should i buy another LG next?

walterkurtz

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
after receiving some great suggestions in my previous thread 'which LG should i buy next?' my LG V20 took a turn...

first the headphone jack seems to be wearing out after 13 months. i have to twist and turn headphones or adapters (i drive an old car) to get it to work correctly sometimes.

also, and most important. my verizon LG V20 has had a common problem where only the normal rear camera works. that's mostly ok with me. i don't shoot selfies and i rarely use the wide angle camera. but for $800 shouldn't both functions work?

i am calling verizon next to seek a replacement. but i am far more reluctant now to purchase another LG phone. what other brand or model compares?

thank you!!

gendo667

Trusted Member
Jun 6, 2015
Visit site
after receiving some great suggestions in my previous thread 'which LG should i buy next?' my LG V20 took a turn...

first the headphone jack seems to be wearing out after 13 months. i have to twist and turn headphones or adapters (i drive an old car) to get it to work correctly sometimes.

also, and most important. my verizon LG V20 has had a common problem where only the normal rear camera works. that's mostly ok with me. i don't shoot selfies and i rarely use the wide angle camera. but for $800 shouldn't both functions work?

i am calling verizon next to seek a replacement. but i am far more reluctant now to purchase another LG phone. what other brand or model compares?

thank you!!
Well, I'm wondering if you're using an aux port and there's a short in the cable? As far as the camera is concerned, I've never heard of such. Have you tried backing up and factory resetting?

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Of the current crop of flagship phones, I'd still sick with LG of you held a gun to my head. But in reality, none of them excite me and are in many ways a downgrade from the V20. If it's not too cost prohibitive, I'd get your V20 fixed and hold on to it.

Last edited:

gendo667

Trusted Member
Jun 6, 2015
Visit site
I'll chime in and say the V40 it's gonna be a beast. OLED panel, quad DAC, 845/6 gigs of RAM. Probably my next device. I had a boot looped G4. I have no issues going back to LG.

Greedog

Aug 29, 2016
Visit site
I'll chime in and say the V40 it's gonna be a beast. OLED panel, quad DAC, 845/6 gigs of RAM. Probably my next device. I had a boot looped G4. I have no issues going back to LG.
I'd like to chime in as well. There's still a ton of V20's out there in great shape. I'd love to get a V40 but I've vowed to myself to never buy another "just released" flagship phone. Just way too much money. Especially when I'm gonna lose the removable battery and headphone jack.
I don't mind staying a year or two behind to keep a lot of my money in my pocket. I just got my first V20 last November.
If the coin isn't an issue then go for it, man!

gendo667

Trusted Member
Jun 6, 2015
Visit site
I'd like to chime in as well. There's still a ton of V20's out there in great shape. I'd love to get a V40 but I've vowed to myself to never buy another "just released" flagship phone. Just way too much money. Especially when I'm gonna lose the removable battery and headphone jack.
I don't mind staying a year or two behind to keep a lot of my money in my pocket. I just got my first V20 last November.
If the coin isn't an issue then go for it, man!
Nothing against the V20. My in-laws got one apiece, on my advice and they love them. Just throwing out ideas.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Why don't you want Oreo. Did LG do something with the update? Is it gonna change an aspect of the V20 that you'd rather not change?
After looking at the list of upgrades, there's just nothing in it that interests me. At least not to the point of risking the various problems that can (and has, in my personal experience) pop up related to a glitchy rollout from the carrier. I'm also not a fan of having functions I commonly use rearranged, if not removed, which has also happened to me.

Security updates are one thing. OS updates have generally not been kind to me.

walterkurtz

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
Well, I'm wondering if you're using an aux port and there's a short in the cable? As far as the camera is concerned, I've never heard of such. Have you tried backing up and factory resetting?

there are many threads on the issue on reddit and here. none of their suggested fixes worked. actually the only thing that seems to help is opening up the device and reconnecting or replacing the camera.

basically what happened is the app crashed one day when i tried to go from normal to wide camera. after clearing cache and data and restarting it works again. but you can't get the wide angle to work and the selfie cam causes the same crash.

i have not tried a factory reset. i have had androids for maybe eight years and never found a meaningful way to back up info. whenever i get a new phone i feel like i am mostly starting over at least with half of the apps. i use mac computers and back up my phone to my gmail account. so i think at best its only backing up my contacts some apps and maybe the calendar.

with the headphone jack, i have noticed the problem with my apple earbuds, audio technica headphones and the cassette adapter i used to use in the car. that's a good simple suggestion i haven't tried though. so i will definitely blow some compressed air in there to see if it helps. but i think the device is just crapping out. i expect planned obsolence with phones but not after a year.

mine also has some screen retention but that doesn't bother me too much.

oh but back to the headphone jack @Greedog said the V40 won't have one. is this true?

are there no other great flagship phones? i tried a samsung for a week when i first went android and it felt cheap. does anyone like google motorola HTC anything else??

THANK YOU!!!!!!

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
there are many threads on the issue on reddit and here. none of their suggested fixes worked. actually the only thing that seems to help is opening up the device and reconnecting or replacing the camera.

basically what happened is the app crashed one day when i tried to go from normal to wide camera. after clearing cache and data and restarting it works again. but you can't get the wide angle to work and the selfie cam causes the same crash.

i have not tried a factory reset.

I had the exact same camera issue, and a factory reset didn't fix it. I had extended warranty on mine, so I was able to exchange it at least. My replacement has been going strong.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site

thank you!!

LG V40 was just announced. I'm going to wait for that one.. you should too. In the mean time, just buy a cheap phone as a temporary phone to use ($100 or less).. maybe you can find a cheap prepaid phone at Walmart for the time being. There's a 5 camera setup, which is unheard of.

You could get a Note 9 but it's nearly identical to the Note 8... Samsung has been playing it safe lately and releasing boring phones. I've heard Samsung's telephoto lens was fake and didn't actually work but just zooms in. All my time owning Notes, I never used the S Pen. The 4000mAh may seem nice on paper on the Note 9, but that thing is heavy like a brick (look up the weight compared to the V30 on GSMArena). The pricetag is really high too, it's like $1000 or more. I don't care what you say, I refuse to accept a 12MP camera.. resolution is too small for me and I zoom/crop photos all the time and I can see the difference. The Pixel 3 will have an absolutely hideous notch (biggest notch ever), and still only a single camera setup.. plus it looks like they are using the painted coated plastic back again for some weird reason, and releasing candy colors (plus no micro SD or headphone jack, but you're paying $850-900+ for it). Huawei and OnePlus is trying way too hard to be Apple (design and UI).. plus I don't trust Chinese phones.. they both also no longer have the headphone jack (their newest flagships).. again trying too hard to be like Apple. I don't recommend Apple, they are overpriced and plus they implement planned obsolesance on their phones ( #batterygate ). You could buy a V30, V30+, or V35 but I was disappointed with it and it's not that different than the V20.. the G7 is nice but the notch might be annoying for some people, plus the size is smaller than the V series. So just wait for the V40.

lg_v40_thinq_carmine_red_4.jpg

Last edited:

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Well the secondary lens didn't work at all.. a Reddit user tried using it, then covering his finger on the lens and tried again. No difference. Useless lens.
It does work, but Samsung was misleading on its use. A user here had a similar problem and it has to do with lighting. In low light situations, the app is programmed to use the regular lens with the wider aperture. If you try to zoom in, it only digitally zooms the regular lens. In bright lighting, the app will switch to the telephoto lens when zooming in. It's not as intuitive as Samsung led users to believe, but it isn't fake.

Greedog

Aug 29, 2016
Visit site

i have not tried a factory reset. i have had androids for maybe eight years and never found a meaningful way to back up info. whenever i get a new phone i feel like i am mostly starting over at least with half of the apps. i use mac computers and back up my phone to my gmail account. so i think at best its only backing up my contacts some apps and maybe the calendar.

with the headphone jack, i have noticed the problem with my apple earbuds, audio technica headphones and the cassette adapter i used to use in the car. that's a good simple suggestion i haven't tried though. so i will definitely blow some compressed air in there to see if it helps. but i think the device is just crapping out. i expect planned obsolence with phones but not after a year.

mine also has some screen retention but that doesn't bother me too much.

oh but back to the headphone jack @Greedog said the V40 won't have one. is this true?

are there no other great flagship phones? i tried a samsung for a week when i first went android and it felt cheap. does anyone like google motorola HTC anything else??

THANK YOU!!!!!!
I don't think I said the V40 wouldn't have a headphone jack. I said it wouldn't have a removable battery.
Audio is LG's flagship thing. They better not get rid of the jack.
I've always said.. "Nobody does phone audio like LG.
I guess it's possible I said that. If I did, I'm retracting it now. Cuz I surely didn't intend to.

Greedog

Aug 29, 2016
Visit site
I don't think I said the V40 wouldn't have a headphone jack. I said it wouldn't have a removable battery.
Audio is LG's flagship thing. They better not get rid of the jack.
I've always said.. "Nobody does phone audio like LG.
I guess it's possible I said that. If I did, I'm retracting it now. Cuz I surely didn't intend to.
I "did" say it! Don't know what I was thinking.
The QUAD DAC would be kind of useless without it. And that is one of the main reasons I buy LG phones.
My bad! Sorry!