Insane screen retention on refurbished V20

uraniumhexoflorite

Oct 19, 2017
Visit site
I just got a new V20 after my G4 died (rip) but it looks like the V20, which I bought refurbished off Amazon, is having insane screen retention issues. It can be fixed temporarily by having a gray screen on at max brightness but the screen keeps retaining stuff. Is this normal? Should I return the phone? Thanks in advance for advice and help.

Last edited:

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I just got a new V20 after my G4 died (rip) but it looks like the V20, which I bought refurbished off Amazon, is having insane screen retention issues. It can be fixed temporarily by having a gray screen on at max brightness but the screen keeps retaining stuff. Is this normal? Should I return the phone? Thanks in advance for advice and help.
I would return it if you can .

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
This is the Achilles heel of the V20. For whatever reason, they are are prone to this happening, and a replacement phone/screen will have it too. I'd still rather have this than any other phone right now. I'm of the belief that most every phone, regardless of make and model, is going to have some inherent design flaw. Temporary image retention is a rather minor annoyance compared to other problems I've seen.

uraniumhexoflorite

Oct 19, 2017
Visit site
So this is a normal amount of retention for a V20? It is tolerable, but I would prefer to get a V20 with less image retention if possible. Is there a way to combat this retention (kinda like how OLED phones with always on displays move the image slightly)?

Last edited:

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
My original V20 was that bad. I got a refurb for an unrelated warranty exchange, and it developed retention in less than a month.

vasekvi

May 5, 2013
Visit site
Unfortunately, there are only two variations of the V20. Those that have screen retention, and those that are yet to have it.

uraniumhexoflorite

Oct 19, 2017
Visit site
I think I may have found a solution to the issue. There is an app called sfilter that is a blue light filter but can also be used to fix retention. It was mentioned in some other threads so I decided to try it out. There are 2 slider thingies on the page that it opens to that get set to 10% and then enabling the blue light filter seems to fix it. I will keep an eye on it though to make sure it is actually working.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I think I may have found a solution to the issue. There is an app called sfilter that is a blue light filter but can also be used to fix retention. It was mentioned in some other threads so I decided to try it out. There are 2 slider thingies on the page that it opens to that get set to 10% and then enabling the blue light filter seems to fix it. I will keep an eye on it though to make sure it is actually working.
Good luck. I tried the filter tricks with no change besides a darker screen.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay