Hello,
    I just bought a new in box LG V20. However, I'm not sure if it is actually new. The earbuds that it came with were surprisingly bad, the kind sellers throw in for free,and the box was a little dirty inside. I bought and returned an LG G7 Thinq and the earbuds that came with it were quite good, nothing like the one that came with this V20. The volume buttons are also sunken in and don't always work. I brought the phone to the carrier it was with and the IMEI is clean and the phone works fine, it's definitely not stolen. Is there a way to tell how old the phone is from the settings?
    04-27-2019 06:11 PM
    Most V20s did not come with earbuds at least not in the US. My V20 had a preorder earbud promotion and I received B&O earbuds. Did the phone have a plastic peel off wrap? With the imei number you should be able to register it and see how much warranty would be left if they honor it.
    gls680, Laura Knotek and aximtreo like this.
    04-27-2019 06:21 PM
    My V20 also didn't come with earbids so I got the B&O as well on promo after. Is the charge port tight? Also the battery cover gets considerably looser after use swapping batteries, which not everyone does. Is the film on the rear cameras still?
    gls680 and Laura Knotek like this.
    04-27-2019 06:33 PM
    Thank you for the quick replies. Okay, I just registered the phone and it says it has a 1 year parts and labor warranty so I guess that means it's new. I will send an email to LG about the 2 year warranty though. The phone came with a sticker on the front but no sticker on the back or on the cameras and the charge port is tight. When I checked out the IMEI, it said the phone was manufactured in late 2016 and it has the B&O branding on the back. Maybe it was one of the earliest V20's.

I guess the part that confused me was that on the settings, it says the Warranty Date Code is 10/01/2017 10:52 and wasn't sure what that meant. But also that the earbuds looked almost exactly like the cheap earbuds I got for free when I bought an mp3 player off ebay. The ones with the V20 had the braiding at the lower end but the upper part with the remote and earbuds looks exactly like the cheap earbuds and it also sounds exactly like them. It just seems odd that they would ship really bad earbuds for a phone that's known for its audio. However, in the box, there was a smaller box that looked like it was for earbuds specifically.

But I don't know. The phone looks brand new though, not a scratch on it. Since it seems like the warranty is still good on the registration website, I guess that means the phone is fine and new.

Thank you for all the suggestions!
    04-27-2019 07:54 PM
    Thank you for the quick replies. Okay, I just registered the phone and it says it has a 1 year parts and labor warranty so I guess that means it's new. I will send an email to LG about the 2 year warranty though. The phone came with a sticker on the front but no sticker on the back or on the cameras and the charge port is tight. When I checked out the IMEI, it said the phone was manufactured in late 2016 and it has the B&O branding on the back. Maybe it was one of the earliest V20's.

I guess the part that confused me was that on the settings, it says the Warranty Date Code is 10/01/2017 10:52 and wasn't sure what that meant. But also that the earbuds looked almost exactly like the cheap earbuds I got for free when I bought an mp3 player off ebay. The ones with the V20 had the braiding at the lower end but the upper part with the remote and earbuds looks exactly like the cheap earbuds and it also sounds exactly like them. It just seems odd that they would ship really bad earbuds for a phone that's known for its audio. However, in the box, there was a smaller box that looked like it was for earbuds specifically.

But I don't know. The phone looks brand new though, not a scratch on it. Since it seems like the warranty is still good on the registration website, I guess that means the phone is fine and new.

Thank you for all the suggestions!
    I beleve B&O models were not sold in the US. That model should have included earbuds and they should say B&O on them. If so they are not cheap buds but they do have a thin wire.
    gls680 likes this.
    04-27-2019 09:35 PM
    I bought my V20 used. Despite performing a factory reset the lifetime calls field did not reset. So if you see a number in this field greater than zero, it may be used or a refurbished unit... although if refurbished the factory may have a way to reset this.
    gls680 likes this.
    04-27-2019 09:42 PM
    How to tell if LG V20 is new?-screenshot_2019-04-27-17-40-27_li.jpg
    Here are my lifetime calls. The phone has been factory reset a few times since I got it but I haven't been able to make calls on it (I'm with Google Fi). I think I only made maybe 3 calls on it. Also, this is a pink verizon V20 but to my knowledge, the V20 never came in pink for the verizon models. I don't think the seller knew that this might not have been a brand new phone since it was still shrink wrapped. It was also under a no return policy so I don't want to cause trouble if there's a good chance the phone is fine. However, if it does sound like the phone might not be as described, I would like to return it. The volume buttons are very wonky and only work half of the time but physically, that's the only problem. I think I will also email LG to see if they ever made a pink US verizon V20. The IMEI checks out fine though, I contacted verizon twice about this phone and they found no problems with the IMEI from their end. I also was able to register the phone on the LG website using the serial number.
    04-27-2019 11:41 PM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_2019-04-27-17-40-27_LI.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	148.9 KB 
ID:	302522
    Here are my lifetime calls. The phone has been factory reset a few times since I got it but I haven't been able to make calls on it (I'm with Google Fi). I think I only made maybe 3 calls on it. Also, this is a pink verizon V20 but to my knowledge, the V20 never came in pink for the verizon models. I don't think the seller knew that this might not have been a brand new phone since it was still shrink wrapped. It was also under a no return policy so I don't want to cause trouble if there's a good chance the phone is fine. However, if it does sound like the phone might not be as described, I would like to return it. The volume buttons are very wonky and only work half of the time but physically, that's the only problem. I think I will also email LG to see if they ever made a pink US verizon V20. The IMEI checks out fine though, I contacted verizon twice about this phone and they found no problems with the IMEI from their end. I also was able to register the phone on the LG website using the serial number.
    Something is off. VS995 is a Verizon model but they never had a B&O model and no pink. It came in silver and titanium on Verizon. If it's pink, someone changed out the color or they may have flashed the software. Also if it's a B&O model it would have B&O play software but since it comes up as VS995 I doubt that. Probably just swapped out the color bezels and back.
    If new it would also have a plastic protector over the entire back camera with cutouts for the camera.
    gls680 and Itsa_Me_Mario like this.
    04-28-2019 12:06 AM
    Ok, that's what I was thinking. I wrote out an email to LG and realized the serial number on the box is different from the serial number on the phone's settings but the IMEI is the same. It sounds like what you said, they switched out the casing. I would really like to return the phone and hopefully have enough reason to do so. Out of curiosity, is it normal for the V20 to drain about 1% a minute because that's what I'm getting? Thanks again!
    04-28-2019 12:58 AM
    Ok, that's what I was thinking. I wrote out an email to LG and realized the serial number on the box is different from the serial number on the phone's settings but the IMEI is the same. It sounds like what you said, they switched out the casing. I would really like to return the phone and hopefully have enough reason to do so. Out of curiosity, is it normal for the V20 to drain about 1% a minute because that's what I'm getting? Thanks again!

Battery drain would depend on what you're doing with it.
    04-28-2019 01:46 AM
    ...was still shrink wrapped.
    I think it's safe to say this wasn't a brand new phone, but I would just like to throw this out there as an fyi to you and anyone else looking to buy a "new" V20 our similar phone that LG doesn't shrink wrap their phones. They, and most other manufacturers, put protective films on the front, rear, and sides of the phones.

As for the battery issue, the phone was originally released over two years ago. Even if this was a truly brand new phone, it would still likely have a degraded battery just from sitting in the warehouse all this time. While I'm sure yours is degraded, I do think this is not necessarily to do with the fact this is a used/refurbished phone.

Good luck returning this if you attempt it. If you paid by credit card, you may be able to contest the charge as not as advertised if the seller is unwilling to take it back. Other payment services may have similar policies.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    04-28-2019 10:22 PM

I will send an email to LG about the 2 year warranty though.
    Even if you manage to get a brand new V20, even directly from LG if they still sold them, they would only ever come with a 1 year warranty. The first phone LG offered with a 2nd year promise was the G6, which came out after the V20.
    04-29-2019 02:40 AM
    Even if you manage to get a brand new V20, even directly from LG if they still sold them, they would only ever come with a 1 year warranty. The first phone LG offered with a 2nd year promise was the G6, which came out after the V20.
    You're right. I forgot that the V20 wasn't part of that.
    04-29-2019 11:16 AM
    The seller agreed to accept the return. The box was shrink wrapped, not the phone, so the seller had no idea what the condition of the phone was, contents, or that the serial numbers didn't match up. The phone had only one film on it and it was on the front. Yeah, I guess the battery was degraded though.

Thanks for all the help! Should have asked all this when I received the phone.
    04-29-2019 01:11 PM
    Thanks for all the help! Should have asked all this when I received the phone.
    Glad they are working with you, and now you know.
    04-29-2019 01:15 PM