US996 model Oreo update pushed back to end of January

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
lgsecresp.jpg

The US996 unlocked is the same model as the US CELLULAR version.. so that resulted in a push back of the Oreo update due to issues with US CELLULAR.. there's a lengthy process of updates and the final step goes to the carrier.

Again, don't worry too much, the update isn't that much different. There's a couple of small changes but other than that, there's not much to look forward to.. no improvement in camera, battery is more or less the same. UI looks a little different (more cartoony and bold font). Some users don't recommend the update, with some people having problems with fast charging and other problems.

harpo95993

Nov 30, 2018
Visit site
View attachment 294746

The US996 unlocked is the same model as the US CELLULAR version.. so that resulted in a push back of the Oreo update due to issues with US CELLULAR.. there's a lengthy process of updates and the final step goes to the carrier.

Again, don't worry too much, the update isn't that much different. There's a couple of small changes but other than that, there's not much to look forward to.. no improvement in camera, battery is more or less the same. UI looks a little different (more cartoony and bold font). Some users don't recommend the update, with some people having problems with fast charging and other problems.

Well I've owned several LG phones and this will be the last. Never gone 2 years on any other phone without getting an update to the OS. LG's track record of late is horrible when it comes to updates so buyer beware.

mghia

Sep 21, 2018
Visit site
Can someone explain this to me. I bought several of these on line that were supposed to be US 996but came as anything from SPrint, ATT, Mide East Africa version of 990DS, Taiwan 990DS, .

The unbranded phones only have minor differences so why should there be such a delay? I am not sosure the US996 unlocked is the SAME as the USCell 996 as there is no branding so WHY would there be ANY delay to roll out Oreo?
Last update letter I got from LG about the AME 990ds was that the update would come in December. SO far nothing and if they have other Dual sim phones running orea what is so different between the DS models that they all cant have the update by now?

Same with the US996. If the H915 (Canada) has it, if ATT and other carriers have it, and if US996 factory unlocked does not have any carrier to worry about, WHY would there be a delay? I do not want US996 US celluar bloatware and WOULD NOT expect it, so why then would their be a delay.

BTW my email was that ALL other models would get the Oreo update December. But as we see LG is jerking our chains and making up crap. Again, someone please explain how my phone is SO different that Oreo is being TESTED still. On ATT I did not notice any issues with fast charger or other problems. I did perefer some of the feature changes with Android 8 and have it on other devices so would like them to get in gear.

This phone if WAY MORE ADVANCED than the Chuwi Hi9 pro tablet I have running Oreo so can not imagine why it would run poorly on this handset.

But OK, if they have LEGIT thing to work out, then I would rather wait than to have bugs.
However, wasn't there another post that they realized there was a back door something on the system and hinting the delays are due to them trying to close the loop hole?

I just want to be sure I will get Oreo or as rumored Pie, before I make my final decision to keep this phone.

I am not sure I can trust it will come out as it seems to be a stock answer to respond that it will come out "next month
This is what wsa sent to me on Nov 16, 2018. THe reason it was Middle-East LG was because at the time I was asking about the H990-DS AME version and the USA LG gave me that email.

"Thank you for writing to LG Electronics Middle-East.
Please let us express our sincere apologies for the concern you facing.

Please note that LG V20 mobile phones are expected to receive the Oreo update by December, Kindly make sure to switch On the auto-update option in your device to receive the latest updates for your model.

We are committed to providing you with the level of service you expect from LG. We value you as a valued customer and appreciate any additional feedback you may have in the future.

Best Regards,
LG Customer Service Department "

mghia

Sep 21, 2018
Visit site
Despite having automatic download set in the menu I had to manually Search and then it popped up that the OS was available.
Now how long to we have to wait for pie? There was a report this phone will get it so I don't understand why there's this needs to go in order other than to limit the upgrade ability.right now this phone has more processing power than many of the phones that have come out with pie.

MADDAN

Sep 19, 2010
Visit site
Same here (Manual push) Based off some rumored release dates, PIE was coming out Feb of this year (LOL) we would be lucky to get anything else for this phone. I just hope LG doesn't let this remarkable phone die. I don't see any future "removable battery unlocked" phones from any current or future manufactures. The sad thing is, that's the selling point and popularity of this phone. Nonetheless, 8.0 seems to be working quite well. The only thing I was hopeful for was a dark mode...That appears to be on 8.1 and I don't expect that.

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
I got the update today. I'm using an unlocked US996 on Verizon.
20eb5d68dc93e7442b4f7541bd57f5de.jpg

Daspoo

May 27, 2013
Visit site
I wish my experience was as good as yours sounds to have been. I feel like Oreo is nowhere near polished on the V20 - I'm having notifications work partly on the phone, and for some apps not at all. Really weird. I'm just one or two more issues away from factory resetting again (just did it a few months ago) to try to resolve things, but I'm still unsure if that will even help. Anyone else experiencing Oreo issues?

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
I haven't had any issues with notifications (or with anything else). Battery life has been fine as well.

I did not do a FDR after installing Oreo.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech