V20 Wi-Fi connection issue

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
It may be a compatibility issue with the router if it only happens on one network. My home Wi-Fi is like that sometimes with my V20.

k9cousin

Sep 13, 2014
Visit site
When I connect to either 2.4 or 5.0 with excellent signal it drops out after a few minutes. Every piece of **** LG I've ever owned since and including the G3 had that issue. This is my last LG for sure

kal_el_5011

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
When I connect to either 2.4 or 5.0 with excellent signal it drops out after a few minutes. Every piece of **** LG I've ever owned since and including the G3 had that issue. This is my last LG for sure
Has this been on any network or just a particular network? You live in apartment or dorm or anything that would be a consistent in wifi?

My v20 has only had wifi problems when the network has issues. Also, I'm sure you have tried but does a factory reset help any?

k9cousin

Sep 13, 2014
Visit site
This is happening on my home network. Not sure if this is normal with Wi-Fi technology in general but I have noticed that even when I'm connected to the network with a strong (excellent) connection, the phone is still always searching for a connection. The list of available networks that are in range is amazing. At times there are 10-15 in the possible connection list. We are in a private house and the homes are not too close together in my opinion but seems like an extraordinary amount. Is there a way to maybe somehow mask the other networks from my router? Its a FIOS Quantum Gateway. I'm thinking maybe the other networks also have a strong signal and competing with mine. Don't know but I'm guessing here

kal_el_5011

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
This is happening on my home network. Not sure if this is normal with Wi-Fi technology in general but I have noticed that even when I'm connected to the network with a strong (excellent) connection, the phone is still always searching for a connection. The list of available networks that are in range is amazing. At times there are 10-15 in the possible connection list. We are in a private house and the homes are not too close together in my opinion but seems like an extraordinary amount. Is there a way to maybe somehow mask the other networks from my router? Its a FIOS Quantum Gateway. I'm thinking maybe the other networks also have a strong signal and competing with mine. Don't know but I'm guessing here
Have you tried forgetting all the network connections you normally use and then reconnect as is it was the first time?

just.some.schmuck

Apr 13, 2018
Visit site

If you have that many WiFi signals in your area, I would recommend doing a site survey. I have never had a problem with my V20, but I do use a program called "Wifi Analyzer", there are a few apps with that name, the one I use is made by "farproc", but I'm sure other apps do the same thing.

(Reference to attached pic)

Once you have the app installed and open, if it doesn't default there, click the EYEBALL looking icon near top of app and select channel graph. This will show you all the WiFi signals near you, their signal strength and the channel they are using.

The number directly under the peak of the arch is the channel number a signal is using. In my area, it seems most AP's are on ch. 1, ch. 6 or ch. 11. My AP is named Aristo (yeah like the cheap LG phone), you can see it is on ch. 9. Basically pick a channel with the least activity or overlap, and manually configure your AP to use that channel. I'm using 2.4GHz since I still have some older devices that don't have 5GHz. The app will do either. If using 5GHz, click the light grey area under the word Wifi to switch.

This may or may not fix your problem, but it never hurts to have your AP on the least congested channel in your area.

Good Luck.

Capture+_2019-03-12-04-14-55[116].jpg

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
I have noticed that even when I'm connected to the network with a strong (excellent) connection, the phone is still always searching for a connection.
When you're on the WiFi page, the phone is going to be searching, regardless of any other setting. It's assumed that you're there to find a WiFi signal to connect to. It stops searching as soon as you leave that page. (You don't use that page to see how strong the signal is.)

The list of available networks that are in range is amazing. At times there are 10-15 in the possible connection list. We are in a private house and the homes are not too close together in my opinion but seems like an extraordinary amount. Is there a way to maybe somehow mask the other networks from my router? Its a FIOS Quantum Gateway. I'm thinking maybe the other networks also have a strong signal and competing with mine. Don't know but I'm guessing here
That's probably not the problem (due to what's known as the "capture effect", but you could use Wifi Analyzer, as just.some.schmuck suggested (or one of the analyzer apps that shows 5GHz also, and use 5GHz on your router if it gives you enough coverage throughout the house). But normally, a dozen other signals won't cause a problem. (I'm the 9th house on the block and I keep the signal until I reach about the second house, as I'm driving down the block - and 2 other houses are on the same channel I'm on [which is the least congested channel when I'm home].)

But choose 1 or the other, 2.5 or 5 - don't have them both on. They could be competing for the phone's connection. (If 5GHz works, use it, so you don't get interference from microwaves and Bluetooth.)