It's time to do this for me. I ring it in it will cost me a hundred and twenty bucks to fix and instead I can do it for about $65 with an Amazon kit. I've seen the videos doesn't look impossible but not simple.

The information on Amazon is so scant you don't really know what you're getting. You basically get what the v20 had like the same Gorilla Glass? I got my phone from eBay and I wouldn't be surprised if mine had a broken screen and they replaced it with garbage. Who knows.
    02-01-2019 02:39 PM
    Gorilla Glass 5 isn't breakproof. it's scratchproof. Think about it - the harder something is, the more difficult it is to scratch, but the easier it is to break. Uncooked spaghetti snaps like, well, spaghetti. Cooked? It's almost impossible to break, but you can scratch it with anything harder than a feather.

How difficult is it? That depends on the condition of your screen. Many small pieces? I wouldn't bother, I'd replace the screen. Removing 500 little pieces of glass without taring the screen or overheating it is just about impossible. 2 or 3 large pieces? That may be possible. But clear nail polish may do it. Or crazy glue. Or a windshield repair kit. It depends - again - on the condition of the screen. If it's not too bad, even putting a glass protector on it might hide the breaks.

But if it's really badly broken ... why do you think that the price of replacing the digitizer and replacing the screen is almost the same? They're insulating themselves against charging $200 to replace a totally smashed digitizer, only to be told that the customer's friend had a digitizer replaces last week for $90. (One crack, that doesn't even go all the way through the glass, is pretty easy. A smashed screen could take an hour, with long breaks every few minutes [so almost a full day] hust to remove all the old screen.)

Without seeing the screen I can't tell you - you'll have to look at it and decide. (But each piece of glass has to be removed separately, and you have to remove all of them, even sand-grain sized pieces. And removing shards, even if they're heated, can cause them to break, so you remove most of the shard, leaving 4 or 5 tiny pieces - each of which has to be removed - usually with tweezers. And that's the point at which you risk burning the screen.)
    02-01-2019 03:25 PM
    If it was me, I would just pay the $120 to fix it. You are savings what $60 bucks? It is not worth the aggravation if you never have done it before. Definitely not worth my time to fix it myself. You will end up so pissed off chances are, and what happens if you accidentally break it while installing the new one? 🙄
    02-01-2019 03:25 PM
    Rukbat makes sense, that $120 is probably just the screen, which if cracked could be a pain to be removed and probably extra cost. So the $65 is compared to $200. I'll give it a shot. The videos are great.
    02-02-2019 06:54 PM