobile data while I'm at work and have no Wi-Fi. Though, I seem to remember reading that this sort of "forced data use" isn't counted against your plan with Verizon.

Edit: I also have a tiered plan, so I kind of need my Wi-Fi access when at home, so keeping that off wouldn't work for me either way.

I think you should update for the battery life improvements alone but ultimately it's your choice.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I think you should update for the battery life improvements alone but ultimately it's your choice.
My battery is already about shot, so doubt I'd notice. Plus I'm never without a charger around.

I guess I'm a combination of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it," and a victim of Verizon fixing things until they are broken. I've been jaded on OS updates due to a lot of bad experiences over the years.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
My battery is already about shot, so doubt I'd notice. Plus I'm never without a charger around.

I guess I'm a combination of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it," and a victim of Verizon fixing things until they are broken. I've been jaded on OS updates due to a lot of bad experiences over the years.

Well I can't think of anything broken or lost in Oreo. Pie had some changes that some had objections with.

AtTheHop

Nov 20, 2016
Visit site
There is one thing that annoys me the most whenever I receive an operating system update. I lose all my chrome desktop shortcuts and need to start over again. Why can't they copy them over. Just needed to vent.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
There is one thing that annoys me the most whenever I receive an operating system update. I lose all my chrome desktop shortcuts and need to start over again. Why can't they copy them over. Just needed to vent.

Are you referring to your phone?

AtTheHop

Nov 20, 2016
Visit site
Are you referring to your phone?

Yes, I save a lot of search results to my home screen and now they are all gone. I guess I should bookmark them but saving them to my home screen makes them eazier to open. Oh well lifes too short to worry about it.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site

Yeah I agree, you should probably wait a bit longer.. maybe test out someone else's V20 with Oreo on Verizon and see if you like it. Once it's done, it's done.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Most of that I couldn't care less about. What I want to know is what useful features they removed.

Yeah, I'd like to know too. Usually carriers are very sketchy about these things. AT&T has a habit of doing that and try to find ways for you to go over your data (such as deleting the data on/off toggle). Possibly the bloatware apps have been updated too to monitor your usage.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrewsmith